My Current Build for unrank/rank (unless balance patch changes things)

zoopop.5630

Just Looking for Some Hints/Feedback's/Discussions !

Hi, Looking to have discussion on everyone else build, what they are using for runes , sigil, and abilities. I was ranked 1570 Last season before being decayed to bronze ( LoL) during the PoF drop and changes during the season. I figure a Holosmith Job is to burst a player down instantly and resuming to capture a point or de-cap a point for their team while still maintaining a presence during a battle between teams.

This is my current build and I'm looking for Feedbacks for any Engi Mains that have a good insight on this class(played Engi last season and picking up holo now).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUnUUB9dh1XBGYBcJjlBD7LAseaP99wh4RU8dUCCBA-jJROABn/AAAY/heLDo+FAAA ( Amulets gets swapped around depending on match ups)

I average most games with under 3 deaths , and round up usually 16-20 Kills per match(My job to burst /finish a down player asap and continue moving). I don't over stay during fights due to the lack of health/toughness for the trade off for high burst damage(hence why rocket boots help with escaping a rough battle/getting to different locations).

With this current spec i have the condi cleanse , the burst and mobility to hold my own against any class depending on their skill level, however fighting a Spell-breaker is the only issue i ran into and possible a good guardian due to the amount of blocks they can maintain along with aegis helping them, and in those type of battles i don't over drag it due to the fact it's a hard counter at least to my knowledge/play style.

If possible can i get a Rating from 1-10 on this build, feedback's, and some possible hints on things? Thank you in advance!

-Trunsk Ouk

Few things:

• Why take a explosives? Blasting zone is unreliable in PvP (and probably not worthwhile), and orbital command is all over the place. Firearms would probably be a better trait line to take for what you're looking to accomplish (damage). You may also want to consider Tools for Adrenal implant to synergize with thermal release valve.
  • Rune of strength isn't a bad option, but might leave you vulnerable to condi spikes. Consider Rune of Hoelbraek.
  • I would recommend changing sigil of might for sigil of cleansing for the extra condi cleanse.
  • Elixir C isn't the most useful condi cleanse out there. I would recommend elixir gun -- it's toolbelt skill cleanses 2 condis and breaks stun, and the elixir 4 + 5 skill are really useful in PvP.

@Vagrant.7206 said:Few things:

• Why take a explosives? Blasting zone is unreliable in PvP (and probably not worthwhile), and orbital command is all over the place. Firearms would probably be a better trait line to take for what you're looking to accomplish (damage). You may also want to consider Tools for Adrenal implant to synergize with thermal release valve.
  • Rune of strength isn't a bad option, but might leave you vulnerable to condi spikes. Consider Rune of Hoelbraek.
  • I would recommend changing sigil of might for sigil of cleansing for the extra condi cleanse.
  • Elixir C isn't the most useful condi cleanse out there. I would recommend elixir gun -- it's toolbelt skill cleanses 2 condis and breaks stun, and the elixir 4 + 5 skill are really useful in PvP.

hi, Thank you for getting back to me!

so reason why i took explosion was due to the power increase overall for the build, and orbital seems to be fine overall for me / playstyle. I agree i have used Firearms and had a hard time swapping from each other time to time not knowing which would be the better to pick.

seem a bit better however i haven't had a hard time with dying to condi at least not at the moment. Wonder how much of a 5% difference in damage might make when coming into terms of bursting a player down.

I'll swap sigil of might for cleansing, however i dislike the use of elixir Gun and don't like the idea of having it for my build over all.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUnUUB9dh1XBGYBcJjl8CD8AFAqK9Rxr4WUcgkDqBA-jJRQABifBAAY/haLDc+DAAA how does this look?

@Vagrant.7206 said:Few things:

just touching bases with you i tried the Rune of Hoelbraek to test how much of a difference is from the rune of str and their is no difference at all. Not sure if the -20% is glitched or not working how it should be, and if their was a "difference" then it was very very small which was about 1k maybe 2k which i don't think is enough to for me to keep.

However the cleansing condi off on hit seem very good to hold around on.

imo with this i have better way to keep condi off , and keep my dps up.

Well, if you don't like elixir gun, I can't really make you take it. I just find that it usually does the job of elixir C but better.

The reason I don't suggest explosives is because the minors don't affect your play at all. They literally do nothing if you aren't using explosive-related skills. The other traits are ok for a power-oriented build, but you're losing out on meaningful minors otherwise.

For the build you just linked, firearms is a solid choice. High Caliber and Heavy Armor exploit are a difficult tradeoff. If you find yourself in PF more than using your rifle, I would say high caliber is more useful (as it helps proc some of your other traits). Heavy armor exploit is better if you prefer to stay at range though.

Same goes for skilled marksman vs. no scope. If you're in melee range frequently, no scope is a better option.

