GWAMM and all related achievements removed

@Unholey.3264 said:Just got an npc mail saying that my gwamm title and related achievements have been revoked.

My total AP dropped 500 and the related titles are gone.

I've had these for years now.

wut do

I'm having the same problem. Guild Wars 1 seems to be down. Same with the HoM calculator. I'm guessing that's the issue, but it really freaked me out.

@Duke Darkwood.4237 said:GW1 server is back in business. Logged in, then logged back into GW2, and my points have been restored. Thanks, Arenanet, for your speedy work.

I did the same, but things aren't quite fixed. I have my points in the calculator, have my rewards in my inventory, but have no title. (I only have 8 points, but got the same email about GWAMM and ought to have the Traveler title).

It's a recurring bug that happens whenever the GW2 servers lose contact with the GW1 server that keeps track of people's HoM points. The reason for the letter (and removal of title/points) is that there was a worse bug a few years back in which people who hadn't earned GWAMM or HoM/50 were given credit as if they had. The initial solution (just adjusting everyone back) didn't stick, so ANet set things up so that GW2 constantly checks to make sure. The end result is that no one gets 500 AP/GWAMM without the GW1 accomplishments any more (no false positives) but lots of people sometimes lose their 500/GWAMM (false negatives).

Fortunately, this always fixes itself now. Close the game and reopening sometimes does it, although some people report having to launch GW1 before restarting GW2.

I find this very scary. I think that the GW1-related achievement should be locked/stored in the GW2 database instead of being hot-linked to the active GW1 servers. The removal and restore already happened a few times earlier, and the first time I freaked out because it took me so many years to get the GW1/HoM achievements in the first place.

Why not make it one way: GW1 HoM achievements can be registered by GW1 to GW2, but not removed. Players don't lose their titles anyways.

What happens if eventually GW1 will be discontinued? I hope this never happens but it would be much safer if the GW2 HoM related achievements would get stored in GW2 once they have been unlocked. Please. It took me 10 years of playing GW1 to

this year so I hope to never, never lose it.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:I find this very scary. I think that the GW1-related achievement should be locked/stored in the GW2 database instead of being hot-linked to the active GW1 servers. The removal and restore already happened a few times earlier, and the first time I freaked out because it took me so many years to get the GW1/HoM achievements in the first place.

Why not make it one way: GW1 HoM achievements can be registered by GW1 to GW2, but not removed. Players don't lose their titles anyways.

What happens if eventually GW1 will be discontinued? I hope this never happens but it would be much safer if the GW2 HoM related achievements would get stored in GW2 once they have been unlocked. Please. It took me 10 years of playing GW1 to

Because they had it that way before and something broke on the GW2 side (having to do with ... nothing directly related to GW1, HoM). The new system ensures that you will never lose it, but you will occasionally get an email that (falsely) tells you that you did.

Can you imagine being on the ANet side of this conversation? Do you really think that they didn't consider all the ways that the current solution is bad? It was only after things failed twice and a huge wait that they put the current mechanic together. In the end, their choice was leaving things so that people who didn't earn GWAMM would be able to sometimes display it (and it might take a while to untangle and remove it) ... or to set up things as they are now, where the false message sometimes goes out also to people who have earned it.

The worst case is you have to log out, logon to GW1, launch a character. The middle-worst is that you close GW2 and open the HoM calculator for any of your GW1 toons. The typical (admittedly bad) case is: you close GW2 and when you reopen, it's fixed.

tl;dr it's a bad solution that's less worse than the other available scenarios.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:I find this very scary. I think that the GW1-related achievement should be locked/stored in the GW2 database instead of being hot-linked to the active GW1 servers. The removal and restore already happened a few times earlier, and the first time I freaked out because it took me so many years to get the GW1/HoM achievements in the first place.

Why not make it one way
: GW1 HoM achievements can be registered by GW1 to GW2, but not removed. Players don't lose their titles anyways.

Because they had it that way before and something broke on the GW2 side (having to do with ... nothing directly related to GW1, HoM). The new system ensures that you will never lose it, but you will occasionally get an email that (falsely) tells you that you did.

Can you imagine being on the ANet side of this conversation? Do you really think that they didn't consider all the ways that the current solution is bad? It was only after things failed twice and a huge wait that they put the current mechanic together. In the end, their choice was leaving things so that people who didn't earn GWAMM would be able to sometimes display it (and it might take a while to untangle and remove it) ... or to set up things as they are now, where the false message sometimes goes out also to people who have earned it.

The worst case is you have to log out, logon to GW1, launch a character. The middle-worst is that you close GW2 and open the HoM calculator for any of your GW1 toons. The typical (admittedly bad) case is: you close GW2 and when you reopen, it's fixed.

tl;dr it's a bad solution that's less worse than the other available scenarios.

How can someone get GWAMM in GW2 without having earned this in GW1? You shouldn't and in my proposal you still only get the title and acievements in GW2 when your linked GW1 account earned this. With the added reliability that you no longer require an active sync with GW1 to retain your GWAMM/HoM titles/achievements that you already prove to have.

Again, I fear for the day that Gw1 may get discontinued. Fortunately, there is absolutely no announcement that it will be discontinued but if it does all GW1 veterans will lose the achievements they spent so much time on. I really would appreciate a more robust solution here.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:How can someone get GWAMM in GW2 without having earned this in GW1?You're absolutely correct. It shouldn't be possible, but it happened. Twice, once after they thought it was fixed. That's why they implemented the current solution.

You shouldn't and in my proposal you still only get the title and acievements in GW2 when your linked GW1 account earned this. With the added reliability that you no longer require an active sync with GW1 to retain your GWAMM/HoM titles/achievements that you already prove to have.I understand what you're trying to offer. What I'm trying to explain is: it didn't work.

Again, I fear for the day that Gw1 may get discontinued. Fortunately, there is absolutely no announcement that it will be discontinued but if it does all GW1 veterans will lose the achievements they spent so many time on. I really would appreciate a more robust solution here.

First, there has been announcement about GW1: the devs have said plainly that they plan to continue supporting it in automatic mode as long as anyone still plays it. It's not going anywhere.

Second, as I have been trying to explain: everyone, including ANet, would prefer a different solution. It's just not always a good value for the time & effort, especially since I think it took about 5 months to resolve the last time. During that time, no new players could gain GWAMM or HoM/50 in Guild Wars 2 (GW1 was not affected) and several GW2 players who hadn't earned them could display the relevant titles (and had the extra AP, too).

So again, I really do understand how you feel. I think it's a terrible solution, too. (I'm 95% confident that everyone at ANet agrees that it's horrid.) It's just a less terrible one than having no solution or one that kept breaking for reasons that the QA team couldn't resolve.

Archived