What's the future of raids in GW2? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What's the future of raids in GW2?

Raids are the best thing that has ever happened in PvE of GW2. Finally we got challenging endgame PvE content.
But I'm wondering what's the future of this mode. I mean. Most players need big rewards for doing hard things. Right now we got e.g legendary armor which seems to be a good prize. But what's next?

In the most mmorpg's its easy, cause they regularly add eq with better and better stats. And players feel rewarded cause they gain unique items. But GW2 works differently - this game isnt able to do it this way. So what awaits us?

http://aiwe.eu - Polish (RolePlay / Raid / PvP) guild

<1345

Comments

• Sephylon.4938Sephylon.4938 Member ✭✭✭✭

We'll see once the next raid wings are released. My guess is new leg armor skins and some new wepon skins or something along those lines.

I am a giant tomato filled with love. I have come to sell you a house made out of pancakes.

• meeflak.9714meeflak.9714 Member ✭✭✭

@Sephylon.4938 said:
    We'll see once the next raid wings are released. My guess is new leg armor skins and some new wepon skins or something along those lines.

Unfortunately they said they have no intention on making new legendary armor sets

Main ranger: Adalyn Del Rayna. Plz stop saying raids are toxic.. raids are what you make them

• Joxer.6024Joxer.6024 Member ✭✭✭

Yea, WOW's gear rewards did give you something to shoot for as it was the best (sometimes only) way to upgrade your toon but the RNG could at times be complete hell. I do find that with GW2 the rewards are lacking a tad but as I have mentioned before raids in this game are in the diaper (nappy) stages really. They have a long way to go and I hope for only good things to come out it. Sure, some may suck, but you have to take the good and the bad. ;)
    Really hope they do bump up some sort of reward though, or give 'em a reward track maybe?

• Aira.7360Aira.7360 Member ✭✭

@zealex.9410 said:
    Rewards wont matter if a new wing takes a year to come out.

Yeah i just realise there is no word about new raid almost a year from w4 came out :s

• Sephylon.4938Sephylon.4938 Member ✭✭✭✭

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Sephylon.4938 said:

Unfortunately they said they have no intention on making new legendary armor sets

:/ Maybe non leg armors specific to raids then?

I am a giant tomato filled with love. I have come to sell you a house made out of pancakes.

• Talindra.4958Talindra.4958 Member ✭✭✭✭

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Sephylon.4938 said:

No intention of making new leg armour doesn't mean no intention to improve current to make it more shinny and attractive right :p :p :)

Death is Energy [DIE] in EU
    Envoy's Herald, CoZ, VitV, DD, SS, The Eternal, LNHB, Champion Magus, Champion Phantom, Wondrous Achiever etc.

"I gotta wear shades...."

• Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭

Let's see... raids already switched from HC content into weekly farm. Sellers are standard occurance in LFG. Low manning becomes more popular.

Sounds like dungeons.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

They could add a legendary back item in Raids.
    There is one in Fractals, one in PvP and one in WvW so adding a back item to the next Raid would cause the least amount of complaints, plus give raiders a new shinny to work towards. Plus the usual boss-exclusive weapon skins like all other Raid bosses have.

• Exciton.8942Exciton.8942 Member ✭✭✭

Or new legendary trinket.

They said they have plan for a full set of legendary trinket, which means 4 more to come. One of those could be tied to raid.

@Exciton.8942 said:

They said they have plan for a full set of legendary trinket, which means 4 more to come. One of those could be tied to raid.

yes please!!

@Exciton.8942 said:

If it's as stupidly expensive and without any way to pass it to other characters like Aurora then no thanks

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

Probably more raid unique skins, just more fights which allow people to achieve higher LI per week and maybe (though I don't believe this to be the case) a legendary trinket.

I don't think we'll be seeing to much legendary loot locked behind raids. Arenanet already added ways to get legi armor via spvp and wvw. Which while more time consuming for wvw and more locked out time wise for spvp, is basically just a mindless, skillless farm leaving only the skins to be unique to raids.

The main issue as was mentioned is: GW2 does not increase its item level. While other games with raids devalue your work by making items obsolete, here we can't do that (yet). It's a boon and a curse at the same time which allows people to take breaks though.

I like the fact that even if you have all 3 legendary armors you can get cheap ascended armor for 25 LI (but let's be honest, by the time you have 3 legendary armors you are likely swimming in ascended anyway).

