What's currently up with the Inquest

Jinroh.4251

The only thing I know about them lore wise is that their leader was killed but they are still very much active. We saw them in Dry Top but no where else after that. I haven't played Season 3 so I can't comment if the showed up to do anything on that. Will they make a return in POF as minor enemies again, making labs in the Crystal Desert? Or are they too disorganized to do anything threatening anymore?

The Inquest is organized enough to survive the death of Kudu. He wasn't even the leader of the Inquest, just of one krewe. The Inquest have labs scattered on the far reaches of the Tyrian region. I believe there was an Inquest outpost in Draconis Mons, the map from Episode 5 of season 3, but it's been a while since I was there so I don't remember what they were studying besides the imprisoned druid spirit. Of course, that could have been enough for them.

Kudu wasn’t the leader of the inquest, he was the leader of the dragon-magic-study-krewe, i dont think they gave us the official name. Obviously he had a lot of pull within the inquest, but when an inquest dies, the others care about his office at best.I must admit im kinda sad anet left them out of the story, as it stands, i think they can be a main villain overcompasding even the elder dragon, when united under a strong office

Honestly, the Inquest seem to be one of the best-organized and most aggressively expansionist racial antagonists right now. Since the end of the launch story, they've cropped up three or four times, more than the Nightmare Court, the Sons of Svanir... really, any group except the White Mantle. They lost their biggest lab, but they're structured to survive that; whatever dirt Zojja took to the Arcane Council, it clearly didn't stick, considering the Inquest councilor was confirmed to still have a seat during Scarlet's nonsense. But, like the Mantle, it's very unlikely we'll get a true update on them until they get a release or two of their own. Until then, they're just chugging along in the background, doing the same thing they do every night- try to take over the world.

Kudu wasn't the Inquest's leader. He was only a cell head which ran the research on Elder Dragons. We don't even know if they have a singular leader.

We know their Elder Dragon research continued at least a little after Kudu's death too, given the events of Arah explorable. But they've remained just as active in other fields (particularly in dealings with the White Mantle's bandit front, and their research of Rata Arcanum).

Effectively the answer is "not much", since they were never given a strong blow either - same with the Sons of Svanir and Separatists being largely unchanged. Only the Flame Legion, White Mantle/bandits, Renegades, and Nightmare Court were severely hindered in regards to player race evil factions.

Ahh sorry for confusing Kudu as being the leader. I guess I got him mixed up during that one dungeon. I just want to know what's up their sleeve as of late. Though I wouldn't be surprised either if Flax was one of them. The entire Arcane Council seems just as bad as the Inquest.

No worries; it's an easy mistake to make. He's the only Inquest character that is given any prominence past level 10, he's fought as the final boss of the largest Inquest base the same way Faolain and Gaheron are the final bosses of the largest Nightmare Court and Flame Legion bases, and he shows up at three separate points throughout the story, more than any of the other dungeon bosses. If ANet treats him like the Main Man, we're going to walk away thinking he's the Main Man.

I do think the Arcane Council's goals are too distinct from the Inquest's for Flax to be one of them, though. The Inquest are after power, essentially for powers own sake. They want control of the Eternal Alchemy. The Arcane Council just wants A.) respite from all the petty nonsense that makes up their day job, B.) the continued survival and superiority of the asura race, and C.) in a couple cases, personal political power. Flax is manipulative and amoral, for a certainty, but he doesn't have the same ambition and megalomania that define the Inquest. IIRC, there're even points where Flax sides with us against the Inquest during the Snaff Prize arc... and considering how rarely he's on screen, that's not insignificant.

@Redfeather.6401 said:They are in season 3, as Rognik mentioned. I didn't explore their labs well enough to know what they were doing there, but polar bear in a volcano? Something's up.They were hired by "Lazarus" to guard the volcano as a means to delay the player. They were also there to investigate Zinn's labs or w/e.

It's mentioned they discovered that Lazarus was Balthazar, but decided to keep that information restricted to their higher ups.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Inquest splintered after Kudu's death. You know how Asura are, always trying to dominate their peers. I'm sure we'll hear more of them when a new leader surfaces.

Either that, or maybe the Inquest realised that being openly evil was actually costing them operatives and research.

Archived