[Video] Soulbeast PvP - Quickdraw Survival (Longbow + Sword/Warhorn)

Za Shaloc.3908

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeEMJxrCdyI&feature=youtu.be

Hey all! Just having some fun on my Soulbeast. Decided to put myself out there and show a little bit of the spec in action since I haven't seen this build used yet. I may start recording more videos since I finally got the software for it. Druid was fucking me up badly, but aside from that it was a decent match. I don't think one-sided matches are particularly enriching to watch, so I figured I'd post a close game. Comment any advice if you so desire. I'm not the best player by any means, and honestly think Druid is still a superior choice over Soulbeast in Conquest, but I find Soulbeast really fun (despite its bugs), so have been going with that.

The build (linked below) has been my go-to so far, with minor variations. I mostly like to just have fun in Unranked since there are so many Spellbreakers running rampant. I don't see too many people taking Dolyak Stance, but I prefer it over Lightning Reflexes because of how great it is for securing stomps and that it ignores movement-impairing effects. With all the vigor uptime from Skirmishing, I don't see as much of a need for LR.

Build: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBjYD7kQFokFshFwhXgqFswIYNPgOXIgJcd0CA5L3m70tkzlG-jpxHQBib/hA+AAAwBBYgHBgrVGwgXAAA

This is what I usually run, but I will change runes depending on the condi pressure. I rotate mostly between Leadership, Surging, and Lyssa (for high condi pressure fights), sometimes choosing more damage-oriented runes like Scholar.

Most Soulbeast builds I see use Greatsword, but I am much more comfortable using Sword/Warhorn. Smokescale is my go-to pet, and it's hard to pass up the utility it brings with the weaponset, especially with Quickdraw (lots of stealth potential). Wilderness Survival is by far a necessity with all the condis everywhere, but for my last traitline I've found Skirmishing to be the most useful for my playstyle (took @extremexhero.9178's advice taking this line). Tons of vigor, which means even more evades, and the quickness uptime on sword is fantastic (especially with Leadership runes). Whereas Skirmishing may not be as much direct damage as say Marksmanship, Quickdraw makes up for it IMO (double Rapid Fire, Long Range Shot, etc.). I've tried all the other traitlines, but find Skirmishing the most versatile. I'd like to give Nature Magic more of a go, but only if Fresh Reinforcement was baseline because Unstoppable Union is too damn important with all the projectile hate. Specs I struggle with the most are Spellbreakers and Mirages, by far.

Hope you enjoy!

Hi, seen as no one has made comment I have few ideas that might be worth looking at to help improve your build. Nice to see different builds.

Second Skin, maybe might be worth changing to Essence of Speed or Predator's Cunning. You have decent amount of QZ access maybe there is something there, I just don't see much of uptime in terms of Protection with your build. You also have decent amount of access to Poison via Refined Toxins and your Sword, so Predator's Cunning isn't bad option for your build. I would only use Second Skin if you're using Nature's Magic traits.

Sigil of Fallibility, I've ran tests it doesn't really add much damage, you're better off taking +5% passive sigil.

Also Eternal Bond, I used to like the Trait but after lots of matches I noticed doesn't really help, your better off taking Oppressive Superiority boost your damage.

Primal Reflexes, is such nice trait to have combo's nice with sword.

I've never been fan of Quick Draw, not sure why maybe I just felt wasn't worth it.

Only problem I see with your build is condition control, if it wasn't for Jacaranda you be in rather tough spot. I run almost max condition remove with most of build and 90% time I die to conditions... Wish they lower stack amount and do something about this cancer.

Other than that nice, keep up good work maybe you can find ways to improve ya build and get stronger.

Hey, I didn't watch the whole thing but you did pretty decent from what I saw.

I'd recommend watching your skill usage a little bit more though. You used Hunter's Shot for no reason sometimes. Save it for when you need to stealth, not just thrown in as extra damage or something.

If you want to practice in game, hmu @S H A D O W F A L L

@Sol.4310 said:Hi, seen as no one has made comment I have few ideas that might be worth looking at to help improve your build. Nice to see different builds.

Second Skin, maybe might be worth changing to Essence of Speed or Predator's Cunning. You have decent amount of QZ access maybe there is something there, I just don't see much of uptime in terms of Protection with your build. You also have decent amount of access to Poison via Refined Toxins and your Sword, so Predator's Cunning isn't bad option for your build. I would only use Second Skin if you're using Nature's Magic traits.

Sigil of Fallibility, I've ran tests it doesn't really add much damage, you're better off taking +5% passive sigil.

Also Eternal Bond, I used to like the Trait but after lots of matches I noticed doesn't really help, your better off taking Oppressive Superiority boost your damage.

I've never been fan of Quick Draw, not sure why maybe I just felt wasn't worth it.

Only problem I see with your build is condition control, if it wasn't for Jacaranda you be in rather tough spot. I run almost max condition remove with most of build and 90% time I die to conditions... Wish they lower stack amount and do something about this cancer.

Other than that nice, keep up good work maybe you can find ways to improve ya build and get stronger.

Hey, I appreciate the response! Thanks for taking the time to write all that out.