I think raids will remain mostly a challenge and less a gear or loot focus part of the game.

As far as gold rewards, current raids reward over 30-50g per week in gold loot alone (4g bug) and a ton of rares and exotic items. That's more then enough gold loot.

• Xar.1387Xar.1387 Member ✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

@Kheldorn.5123 said:
    Let's see... raids already switched from HC content into weekly farm. Sellers are standard occurance in LFG. Low manning becomes more popular.

Sounds like dungeons.

Its not something new. This is how raids works in the most mmorpg's. At the begining its hard but as time goes on it gets easier and easier. What's good in GW2: raids are easier because of player's skill, not items with better stats :) That's why its important to develop regularly this kind of content. New wings, rewards etc etc. New challenges

http://aiwe.eu - Polish (RolePlay / Raid / PvP) guild

• @Xar.1387 said:
    Its not something new. This is how raids works in the most mmorpg's. At the begining its hard but as time goes on it gets easier and easier. What's good in GW2: raids are easier because of player's skill, not items with better stats :)

Balance team also has a major role in this. Bosses go from "alright" to afk faceroll to "alright" almost every patch.

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

@Xar.1387 said:
    Its not something new. This is how raids works in the most mmorpg's. At the begining its hard but as time goes on it gets easier and easier. What's good in GW2: raids are easier because of player's skill, not items with better stats :)

Balance team also has a major role in this. Bosses go from "alright" to afk faceroll to "alright" almost every patch.

Not really. Every type of content will get easier over time once people grow accustomed to it.

Even if they were to up the difficulty, people would still adapt. This is visible in every game and every type of content.

The powercreep with PoF obviously made content overall easier. That doesn't change the fact that there is now people who have been raiding for over 2 years having sufficient time to adapt allowing them to rush through content.

• @Zenith.7301 said:
    They could start with improving the gold payouts. It's pathetic how little raids pay for the effort they take. Putting t6 materials and leather/cloth/metal/wood boxes for trade for magnetite shards would also be nice.

This, and I think they really need to make repeatedly killing bosses over a week at least pay for food costs. Give 1g per repeat kill at a minimum so people are able to help their friends out and not get in the red. I will send ANet a really big box of cupcakes if anyone seriously tries farming 1g repeat rewards over crazy money/mat-faucets like SW/F40.

Valor Zeal [VZ] - Stormbluff Isle

@Cyninja.2954 said:

I think raids will remain mostly a challenge and less a gear or loot focus part of the game.

With just this that would be fine. Fun and a challenge rolled into one. Maybe something special per boss but meh, long as it tests you.

• STIHL.2489STIHL.2489 Member ✭✭✭✭

Well depends.

If raids keep good numbers, attract people, and get them to spend money in the store, then more will be made. I'd wager they may or may not gate anything behind the raids, I would wager mainly cosmetics in the future, with more glowing particle effects.

If raids are not pulling in the numbers, or if the metrics show they are not profitable, we might get some announcement that they are on hiatus like so many other things that got shelved because they were not deemed a viable RoI, like Dungeons, G2 Legendary weapons, and.. well fractals sat for years with almost not development at all.

There are two kinds of Gamers, Salty, and Extra Salty.
    Ego is the Anesthesia that dullens the pain of Stupidity.

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭

@zealex.9410 said:

Glad I am not the only one who is annoyed by the slow release shedule. They said they could make upto 6 raid wings per year. The reality seems to be more like 1, if lucky 2 per year.

• I'd guess a legendary trinket will be the new thing to go for. I got my legendary armor the day it was available and have raiding for the experience ever since without caring too much about the rewards so I won't go for the trinket most likely if it's stupidly expensive. Getting together with static group once a week is nice way to spend time.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

As far as the exclusive rewards go, with a ton of skins and a legendary armor Raids already have really good rewards. Possibly even too good. Still, i do agree that the monetary rewards could be better. Especially for repeats - if someone is willing to help others out after they are already done their weekly raid allotment, then the rewards should at the very least cover the food/utilities cost.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• nsleep.7839nsleep.7839 Member ✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

Glad I am not the only one who is annoyed by the slow release shedule. They said they could make upto 6 raid wings per year. The reality seems to be more like 1, if lucky 2 per year.

