Vale Guardian Green Circle Spawning Behaviour? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Vale Guardian Green Circle Spawning Behaviour?

I'm looking for some confirmation on the spawning behaviour of the green circles during the final phase of VG.

Our group has gotten really good at sticking to the proper sections of the map and our tank at pulling VG to the next area as needed. The green circles have still been spawning in the wrong area. I have heard from one person that it is possible for green circles to spawn anywhere, regardless of where your party is stood, once VG's health drops below 20%. Could anyone please confirm or deny this? I was not able to find this information anywhere in guides. If you know where I can find it, a link would be greatly appreciated.

I'm familiar with the sentiment that green circles are often the primary cause of raid wipes while fighting VG. Our guild has been practising for a couple of nights over the past few weeks to take down VG. We are at the point of getting consistently to 14 - 15% hp but it seems that it's mostly a single green circle that will spawn in the wrong area that causes everything to snowball into a wipe.

We are not using distort to avoid running greens as we are still training and relying on that tactic (although I understand how much easier things can be with it) probably will not be reliable for us at the moment.

Thanks so much!

Bloodcovered Backstabbin' Blackjack the Blade, at your service.

Comments

• @OpLickem.8250 said:
    I have heard from one person that it is possible for green circles to spawn anywhere, regardless of where your party is stood, once VG's health drops below 20%. Could anyone please confirm or deny this? I was not able to find this information anywhere in guides. If you know where I can find it, a link would be greatly appreciated.

The greens spawn based on the sector that VG is in, not where your party is. I might be making a faulty assumption based on what you wrote, but maybe its of some help.

• savacli.8172savacli.8172 Member ✭✭✭

There's also the case of VG being in between two pies. So much so that even if VG has a toe in the previous pie and hasn't fully crossed over you'll get a bad green spawn.

• Joxer.6024Joxer.6024 Member ✭✭✭

Yea, watch his hitbox, not just him. As mentioned if even a glowy toe is on the other bit good ol RNGesus will spawn a dreaded green circle where you all aren't! We too have had this "issue" in the past but for the most part it has been VG placement that fixed it. Again, not just VG and his skinny shiny butt but his hitbox, that's the tricky part. Good luck!!! You NA? Never against helping out..... ;)

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2017

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Vale#Vale_Guardian

Distributed Magic (also known as green circles) - Requires a minimum of four players inside the green circle or else everyone in the arena will take 80% of their health as damage. These will only spawn in the section the Vale Guardian is standing in.

While, as others mentioned, there can be some problems with if the Value Guardian is inbetween sections, if you are having bad spawns in phase 3 it will most likely be an tank error for not moving him fast enough or lack of cc if he was stuck in his aoe phase.

The tanks primary role in phase 3 is to move VG without paying attention to the raid. One of the most often used strategies is to have the tank stay half way between center and outer edge and right on the border of the next section. Then move on as soon as possible (usually once the next section loses it's damage phase but if you are running full minstrel, you can move early and offset the damage with some healing).

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

Notice, that (which may explain the cases you've seen), the circles spawn a second or two after the pie part has been determined. Thus it is possible for them to spawn on the "previous" part if VG happened to change the position during that time.
    Also, the small circle in the middle of the platform is considered to belong to all three parts at the same time.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Thanks so much for the replies, everyone! Much appreciated.

My thought was that the tank had moved VG in time to prevent the green circle from spawning. We have been training with the thought that green circles also spawn where player characters are stood. If one person is over the line, the green circle may spawn where that other person is located. That seemed to be fixed when we improved our grouping and movement but the quote submitted by Cyninja seems to suggest that this is never the case.

We are still training so our movement isn't perfect yet. It seems that I recall VG having been moved in time before the spawn of the green circles but perhaps it was only a fraction of a second too late as it does seem to be determined prior to the green circle actually spawning.

I'm not sure the exact time when the placement is determined but perhaps we can try to keep him moving a bit earlier. As I said, we're not perfect yet, but just trying to get a good grasp of the mechanics so we can get better. The CC phase could have played a huge role in the wipe as it can be a little slow for us.

Thanks again for all of your submissions. The random spawn <20% was something that I hadn't heard before and I didn't see that on the Wiki. I could have sworn that players also affect the spawn of the green circle as I have seen it spawn in the wrong area despite the tank having moved but, for example, if someone is lagging behind trying to rez someone else, it could appear in their area.

• Oh, and we're on EU servers :) It's my day off so I'm doing some planning and learning for more raids for our guild ^^

edited October 30, 2017

@OpLickem.8250 said:
    Oh, and we're on EU servers :) It's my day off so I'm doing some planning and learning for more raids for our guild ^^

Ah well, that's a bummer, for me! ;) I like training runs, lots of fun. Also, I think you move VG after the 2nd set of blue (teleport) circles (someone correct me if wrong)and as mentioned it doesn't hurt all that much to go a tad early. Other than an Elly the damage isn't to bad, unless you are low to start...then ouchies! Good luck and yea, last bit is VG has of late been a buggy little sucker....hopefully that will get fixed......HAHAHA...yea right! :astonished:

• TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

On the last phase your tank should move ahead of the group, basically dropping their CC's and going and letting the group do the rest. For the 2nd Green spawn which is the one people fail on most your tank should move between VG as close to if not into the next sector if they feel okay with eating 1-2ticks of floor damage.