I take Second Skin because of the WS line (Companion's Defense). You are right that it still doesn't amount to that much protection uptime, but with Leadership runes and the great vigor uptime I have, it makes it just a bit better. I just honestly don't think the other two are competitive in their current implementation. Predator's Cunning lacks much of a punch, but I hadn't considered that the quickness from Strider's Defense would trigger Essence of Speed, so maybe that is worth a try.

Yeah, the 5% damage is probably a better choice, but I use it more as a cover condi to help keep my poison applied to the enemy (and to potentially cover immob from entangle/Jacaranda). Sometimes I do switch it out though, because poison on Spellbreakers basically does nothing to them with their insane resistance uptime.

You may be right about Oppressive Superiority, but the fact that it is so conditional in PvP makes me shy away from it. I at this point like having the little safety net EB offers. I have actually come to appreciate the trait as is when I actively merge for the "save." Maybe when I feel more competent I will move away from it, but I am still learning the little nuances of the class (about 225 games played on it, most of which were Druid). It still does feel like I don't offer enough damage, so maybe it is worth looking into, even if it helped just a little bit.

Yeah, conditions are still a bit of an issue, but I have tried my best to maximize their management. I was actually running Lyssa runes with this video (thought it was Leadership) since we were against dual Scourge, so that helps a ton (5 condis to boons from Entangle, then 2 clears from WK). Not really sure where I could plug in more conditions aside from taking something like LR; SoR is just too damn awkward for Soulbeast in its current implementation. What would you recommend? Sigils? Mind sharing your build?

Thanks again for the comment, Sol. I have a lot to learn still and appreciate your feedback. I am hoping the next balance patch irons some stuff out for Soulbeast. It feels like one of the more balanced specs from PoF but really feels rushed/unfinished.

@shadowpass.4236 said:Hey, I didn't watch the whole thing but you did pretty decent from what I saw.

I'd recommend watching your skill usage a little bit more though. You used Hunter's Shot for no reason sometimes. Save it for when you need to stealth, not just thrown in as extra damage or something.

Hey Shadow, thanks for the response as well. You are absolutely right regarding the Hunter's Shot; I am not the best at Longbow and timing my skills. To be honest, I never used to be a fan of the weapon, but since PoF dropped I have forced myself to start playing with it because of Scourges. I really like the weapon in PvP now, but I am still very clunky with it, especially in melee (Rapid Fire getting cancelled, etc.). What Soulbeast build do you like to run? Do you run Soulbeast much in ranked? I have you added in game (skirmished you one day on your Scourge on my human Ranger), so I'll be sure to hit you up if I see you in the 1v1 arena. I would love the practice.

@Pterikdactyl.7630 said:

@Sol.4310 said:Hi, seen as no one has made comment I have few ideas that might be worth looking at to help improve your build. Nice to see different builds.

Hey, I appreciate the response! Thanks for taking the time to write all that out.

I take Second Skin because of the WS line (Companion's Defense). You are right that it still doesn't amount to that much protection uptime, but with Leadership runes and the great vigor uptime I have, it makes it just a bit better. I just honestly don't think the other two are competitive in their current implementation. Predator's Cunning lacks much of a punch, but I hadn't considered that the quickness from Strider's Defense would trigger Essence of Speed, so maybe that is worth a try.

Yeah, the 5% damage is probably a better choice, but I use it more as a cover condi to help keep my poison applied to the enemy (and to potentially cover immob from entangle/Jacaranda). Sometimes I do switch it out though, because poison on Spellbreakers basically does nothing to them with their insane resistance uptime.

You may be right about Oppressive Superiority, but the fact that it is so conditional in PvP makes me shy away from it. I at this point like having the little safety net EB offers. I have actually come to appreciate the trait as is when I actively merge for the "save." Maybe when I feel more competent I will move away from it, but I am still learning the little nuances of the class (about 225 games played on it, most of which were Druid). It still does feel like I don't offer enough damage, so maybe it is worth looking into, even if it helped just a little bit.

Yeah, conditions are still a bit of an issue, but I have tried my best to maximize their management. I was actually running Lyssa runes with this video (thought it was Leadership) since we were against dual Scourge, so that helps a ton (5 condis to boons from Entangle, then 2 clears from WK). Not really sure where I could plug in more conditions aside from taking something like LR; SoR is just too kitten awkward for Soulbeast in its current implementation. What would you recommend? Sigils? Mind sharing your build?

Thanks again for the comment, Sol. I have a lot to learn still and appreciate your feedback. I am hoping the next balance patch irons some stuff out for Soulbeast. It feels like one of the more balanced specs from PoF but really feels rushed/unfinished.

@shadowpass.4236 said:Hey, I didn't watch the whole thing but you did pretty decent from what I saw.

Hey Shadow, thanks for the response as well. You are absolutely right regarding the Hunter's Shot; I am not the best at Longbow and timing my skills. To be honest, I never used to be a fan of the weapon, but since PoF dropped I have forced myself to start playing with it because of Scourges. I really like the weapon in PvP now, but I am still very clunky with it, especially in melee (Rapid Fire getting cancelled, etc.). What Soulbeast build do you like to run? Do you run Soulbeast much in ranked? I have you added in game (skirmished you one day on your Scourge on my human Ranger), so I'll be sure to hit you up if I see you in the 1v1 arena. I would love the practice.

Ahh yeah I remember you. I run a bunch of different Soulbeast builds. Yes, I run them in ranked as well. If you have any other questions feel free to ask mate :)

Archived