>

Same. It's not only the raid release schedule, if you're into doing group content fractals also have a terribly slow release schedule not to mention he Chaos Isles was a fiasco imo. While I like unique encounters but I don't know how much it's worth to slow down all releases that much just to make every encounter have new unique mechanics coded into them.

This extremely slow stream of releases is slowly making me play less and less.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

IIRC, I thought they said something more along the lines of 1 every six months, but none the less, just because they 'could' do something, does not mean they will do it.

Maybe if they sold the raid wings as their own private content, like a Mini-Expansion, that might inspire faster/more development.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

IIRC, I thought they said something more along the lines of 1 every six months, but none the less, just because they 'could' do something, does not mean they will do it.

Maybe if they sold the raid wings as their own private content, like a Mini-Expansion, that might inspire faster/more development.

Like ESO and its DLC that you buy....um, no thanks!
    But then again, if it meant more/newer content faster and price was decent, just maybe! :3

edited November 1, 2017

@Joxer.6024 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

Like ESO and its DLC that you buy....um, no thanks!
    But then again, if it meant more/newer content faster and price was decent, just maybe! :3

Well, since I read that BDO was an RNGhell type of game (similar to Trove, Not in the mood to deal with that), so I never played BDO, as such I am not sure how that was handled. (I was thinking along the lines of how DDO handles it) But, yes, that would be the idea, it sells and thus they will make more of it.

Oops.. edit.. I just saw you said ESO. and nope.. haven't played that either.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

I doubt there's enough raiders to pay for raids though. In the end it's mostly paid for by the money from people that do not raid (or raid, but not consider that content to be essential enough to specifically pay for it).

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

I doubt there's enough raiders to pay for raids though. In the end it's mostly paid for by the money from people that do not raid (or raid, but not consider that content to be essential enough to specifically pay for it).

If I recall right, only about 2-3% of the Anet employees are working on raids. I do not have the exact numbers of course, but I bet at least 10% of the population enjoys raids. So increasing the raid dev team by 2-3x seems like a fair idea to me.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

I have no idea, but, it seems like a better idea to me, to sell the raids directly, and have them support their own development, then have Anet just kinda 'guess' what people want. If that works.. they could sell additional Fractal Levels.. like say.. 100 - 150.. for example.. with several custom maps.

The advantage with selling "Adventure Packs" like living story and the such, is that what sells is what gets the most development, as opposed to trying to sell an outfit in the store to fund the next raid wing...

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

That goes for everything is this game. I prob paid for the wvw update we had pre pof and i rarely if ever do wvw.

edited November 1, 2017

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Found this on reddit:
    BGDM is fairly popular, at the moment there are 16,000(!!!) active users using BGDM, that means users that have been active within a period of one week, the BGDM server has 2k concurrent users on average with peaks of 4-5k users at which point the data sent/received by the server is an astounding 80MB/50MB respectively.
    Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/661kll/bgdm_semiannouncement_about_current_statefuture/

It's a 6 months old post by the creator of BGDM. 16k active users within a week and 4-5k concurrent users at peak time (probably Monday when Raids reset)
    The game had maximum 460k concurrent users at some point during the first year (with those 3.5 million sales)
    Link: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-the-first-year/
    That's nearly 1% (0.86%) of the RELEASE concurrent players. I wonder how many concurrent players the game has now, to compare with the 4-5k peak BGDM users.

I think the amount of Raiders in the game is way higher than these forums say :)

• @maddoctor.2738 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Found this on reddit:
    BGDM is fairly popular, at the moment there are 16,000(!!!) active users using BGDM, that means users that have been active within a period of one week, the BGDM server has 2k concurrent users on average with peaks of 4-5k users at which point the data sent/received by the server is an astounding 80MB/50MB respectively.
    Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/661kll/bgdm_semiannouncement_about_current_statefuture/

It's a 6 months old post by the creator of BGDM. 16k active users within a week and 4-5k concurrent users at peak time (probably Monday when Raids reset)
    The game had maximum 460k concurrent users at some point during the first year (with those 3.5 million sales)
    That's nearly 1% (0.86%) of the RELEASE concurrent players. I wonder how many concurrent players the game has now, to compare with the 4-5k peak BGDM users.