• Okay, we will try that! We are going to do a bit of an impromptu training run tonight to try the distort tactic (with 2 mesmers just in case the tank misses) to see if we can't avoid having to go to that green but we'll definitely also try running just a bit earlier to see if that helps.

• At 20% may be around the time where vg moves from blue to red and has a breakbar.

Additionally, right now that seems to be where vg gets stuck and goes in the wrong direction - that means even if you do move very early and break quickly, it may not be enough to prevent a backwards spawn. Stacking up and healing/distorting should do the trick... Or just moving across even earlier

@Toeofdoom.6152 said:
    At 20% may be around the time where vg moves from blue to red and has a breakbar.

Additionally, right now that seems to be where vg gets stuck and goes in the wrong direction - that means even if you do move very early and break quickly, it may not be enough to prevent a backwards spawn. Stacking up and healing/distorting should do the trick... Or just moving across even earlier

Yea, if its only a certain spawn that is giving you grief then plan for it, stack and distort! win/win as its good practice for your Chrono and you get the kill! ;)

• Rain.7543Rain.7543 Member ✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

@OpLickem.8250 said:
    Okay, we will try that! We are going to do a bit of an impromptu training run tonight to try the distort tactic (with 2 mesmers just in case the tank misses) to see if we can't avoid having to go to that green but we'll definitely also try running just a bit earlier to see if that helps.

Ever since the nerf on SoI (Signet of Inspiration), you need 2 mermers in your squad at all times, before the signet affected 10 people, now its only limited to 5, which means if you bring usually one mesmer, your entire second group misses heavily on quickness/alacrity. The signet affecting five people also means the one mesmer cant distort the whole squad, even if he doesnt miss a single green.
    As for the green circles, like others already pointed out - they always spawn upon the platform on which VG stands at the moment of the spawn.
    However i've seen way too many tanks who dont know how to properly do the movement. They either run way too fast between platforms, or way too slow.

If it will be any help to your tank, here is the right pattern to follow:
    After first split (Usually the rotation starts from red piller) - Tank waits there 2 (!) green circles to spawn and move VG exactly when the second had spawned.
    Green piller waits to spawn 1 green circle, after which your tank should move next on the blue piller side before VG CC bars comes, but only right next the border with green. There he can wait another green to spawn or then drag VG down on the border between blue and red. If the dps is decent there you should split already, if the dps is good the split can happen even earlier.

Second split (Starting from red again) - Tank should wait green circle and move immediately when VG CC bar, spawns. He shouldnt stay and CC but move right away, so VG can follow instantly once the CC bar breaks.
    On green piller side, another green should be waited to spawn and the tank should move the moment the platform aoe starts pulsating. Its a pretty telling animation, cant be missed.
    On red side, another green cirle and the tank -again- should move the moment VG CC bar comes up. Keep in mind however that at this part there is annoying bug, which Anet havent fixed yet and VG sometimes lose aggro for whatever reason, even when the tank is already on the next platform. When that happens, stack and try to distort, or the druids can easily outheal that aswell.
    From there on if the dps is decent you should have the kill already, if not tank should keep following the same pattern (I think?) Never really had to tank it longer then this.

Hope that helps. Also if you learn to just distort (Keep in mind this doesnt require only good mesmers to time properly the signets, everyone should play to their best to dodge blue, because if someone gets ported they are as good as dead, if the rng is bad and they get ported across the whole platform) this will be the best strat for you, because the dps increases dramaticly when you dont move VG around and when your team doesnt run for greens.

Good luck with your run! :)

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

@Rain.7543 said:
    Hope that helps. Also if you learn to just distort (Keep in mind this doesnt require only good mesmers to time properly the signets, everyone should play to their best to dodge blue, because if someone gets ported they are as good as dead, if the rng is bad and they get ported across the whole platform) this will be the best strat for you, because the dps increases dramaticly when you dont move VG around and when your team doesnt run for greens.

Good advice, just wanted to add, dodging blue is basically a requirement for everybody since the 5 second ICD on distortion makes it almost impossible to distort all the blues and greens.

As tank this is quite easy, sword 2 (should be up every 2nd blue), shield 4 (combine this with summoning 2 shield phantasms), F4 (usually a backup for when something goes wrong) or dodging backwards into the circle wall will work to avoide blues. Me personally, I like alternating between sword 2 and dodging backwards to avoid blues while using SoI and Sword 5 (or Focus 5) to distort greens (with F4 as backup).

Best for people to get used to avoiding blues while mesmers distort greens. Obviously, if the mesmer sees the chance to distort blues (or any type of damage actually) it's always useful to throw out a distort for the group. Just make sure no green needs distortion within the next 5 seconds.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.