Who is buying Trick or Treat bags and why?

ekarat.1085

@ekarat.1085 said:If so many people are making money selling their bags, then people have to be paying that money to get the bags.

Who is doing that and why?

• People who hope to be luckier than average & get high value loot for less than market price.
  • People who like the frisson of excitement that comes anticipating getting a 'good' drop.
  • People who are speculating that the current ToT prices are far below their future prices, if not in 3-6 months, then perhaps next year (if ANet substantially changes the drop tables).
  • People looking to establish drop rate data (at least two people have published results on 100k bags each; I'm sure there are others who have done the same).
  • People who... how can I say this delicately... math wasn't their best subject and they've misunderstood the value of the contents compared to the cost of the bags.

As a tip, it's (nearly) always financially better to sell containers (such as ToTs) at the best price you can get & use the resulting coin to fund purchase (at the lowest price you can get) of the specific contents you really want. That goes for the torch, refractors, etc. (There are exceptions, but those mostly only apply to speculators & power traders.)

@Ayakaru.6583 said:ToT bags get cheaper at the end of halloween, buy 2 bank slots worth of bags, wait a few months, list, and profit. Maybe half a silver per bag, but the speed at which orders fill make it worth it. 250 times 50c, times a bank slot

This seems to be a thing that is commonly cited, but anyone who bought bags during the event last year for the purposes of reselling lost money and wasted bank space. Buy order prices during last halloween stayed above 5 silver. In the year following, bags peaked at 5s78c for a very short time, which is still at least a 10c loss after taxes. Consider that prices stayed closer to 5s aside from the short peak near april, and anyone who did what you say likely realized losses when they dumped the bags to clear out bank space. Best time to buy is wintersday when people who took a break come back and clean out all the old halloween festival stuff to make room for wintersday stuff.

Who is buying them? Probably the same folks who buy BL keys, dye packs and all the other lucky roll containers - people who are agnostic to the cost and want to take a chance at getting something good. People who want to gamble on the phospho infusion or the new torch or whatever else they are after. When the mini ghost dog gwynyfrywhywhatyever was introduced, mini collectors bought tons and tons trying to get it.

I mostly wouldn't buy any but I did drop around 10 gold on some today to see if I could get Touch of Madness without resorting to the TP price. I didn't (nor did I get anything else worth more than 6 silver on the TP) so I went ahead and buy-ordered Touch and had it in minutes. Now if I do get Touch later I can sell it, likely for profit, and I'm not fussed about anything else from the bags. I just would have felt bad spending on Touch without at least trying a tiny investment first just to see.

They're buying them because those bags have a small chance to drop some very valuable items, and they aren't happy with the amount they can earn themselves and have extra gold. Most bag type items with potentially anything good in them that can be traded sell for a decent amount because in GW2 its pretty easy to get everything you actually NEED and after 5 years some people have giant stacks of gold that they just play with on the TP.

i bought 3k bags because i only lost 2g for a stack of 250 bags, i got an infusion last wintersday so i wanted to try get 1 from halloween too. but i didnt get 1 from the bags i bought... i always open the bags i get because i want to know whats in it. and farming 250 bags is not very fast, so for me its not fast money. guildys sell their bags.and because i got the infusion last wintersday i wanted to try my luck again in 2017 so i lost some gold. yes i feel bad about it but i cant happen. from the tot bags i got some weapons worth low money, if the price dont increase then i use the skin for myself.

@titje.2745 said:i bought 3k bags because i only lost 2g for a stack of 250 bags, i got an infusion last wintersday so i wanted to try get 1 from halloween too. but i didnt get 1 from the bags i bought... i always open the bags i get because i want to know whats in it. and farming 250 bags is not very fast, so for me its not fast money. guildys sell their bags.and because i got the infusion last wintersday i wanted to try my luck again in 2017 so i lost some gold. yes i feel bad about it but i cant happen. from the tot bags i got some weapons worth low money, if the price dont increase then i use the skin for myself.

You got SUPER lucky to get the infusion.I opened around 10k bags last wintersday and gone nothing. A friend of mine opened over 15k as well and nothing.After that we both only sell bags.

@titje.2745 said:i bought 3k bags because i only lost 2g for a stack of 250 bags, i got an infusion last wintersday so i wanted to try get 1 from halloween too. but i didnt get 1 from the bags i bought... i always open the bags i get because i want to know whats in it. and farming 250 bags is not very fast, so for me its not fast money. guildys sell their bags.and because i got the infusion last wintersday i wanted to try my luck again in 2017 so i lost some gold. yes i feel bad about it but i cant happen. from the tot bags i got some weapons worth low money, if the price dont increase then i use the skin for myself.

On average, opening the bags is worth less money (and costs you time) than selling the bags on the TP. Some people are going to be lucky and do far, far better than average. But that's similar to the odds of winning the lottery: on average, we get back 50% of our ticket costs, but that's because a tiny fraction win BIG while the rest of us get nothing at all. With ToTs, most of us get about 70% of the bag value while less than 1% get the truly valuable drops.

Of course, if you enjoy opening the bags for its own sake, and don't mind risking the loss of a few gold per stack, keep opening. There's no law that says that economic efficiency is more fun than rolling the dice; it's just more efficient.

Archived