I think the amount of Raiders in the game is way higher than these forums say :)

I think that using the concurrent users as a parameter is not a good way to find a correct answer. You can have 5 k concurrent raiders for 4 hours and then 0 concurent raiders for the rest of 20 hours. And you can have 460k concurrent players for 10 hours and then 400k concurrent players for the rest of 14 hours. Take into consideration the repeating raids in different days (either for helping a friend or because failure in the precedent day) and you will have a very non reliable method to compare the raiders and the total number of players.

I remember a statistic released by ANet after the HoT launch stating that they had a number of +3,1 millions unique logins during a month.
    So, 16k users a week x 4 weeks = 64 k over a month. Compared with +3 millions that means around 2,1% of the total number of players. It seems that the number of raiders is even smaller than what the forums say.

But, taking into account the fact that GW2 lost players (non raiders mostly), I tend to agree with you that 16k now represent a larger percentage from the playerbase than 1 year ago .

I remember I predicted this - in its desire to raise the percentage of the raiders, ANet will take any required measure to banish the non-raiding population from the game :#

edited November 1, 2017

@Cristalyan.5728 said:
    I think that using the concurrent users as a parameter is not a good way to find a correct answer. You can have 5 k concurrent raiders for 4 hours and then 0 concurent raiders for the rest of 20 hours. And you can have 460k concurrent players for 10 hours and then 400k concurrent players for the rest of 14 hours. Take into consideration the repeating raids in different days (either for helping a friend or because failure in the precedent day) and you will have a very non reliable method to compare the raiders and the total number of players.

Wow slow down there. I'm comparing the number of concurrent raiders with total concurrent players because an "active" player cannot be measured in a game without a subscription. Second, if the game had 400 k concurrent players now they'd announce it with lots of fanfare.

You should check your source of that ~3.1 million accounts. I have this one:
    http://fortune.com/2015/11/24/areanet-investing-in-esports/

“Guild Wars 2 has proven pretty resilient historically, with about 1.5 million monthly actives,” SuperData Research CEO Joost van Dreunen says. “Since it switched to free-to-play in late August, Guild Wars 2’s monthly active user base has doubled to 3.1 million (October 2015).

First, it's SuperData not Arenanet that said 3.1 million accounts they are rather known to be wrong...
    I'm taking the entire 3.1 million claim by SuperData with a grain of salt, so should you.

Here you can find the kitten of SuperData:

What’s new to the lists is Guild Wars 2: It showed up this month as #4 for “top-grossing premium PC games by revenue” behind Overwatch, CS:GO, and Minecraft. Whoa. Apparently the new seasonal content was a big draw.

This is from July 2016. If you check the Guild Wars 2 revenue from July 2016 (that's Q3 2016) it was still dropping... and more importantly, other NCsoft MMORPGS were doing better than Guild Wars 2 yet they are not on the list! Either Arenanet is hiding some revenue somewhere that is not telling NCsoft about, or SuperData is wrong.

Second, you can find this (it's by Peter Warman, CEO of research firm Newzoo, another "research firm"):

Warman says Guild Wars 2 has remained a Top 20 game streamed on Twitch with spikes around big announcements like the recent Heart of Thorns expansion.

Guild Wars 2 was never in Top 20 streamed games on Twitch (and never will be). You can check here if you don't believe me:
    https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-games-twitch/

So these "research firms" are known to be super wrong. Also I'd be happy to know how SuperData (I repeat not Arenanet) figured how many active players Guild Wars 2 had at that point, and which player they called "active".

Third, it's clear that there were 1.5 million monthly actives before free to play and the other 1.6 million were free to play players. Note that it is before the release of Heart of Thorns. So before the expansion hit, the game had 1.5 million actives, out of these, how many bought Heart of Thorns to even have access to Raids?

In truth, the 3 million number means absolutely nothing and it is irrelevant. But the 460k concurrent users (at release, said by Arenanet) and the 4-5k concurrent BGDM users (said by the developer of BGDM) is hard indisputable data. Who is an active player is up for debate, but who is logging in at the same is not.

Edited to add the SuperData kitten

• Maunzi.3764Maunzi.3764 Member ✭✭✭

@Xar.1387 said:
    Most players need big rewards for doing hard things. Right now we got e.g legendary armor which seems to be a good prize. But what's next?

So you don't actually want to do difficult content, you just want to get more rewards than other players. This entitlement is why most people don't take raiders seriously. :(

Please stop that. Not all of us are this greedy, okay?

