From Daredevil to Deadeye

Shirlias.8104

I have waited since gw2 release for rifle as thief weapon ( Scarlet Kiss and Magitech to honour her memory \o ), but now that rifle is avaible i am feeling a bit uncomfortable.For 2 years i was used to "Dash", the improved dodge from DD traits... and now, moving without it seems to be crippled.Just wanted to share the feeling...

...i am the only one superduper happy with the new Elite but also sad to say goodbye to DD traits?

ps: ofc i know it's part of balance, but still after 2 years of dash it's more like playing a very different class.

Yeah, you're not the only one. It's a huge change going from a super nimble DareDevil to a Deadeye turret. ;)

When I heard about Deadeye I decided I was going to make Predator, I have everything ready to go and now I'm not so sure. I mean it's an interesting class and definitely has its place in the game (it seems to have great support potential). I'll just have to play it a while and see.

You might find it more fun if you try it with a different thief.

My Daredevil is a small human in a brown bodysuit that blends in with lots of backgrounds. Basically, a ninja. My Deadeye-to-be is a charr in black armor. The two have never been played the same way, and never will. Losing the speed on my DD would drive me nuts, it's part of who he is. But with my charr, I've never had that speed and I don't expect it to be there. There's no real feeling of "I've lost something here" to sour the class.

I'm doing something similar with all of the elite specs.

Play core thief for the remaining week, I don't think most of us will have a big problem getting used to rifle play. If you're really concerned about muscle memory or whatever play s/p and shortbow and try to play a mobile game around not interrupting Pistol Whip and maybe play Shortbow like you would Staff.

@Geiir.7603 said:Yeah, I'm going to struggle with the loss of mobility too. Palador probably have the best solution so far.

Honestly if you want another ninja spec try mirage, from a thief perspective its really fun. Ignore the mesmer comunity that cries that its onyl good at dueling. :)

@Mayama.1854 said:

@Geiir.7603 said:Yeah, I'm going to struggle with the loss of mobility too. Palador probably have the best solution so far.

Honestly if you want another ninja spec try mirage, from a thief perspective its really fun. Ignore the mesmer comunity that cries that its onyl good at dueling. :)

It looks fun

wouldnt be cool if Anet designed a system that allowed you to save 2 or more sets of specializations with their corresponding armors and weapons saved alongside it and allowed you to change between them with a single click after being off combat for a brieft time (say, 10s as to not abuse it in middle of a fight)? that way one could enjoy using both elites and switching between them when they feel like they will soon be needing one more than the other

@Tora.7214 said:wouldnt be cool if Anet designed a system that allowed you to save 2 or more sets of specializations with their corresponding armors and weapons saved alongside it and allowed you to change between them with a single click after being off combat for a brieft time (say, 10s as to not abuse it in middle of a fight)? that way one could enjoy using both elites and switching between them when they feel like they will soon be needing one more than the other

Build Templates are legal from deltaconnected just happened two days ago. It doesn't function with Legendaries yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/704oem/build_templates_actual_release/

This is what elite specs is all about, radical gameplay change :)

You don't have to say goodbye to DD, simply switch when you feel like playing one or the other.

As for DE speed, well I'm going back to use AC with speed on dodge, as well as energy rune on shortbow. I suggest you to play s/d condi, staff or core d/p from time to time, you will get used to limited mobility again.

@nacario.9417 said:im rly annoyed with the loss of swiftness application, they should make rifle #2 apply its swiftness without having a target, right now deadeye feels just too slow

That was my main gripe that everything was so target dependent in general, but that one especially bugged me. It's not like it's just free swiftness either so either they decided to purposefully be dicks about that one feature or maybe they overlooked a few things here and there.

@Shirlias.8104 said:I have waited since gw2 release for rifle as thief weapon ( Scarlet Kiss and Magitech to honour her memory \o ), but now that rifle is avaible i am feeling a bit uncomfortable.For 2 years i was used to "Dash", the improved dodge from DD traits... and now, moving without it seems to be crippled.Just wanted to share the feeling...

...i am the only one superduper happy with the new Elite but also sad to say goodbye to DD traits?

ps: ofc i know it's part of balance, but still after 2 years of dash it's more like playing a very different class.

It took some time to get used to it. But it wasn't a terribly big deal. I've played for a long time as core thief before HoT came out. Going back to it will feel slower, but not necessairly like I got my knee caps smashed in.

I've had a chance to play it in PvP against both the newer specs, and the HoT specs. Honestly, it doesn't feel too bad outside of the kneel feeling clunky to use. Going turret mode doesn't feel horrible against specs who can jump on your face in a heart beat either. You have tools to deal with it, and cantrips by definition are defensive spells.

