"If only I knew" (Spoilers)

Rikimaru.7890

This is very amusing if you think about it. During the story side-quest where you collect the memory crystals of Vlast one of them recites "The death of the jungle dragon has accelerated our sire's rise." And then our character says "If only I knew." My reaction to that was "umm what about the Sylvari getting enslaved by Mordremoth?"But things got really out of control when I was replaying the story on my Sylvari Ranger as she simply said the exact same thing "If only I knew."I'm like what? A Sylvari character could at least say something like "I had no choice, if I didn't kill it I would be one of it's servant's by now."

Another such thing happens during the Crystalline Memories mission. I also did the story with my Engineer who happens to be a Charr from the Iron Legion, I made my Engineer with such a backstory because according to lore the Engineer originated from the Iron Legion. But anyway during the mission while checking what the Forged were building Rytlock says "The Iron Legion would kill for plating like this. And has. Several times over." And of course my Engineer who happens to be a Charr ftom the Iron Legion did not change the dialog nor did he have anything to say about Rytlocks comment.

It's pretty clear by now that some playable races just don't fit the story. Human characters are the most consistent as far as the story goes, many other players started to notice that since our characters got to join the Shining Blade in LW3. I mean by playing anything else than Human you would be like the only non-human in the order, which awkwardness escalates if you are playing a Charr.In fact the Human backstory can have the most link's with the current story. For Example everyones favorite nudist Lord Faren a.k.a. "Swordsmaster" Faren is your friend if you choose "Nobility" as your upbringing. And for those who thought the White Mantle first appeared in HoT and LW3 you are wrong. In fact the White Mantle was here from the start as you can encounter some of them if you choose "Unknown Parents" as your regret, who later you find out were members of the Shining Blade killed by the White Mantle.So not only does it make the White Mantle a natural enemy for you from the start, but also your parent's being members of the Shining Blade makes it all the more consistent with you later joining the order yourself.

And much of the personal story was about Trahearne and his mission to cleanse Orr.Heart of Thorns had a LOT to do with Sylvari with tons of extra dialogue about them.I remember in an interview they said that Path of Fire would be a Human-centric story.

I guess after Sylvari and then Humans, some other race should take the lead in LWS4 and the next expansion.Charr maybe next?

When HoT was released a lot of people said the same thing, except with the sylvari. Insisting the story - all of it, not just HoT - was written with the intention that the player character was a sylvari and then adapted for the other races. They presented evidence like the earlier (and therefore more detailed and less sudden) introduction of Trahearne in the sylvari personal story, additional dialogue for sylvari characters during HoT, 2 lead villains (Scarlet and Aerin) being sylvari, relying on the Pale Tree to provide info and get all the races to work together instead of each character going to their own government 1st, and probably a bunch of other things I've forgotten.

Now we've got a primarily human-centric update I've seen quite a few people saying the entire game is focused around humans. And if the speculation that the next update will focus on the norn and going into the far north to deal with Jormag (and Braham) is true I fully expect people to start saying the entire game is designed around playing a norn and all the other races are an afterthought.

As for your specific examples I don't see anything wrong with either of them. "If only I knew" (that killing Mordremoth would make all the other dragons more powerful and cause havoc all over Tyria) fits for any race, because the point is we didn't consider any other option or any consequences before we did it. It wasn't necessarily a choice between killing Mordremoth or leaving him to do whatever he wanted, we might have been able to find another way to stop him, but we didn't even attempt to look for one.

And that's in spite of the fact that before the game came out and when we first meet them in the Personal Story we're told the 3 Orders (who make up the Pact) hadn't already united because they disagree on how to handle the dragons. Only the Vigil wanted to kill them originally, the Priory was looking for a way to survive their attacks without directly confronting them and the Order of Whispers was looking for a way to send them back to sleep.

And for the second one, what is there for your character to say? If anything Rytlock's line should have been removed since he's telling you something your character would obviously already know.

Archived