Modified ammunition is unreliable in PvP -- since your build doesn't provide the necessary conditions to make it particularly valuable, it might be wiser to go with incendiary powder. I know this seems counterintuitive (as you're making a power build), but modified ammunition in its current state doesn't actually make a whole lot of sense and isn't particularly good or reliable for PvP -- you want to be doing consistent damage, not hoping your teammates are ganging up on another person to provide the requisite condis.

Rune of Hoelbraek is just a suggestion for dealing with condi pressure. It's virtually identical to Rune of Strength, just with a slight damage reduction for better defenses. If the meta shifts back towards power builds, rune of strength is definitely the better contender.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

• Well, if you don't like elixir gun, I can't really make you take it. I just find that it usually does the job of elixir C but better.
  • The reason I don't suggest explosives is because the minors don't affect your play at all. They literally do nothing if you aren't using explosive-related skills. The other traits are ok for a power-oriented build, but you're losing out on meaningful minors otherwise.
  • For the build you just linked, firearms is a solid choice. High Caliber and Heavy Armor exploit are a difficult tradeoff. If you find yourself in PF more than using your rifle, I would say high caliber is more useful (as it helps proc some of your other traits). Heavy armor exploit is better if you prefer to stay at range though.
  • Same goes for skilled marksman vs. no scope. If you're in melee range frequently, no scope is a better option.
  • Modified ammunition is unreliable in PvP -- since your build doesn't provide the necessary conditions to make it particularly valuable, it might be wiser to go with incendiary powder. I know this seems counterintuitive (as you're making a power build), but modified ammunition in its current state doesn't actually make a whole lot of sense and isn't particularly good or reliable for PvP -- you want to be doing consistent damage, not hoping your teammates are ganging up on another person to provide the requisite condis.
  • Rune of Hoelbraek is just a suggestion for dealing with condi pressure. It's virtually identical to Rune of Strength, just with a slight damage reduction for better defenses. If the meta shifts back towards power builds, rune of strength is definitely the better contender.

thank you again for responding :), so i took ur advise and replaced , i took high caliber, And I also took no scope for more of a dps purpose while in PF. I was thinking that modified ammunition would work with my team mates dropping condi on others however if i am facing off others alone at their point then you are right it wouldn't make sense to have it.

As for rune im still holding on to rune of strength over Hoelbraek from my testing the difference in spikes wont make a difference at all.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUnUUB9dhFYBmXBcJjF2CDcEdiCAidkpwTofNGHrjA-jJRQABifBAqtMw5PAAA2fAA current set up and loving it very much the burst is higher and the speed of things seems more in sync.

how often do you spvp on engi?

Fairly often. Less so lately because Holosmith is underwhelming vs scourge/SB, but still fairly often.

so im loving this build/style very much :), i wanted to say thank you for helping me out with the trait line and pointing things out for me !

Glad I could help! You had a solid foundation to begin with, just needed some slight improvements.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

Fairly often. Less so lately because Holosmith is underwhelming vs scourge/SB, but still fairly often.

so im loving this build/style very much :), i wanted to say thank you for helping me out with the trait line and pointing things out for me !

Glad I could help! You had a solid foundation to begin with, just needed some slight improvements.

learning to fight against SB/and Scourge :tired_face: , i honestly like this build/spec. where are u in terms of ranking?

@zoopop.5630 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:

learning to fight against SB/and Scourge :tired_face: , i honestly like this build/spec. where are u in terms of ranking?

I consider last season a bit of a wash because of PoF dropping mid-season. That said, I ranked in the top 200. I think I was 150 even.

That also said, I ran scourge because it was so ****ing easy and I wanted to get in the top 200. :tongue:

My advice for fighting scourge as a holo? Don't even bother. Use your rocket boots and rifle leap to outrotate them. Don't even try to get in a 1v1 with them -- only fight them if they are outnumbered. SB... just kite them. 1v1 fights with them are a massive waste of time.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@zoopop.5630 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:

I consider last season a bit of a wash because of PoF dropping mid-season. That said, I ranked in the top 200. I think I was 150 even.

That also said, I ran scourge because it was so ****ing easy and I wanted to get in the top 200. :tongue:

My advice for fighting scourge as a holo? Don't even bother. Use your rocket boots and rifle leap to outrotate them. Don't even try to get in a 1v1 with them -- only fight them if they are outnumbered. SB... just kite them. 1v1 fights with them are a massive waste of time.

oh yea i know, im just learning to fight them 1 on 1 at the moment so i can get use to their skills/animations :D , glad to know you were top 200 though, i was top 250 as well, then POF drop and i dropped to bronze (due to decay lol).

however i want this season to be my "fun" season and enjoy this class to the fullest.

Archived