Loot drops MUST be added to this game

Iceman.9074

Guys, I have played the game off and on since it came out and I must say I get bored very quickly. I love every aspect of this game and it is without a doubt one of the best MMO's out there but one thing keeps me leaving over and over. No loot. Yes there is loot in dungeons but they are not casual friendly at all. Groups boot you and if you don't know what your doing well your not welcome in most groups. When out in the world which is the best part of this game there is no loot dropping unless your fighting a major boss and that gear is not as good as the set you bought at the AH. so why even get into a boss fight... your gear will not be better than what you already have?? There needs to be gear out in the world which drops which is better than the gear you buy for just a few gold on the AH. Just my 2 cents... (Or take away the gear on the AH which is so superior).

I don't think the gear system in GW2 works the way you would like. Sounds like you are looking for traditional gear progression system where better gear is the motivator to do anything. That does not happen here. Once you are at cap level and have your gear then, that basically is the gear you are going to use forever, there won't be gear progress after that anyway. Cosmetics is the thing here.

Your gear does not come from drops unless you are a low level and scrambling for pretty much anything. The gear that drops is just treasure you can sell (although usually salvage then sell). If you are not wearing at least exotics you use that treasure to buy better gear but once you are happy with your gear you just buy new skins or whatever.

edit: VERY rarely you will get an ascended drop but this does not happen often.

@Iceman.9074 said:so why even get into a boss fight... your gear will not be better than what you already have??

Because it is fun. If fun isn't your motivation to do something in this game, it probably is as simple as this isn't the game that you are looking for. This game is built on doing things because you find it fun. If you think have constant gear upgrades dropping is fun, then you are at odds with a core tenet of this game, which is end game gear is supposed to be easy to acquire and that having to rely on loot drops is unfun.

@Iceman.9074 said:Guys, I have played the game off and on since it came out and I must say I get bored very quickly. I love every aspect of this game and it is without a doubt one of the best MMO's out there but one thing keeps me leaving over and over. No loot. Yes there is loot in dungeons but they are not casual friendly at all. Groups boot you and if you don't know what your doing well your not welcome in most groups. When out in the world which is the best part of this game there is no loot dropping unless your fighting a major boss and that gear is not as good as the set you bought at the AH. so why even get into a boss fight... your gear will not be better than what you already have?? There needs to be gear out in the world which drops which is better than the gear you buy for just a few gold on the AH. Just my 2 cents... (Or take away the gear on the AH which is so superior).

To put this in would kill the game outright since the game was sold on the idea of no gear treadmill and people would in all likely leave in droves. I'm all for exclusive skins to drop, but never for better gear. The tiers are set for life in this game now. Also, exotic gear does drop from all kinds of open world mobs including bosses.

@Iceman.9074 said:Guys, I have played the game off and on since it came out and I must say I get bored very quickly. I love every aspect of this game and it is without a doubt one of the best MMO's out there but one thing keeps me leaving over and over. No loot. Yes there is loot in dungeons but they are not casual friendly at all. Groups boot you and if you don't know what your doing well your not welcome in most groups. When out in the world which is the best part of this game there is no loot dropping unless your fighting a major boss and that gear is not as good as the set you bought at the AH. so why even get into a boss fight... your gear will not be better than what you already have?? There needs to be gear out in the world which drops which is better than the gear you buy for just a few gold on the AH. Just my 2 cents... (Or take away the gear on the AH which is so superior).

The gear you mention as being in the AH (trading post, not auction house fyi) comes from loot drops.

No loot? It feel like I'm drowning in it all the time.

I've looted random level 80 rares and at least one exotic casually swatting level 10 trash as I run by. Ectos are good loot. I've also never bought blood, as Bears in Frostgorge drop it often enough and I don't even farm them, I just kill the annoying ones. Loot is a lot better now than it was when Champions dropped vendor junk and not much else.

@Fatalyz.7168 said:

@Iceman.9074 said:so why even get into a boss fight... your gear will not be better than what you already have??

Because it is fun. If fun isn't your motivation to do something in this game, it probably is as simple as this isn't the game that you are looking for. This game is built on doing things because you find it fun. If you think have constant gear upgrades dropping is fun, then you are at odds with a core tenet of this game, which is end game gear is supposed to be easy to acquire and that having to rely on loot drops is unfun.

YEA, OP! Listen to this guy. Didn't you know that it's FUN to wipe 12 times in a row with atrocious fractal pugs, day after day, and get nothing but a "ding" sound for your work?

We can't have gear treadmills. And the only way IN THE UNIVERSE to prevent that is by tuning the game so that you can be eternally maxed out across all your characters in 4 months.

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@Fatalyz.7168 said:

Didn't you know that it's FUN to wipe 12 times in a row with atrocious fractal pugs, day after day, and get nothing but a "ding" sound for your work?

This sounds like a you problem. Don't like wiping 12 times in a row with atrocious fractal pugs, day after day? Don't run with fractal pugs, instead build up a group of friends or join a group of people (read: Guild) that like to do fractals and are at your own skill level, or enjoy playing the way that you do.