I tried deadeye before I tried daredevil because not even an expack made me want to continue playing this format/game. I couldnt have cared less they were expacking this game after they destroyed the franchise from gw1 to gw2. I didnt play hot until after pof preview weekend.

So I knew nothing about mobility while testing deadeye although its not much to lose if you can fit rune of the lynx into the build.

@Palador.2170 said:You might find it more fun if you try it with a different thief.

My Daredevil is a small human in a brown bodysuit that blends in with lots of backgrounds. Basically, a ninja. My Deadeye-to-be is a charr in black armor. The two have never been played the same way, and never will. Losing the speed on my DD would drive me nuts, it's part of who he is. But with my charr, I've never had that speed and I don't expect it to be there. There's no real feeling of "I've lost something here" to sour the class.

I'm doing something similar with all of the elite specs.

This is exactly my line of thought. Rather than transitioning a character from one play style to another, which can be quite jarring, in some cases it might be better to simply create two separate characters with distinct play styles. That way when you want the fast and zippy Daredevil, they're still there to use at your leisure, but if you want the more tactical, less mobile sniper, you can play that without feeling any loss.

It also has another benefit. There's doubtless going to be situations where certain elite specs or builds will be better for different kinds of content, or you might simply enjoy them more in said content (for example, with warriors you might want a Berserker in PvE, and a Spellbreaker in PvP/WvW where their anti-player skill set shines more), and this disparity will grow as more elite specs are added. Rather than having to change gear and traits every time you switch game modes or content, it's easier to simply switch already geared characters that are set to go without delays.

yea i was going to do the same thing multiple times but never have they had a save skills and armor templates in gw1 and didnt carry that over in gw2 even leaving out basic things they already had muchless formats.

I used to keep a thing of my saved builds and the dat file on a seperate hard drive and could easily reinstall the game and have everything due to the save templates feature hundreds of builds.

Deadeye isn't meant as a replacement for Daredevil though, its just two different (and even opposed) playstyles. If you're happy with DD, just keep playing it imo, i personally found it annoying, i dislike bouncing around non-stop and always preferred more "surgical" approaches to doing damage so Deadeye suits me a lot more but that's the whole point of it, finding what suits you.

Not really. I quit Daredevil in anticipation for Deadeye, knowing I would basically have to get used to doing more with less, so I rolled Core S/D with Acrobatics, and I found that Acrobatics if bloody great. Trait Acrobatics and there you go, full mobility. Not as much as Daredevil, mind you, but still pretty damn quick.

Now if you're running rifle... Well, you're running rifle so what do you expect? You're going to Hit/Get Hit(reflects) like a truck, but you're not going anywhere.

@theodor.3480 said:With deadeye if you take your time, you can breeze through the story. Use whithraw and roll for initiative and you are golden.

Yeah i'm finding Deadeye a lot better suited for solo play than Daredevil, you take a lot less damage and have better tools for most situations except AoE (which isn't a huge deal in solo play).

Have to play smart though, if you try to play Deadeye like Daredevil...you're going to have a bad time. Not saying one is easier than the other, like i said above they're just vastly different. With Deadeye i pay close attention to my positioning, always try to keep mobs away using Stealth and NPCs i have with me (during story instances) or just using Thieves Guild, otherwise i use line-of-sight a lot, if there's pillars or walls i stay near them to duck out of enemies attacks etc.

One mistake i made early on was trying to rely on kneeling too much which makes it difficult to dodge about anything, i hardly ever use it now unless i have complete control over the battlefield, swapping to pistols when i need to quickly nuke something instead of even using Death's Judgement.

This playstyle has just been a lot more fun to me, i barely ever die now while as a Daredevil usually one meant going down, Deadeye can just sustain incoming damage a lot better if you play Shadow Arts with Shadow Rejuvenation, for example while even trying to stealth felt counter-productive as a Daredevil.

Build Here : http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZIQNAU8YlsMhunYjTwwJw+EL+E2WA410A4bl1ydJXIoC8BA-jxAXgAPKB7V/BQ5HA-e

@TwiceDead.1963 said:Not really. I quit Daredevil in anticipation for Deadeye, knowing I would basically have to get used to doing more with less, so I rolled Core S/D with Acrobatics, and I found that Acrobatics if bloody great. Trait Acrobatics and there you go, full mobility. Not as much as Daredevil, mind you, but still pretty kitten quick.

Now if you're running rifle... Well, you're running rifle so what do you expect? You're going to Hit/Get Hit(reflects) like a truck, but you're not going anywhere.

For the reflects i switch out my Pistols for a Sword/Dagger set, you can steal the reflect boon with it.

Archived