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Found this on reddit:

especially that most "raiders" use multi accounts because of weekly rewards, also this number is only to get lower the more people farm their legendary armor

@Kheldorn.5123 said:
    especially that most "raiders" use multi accounts because of weekly rewards, also this number is only to get lower the more people farm their legendary armor

How can a raider be "concurrently" on, on multiple accounts? That's why I used the concurrency values and not "active" numbers because active numbers are useless.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

That goes for everything is this game. I prob paid for the wvw update we had pre pof and i rarely if ever do wvw.

Ya can't sell a "balance patch" as no one would buy a nerf.

But I could see a WvW Adventure pack, with additional maps, reward tracks, vendors, and the like. The main problem I see, is how to do that without breaking up the existing system. It would kind of need to be, where everyone that wanted to WvW would need to buy the upgrade, unlike PvE, where they can separate the zones, WvW does not have that.

• meeflak.9714meeflak.9714 Member ✭✭✭

@Talindra.4958 said:

@meeflak.9714 said:

@Sephylon.4938 said:

No intention of making new leg armour doesn't mean no intention to improve current to make it more shinny and attractive right :p :p :)

We can dream =(

Main ranger: Adalyn Del Rayna. Plz stop saying raids are toxic.. raids are what you make them

@maddoctor.2738 said:

That would make the idea of "Raid packs" even more supportable, as if there are more people doing raids then we might first think, they could very easy become their own self sustaining content, and this receive more/faster/better development. Which would be a win for everyone that wants to enjoy raids.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

But I could see a WvW Adventure pack, with additional maps, reward tracks, vendors, and the like. The main problem I see, is how to do that without breaking up the existing system. It would kind of need to be, where everyone that wanted to WvW would need to buy the upgrade, unlike PvE, where they can separate the zones, WvW does not have that.

My point is moneybwent to updates and content aditions to modes i dont play. Saying its bad or not worth for only one part of the game is unfair.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:

That would make the idea of "Raid packs" even more supportable, as if there are more people doing raids then we might first think, they could very easy become their own self sustaining content, and this receive more/faster/better development. Which would be a win for everyone that wants to enjoy raids.

I agree. But what kind of guarantee do we have that money spent on a Raid pack would go on further Raid development?

edited November 1, 2017

@STIHL.2489 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:

see how good wildstar is doing after they assumed hardcore players gonna fund the game for themselves; raids in gw2 would have never happened if not for the whales who funded them and keep them alive even though the raiding community is most ungrateful in this game

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

@zealex.9410 said:

Probaby means it'll be a 3+ wing raid, released quickly together

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:

I agree. But what kind of guarantee do we have that money spent on a Raid pack would go on further Raid development?

because.. companies like money, and will make what sells.

@Fenom.9457 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

Probaby means it'll be a 3+ wing raid, released quickly together

A raid1 release schedule would be decent ye. But Judging from this w8 time i just dont see it.

• reddie.5861reddie.5861 Member ✭✭✭

@Xar.1387 said:
    Raids are the best thing that has ever happened in PvE of GW2. Finally we got challenging endgame PvE content.
    But I'm wondering what's the future of this mode. I mean. Most players need big rewards for doing hard things. Right now we got e.g legendary armor which seems to be a good prize. But what's next?

In the most mmorpg's its easy, cause they regularly add eq with better and better stats. And players feel rewarded cause they gain unique items. But GW2 works differently - this game isnt able to do it this way. So what awaits us?

raids should be
    A) spawned in new WvW map so u actually have to fight for it and not fight brainless NPC
    B) random spawn window like it died yesterday at 20:00 > spawn tomorrow +- 4h so could spawn between 16:00 till 24:00.
    C) basically i dont give a rats kitten about raids i just wanna kill people and see them rage about it :D

@zealex.9410 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

My point is moneybwent to updates and content aditions to modes i dont play. Saying its bad or not worth for only one part of the game is unfair.

Dude, if it meant that WvW got more love.. I'd buy packs for people that don't even play this game.

• With no rewards for challenge mote for those who have done their weekly clears/shard capped/achievements done, the future looks pretty grim. Seems like a lot of wasted effort making a challenge mode for each boss that only gets played once by a player and then nobody wants to do it again.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.