Mount disappears underground

Edit: Has been fixed! <3 <3 <3 At least for me, but apparently not for some others who posted here...

There is a bug that has been occuring frequently.

Sometimes when you try to mount, three things happen at once:

• Your character's lower body (from the waist downward) disappears underground, so only the torso sticks out of the ground
  • The mount can't be seen, as it is also underground
  • The camera gets stuck at the position at which you mounted, and moving away from that place moves the character into the far distance (only dismounting allows the camera focus to return where it belongs: on your character)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What hardware and internet connection are you playing on?

I've just been travelling and been playing GW2 on my Surface Pro 3 i5 (iGPU) and on questionable pings. In that situation I got that same bug about 20% of the time. Now that I'm back on my desktop, it has disappeared.

I believe previously Anet has mentioned it is a issue with the camera not updating quickly enough. Cannot recall of it was due to a hardware or connection issue.

Good to know I am not the only one. It has happened elsewhere to me too, though, i.e. not only in our GH or LA.

@onevstheworld.2419 said:What hardware and internet connection are you playing on?

My hardware is fine ;) and so is my internet (I play a lot of 3D online games and usually have a super low ping as well as healthy FPS).

@Ashantara.8731 said:This is a major annoyance, seeing as mounts are used all the time. It is happening to me 50% of the time, and always with non-default skins only.

(Yes, I repaired the data archive etc. It has nothing to do with corrupt files.)

Please fix this!

Why is it so annoying? The few times I've had this I can still move normally and eventually everything pops up out of the ground, my camera does not have issues with this and behaves normally...I find it amusing actually, that I'm sitting on my mount which is underground along with have my character(picture that in your mind and tell me it doesn't sound funny).

@Zaklex.6308 said:Why is it so annoying?

Because one constantly uses mounts and this bug keeps happening to me almost every single time?

@Zaklex.6308 said:The few times I've had this I can still move normally and eventually everything pops up out of the ground, my camera does not have issues with this and behaves normally

Well, good for you then. ;) Mine keeps stuck at the starting position and eventually my character is so far away that I can no longer make them out in the distance. It's impossible to navigate this way.

I was fed up with reporting the bug in game, found you guys here. Pleased to know I am not the only one as well. Happens with all the Spooky mounts I have in all zones at any place I have attempted to mount. If I switch to standard mount, no problems. The Skimmer mount looks like I'm riding an invisible motorcycle. I also can track myself on the mini-map, but the camera is stationary until either my mount is killed, or I dismount. I have had this go on from a few seconds to as long as two minutes. Plenty of screen captures. Won't be buying the new skins while this is a problem.

Similarly, when I return to Amnoon I mount the skimmer so I can go over to the crafting area over the water. My character goes through the mounting animation of flipping completely over and floating in the air, but with no mount! A few seconds later the whole thing repeats but with the mount. Wacky!

I experienced this bug sometimes before, but now with the new mount skins, it's totally over the place.If there's a new mount skin equipped, then the camera bugs out after waypointing (or logging in). It get's normal after a few secs for me, but for my BF it stays bugged for quite long time (his pc is somewhat weaker than mine).It's freakin' annoying, because we bought these new mount skins, but we can't really use them, because of this bug.

• 2 weeks later...

It really happens a lot. I play with my wife and she does have a weaker system as well, but mine's pretty up to date and it still happens to me. Yes you can sit an wait for it to catch up, but why should we have to? Obviously this is affecting a lot of people, and I hope Arenanet does plan to fix it soon. With mounts being such a fantastic addition to the game, it becomes a hindrance of time wasted just to use something that we've all spent time to get.

@Eaglezeyez.4068 said:It really happens a lot. I play with my wife and she does have a weaker system as well, but mine's pretty up to date and it still happens to me. Yes you can sit an wait for it to catch up, but why should we have to? Obviously this is affecting a lot of people, and I hope Arenanet does plan to fix it soon. With mounts being such a fantastic addition to the game, it becomes a hindrance of time wasted just to use something that we've all spent time to get.

First of all, this is not related to the system but to the internet connection. Therefore, ANet must have the mounts preload everytime you launch the game and put this data in the temporary folder, as mounts are being used constantly, not occasionally, and having to wait after each teleport is annoying as hell.

Secondly, I too hope they will do something about it with the upcoming patch next Tuesday. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Not lag per say its the way the game streams in content. I get this when I first go to a map or new far away wp and hop on mount and move right away. Some times when i come out of water hop on mount quickly it happens to. i bet a player based on an SSD and stream content option set to instant sees it alot less or possibly not at all. As what we are seeing happen is the game hasn't streamed in our mount model or triggering code so camera dont know you are on a mount, so it stays static while you slide on your rump across the map for bout 2-3 secs as game streams in the content and mount data model and trigger code. They could probably solve it pretty simply by changing the mounts priority in the data stream.

Internet is indeed not the problem, i have a 30ms-50ms ping consistently when i play, with a 9.5 mb/s download and upload speed game only uses about 200 kb/s probably not even that. Online game(s) packet sizes are pretty small and bandwidth is way lower than say watching a video on youtube. The issue is tied more to our basic HDDs and some the luckier people based on SSDs. Between the 2 in comparison, I'd bet there is drastic differences when it comes to streaming the games content. SSDs would be nearly instant while those based on basic HDDs would have a slight latency on content loading. Which is expected and why SSDs are so popular and must haves for games that stream content.

It is possible anet development is using SSDs and maybe why this little bug has went under there noses all the way into the launch of mounts. They would probably never encountered it like the majority of the player base has. Because not everyone can afford or has an SSD for gw2 installment. (i have it planned but got other priorities at the moment).

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I don't think it has to do with the internet connection. I have a great internet connection, never any lag, and I encounter this bug. It has to do with how fast (my or other) computers can render objects.

It's definitely the internet connection.

Up until April 2016, I had a xDSL connection. Now, that wasn't as fast as my current one regarding the Mbit/s download rate, but since that was via phone connection, I didn't have anyone else clogging it (everyone else had switched to fiber a long time ago). Maps and textures would load in a matter of seconds.

Now that I have a twice as fast glass fiber connection, GW2 maps, objects and textures load a lot slower (maybe ten to fifteen times as slow) due to the heavy traffic in my neighborhood/region. It's rather annoying.

Archived