Take responsibility for yourself. You don't like doing something, don't do it, it doesn't get any more simple than that.

@Iceman.9074 said:so why even get into a boss fight... your gear will not be better than what you already have??To get drowned in trash that you then sell for gold. Then buy yourself reward from TP or convert gold to gems and buy yourself a reward from the gemstore. Reward being a skin you don't have. Exciting isn't it?

@Fatalyz.7168 said:

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@Fatalyz.7168 said:

Didn't you know that it's FUN to wipe 12 times in a row with atrocious fractal pugs, day after day, and get nothing but a "ding" sound for your work?

This sounds like a you problem. Don't like wiping 12 times in a row with atrocious fractal pugs, day after day? Don't run with fractal pugs, instead build up a group of friends or join a group of people (read: Guild) that like to do fractals and are at your own skill level, or enjoy playing the way that you do.

Take responsibility for yourself. You don't like doing something, don't do it, it doesn't get any more simple than that.

You still missed the point (and probably on purpose, since you excluded my second paragraph from your quote). Whether the run is successful or excruciating, I get nothing but a "ding" sound for running it. If I joined an awesome guild, and cleared every raid wing three times a week for half a year, I would not gain one point of power, precision, ferocity, etc that I don't already have. Nor would I gain any convenient, QOL items that I don't already have.

And I don't care how I look. Please don't even invoke the disgraceful fashion-wars meme. I want to work hard and get paid. But there are no meaningful rewards left in this game because of the irrational phobia people have for "gear treadmills."

Once again... Whether you agree or disagree with me, PoF is a perfect illustation of my point. Once you hit that wall, where you don't need anything else from some content, the incentive to continue playing it disappears.

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@Fatalyz.7168 said:

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@Fatalyz.7168 said:

You still missed the point (and probably on purpose, since you excluded my second paragraph from your quote). Whether the run is successful or excruciating, I get nothing but a "ding" sound for running it. If I joined an awesome guild, and cleared every raid wing three times a week for half a year, I would not gain one point of power, precision, ferocity, etc that I don't already have. Nor would I gain any convenient, QOL items that I don't already have.

And I don't care how I look. Please don't even invoke the disgraceful fashion-wars meme. I want to work hard and get paid. But there are no meaningful rewards left in this game because of the irrational phobia people have for "gear treadmills."

Once again... Whether you agree or disagree with me, PoF is a perfect illustation of my point. Once you hit that wall, where you don't need anything else from some content, the incentive to continue playing it disappears.

Sounds like you're playing the wrong game then.

GW2 was deliberately designed that way right from the start, just like GW1 before it. If you were expecting a gear treadmill or super-powerful drop from bosses that's because you hadn't looked into the game before buying it.

@Fallesafe.5932 said:Once again... Whether you agree or disagree with me, PoF is a perfect illustation of my point. Once you hit that wall, where you don't need anything else from some content, the incentive to continue playing it disappears.

You probably came here after have spent time on other mmo with "progression".Now you are simply realizing that without someone that order you to play or to lose your character you are lost.

GW2 is not the best mmo for sure, but still it offers a way out of what mmos are now like.Stop focusin on getting powerful and better forever, and instead try to learn again to play in order to have fun ( and maybe to unlock some particular skin or item you want ).

If you feel that there's nothing else to do, take a break and play something else.As a filler game it does its work wonderfully ( i use gw2 that way, though sometimes i play it way more! Like now ).

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@Fatalyz.7168 said:

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@Fatalyz.7168 said:

And then you missed my point. Guild Wars 2 was never marketed as a gear treadmill game, and in fact was marketed as the exact opposite. That is one of the pillars of this game. So if getting gear drops and increasing constantly in power is fun for someone, this is quite simply the wrong game, for that person.

It's not about me disagreeing with you, it's the developers of the game disagreeing with you, and I support their decision, as do a lot of others that they attracted to the game with their no gear treadmill marketing. It's not an irrational phobia, it's that people (including the devs for Anet), wanted a game that did not have gear treadmills. Not for fear, but because those people (myself included) are tired of having the gear and items that we do acquire, be invalidated because someone else thinks it is a good idea to keep introducing more power to the game through stats. Because, believe it or not, not everyone has fun constantly chasing a carrot. Some people have fun, just by actually playing the game, and enjoying what it has to offer, without the need to get stronger.

I still go back to PoF maps all of the time, and I already have everything I want from those maps, I did the first time I played through. What is my incentive to still go back? Simply that I enjoy it and I have fun there. I enjoy the ambiance, the events, and just have fun playing my characters in that content. I understand that that doesn't work for everyone. Then again, this game wasn't really made for those people that want to keep getting stronger through gear acquisition instead of through player skill. This will always remain a game where getting to the best gear (statistically) is trivial.

TL:DR - It's still a YOU problem, because you want the game to be something that it is not nor ever will be.

Archived