Post your Weapon Design Contest submission

SamKablam.6241

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was tough competition, 900 entries to 20 finalists. Didn't make it through, so here is my Pantheon Axe:VWzj7Ap.jpgGeneral idea was to depcit all gods. From the top there is Balthazar section with hounds turned against the rest of the gods. Spear striking Abaddon's head symbolize Kormir. Grenth and Lyssa on the left side and Dwayna and melandru on the right side.

Looking at this now I see so much room for improvement. I thnik I will spend some time to repaint details :dizzy:

edit. For clarification - I know it's a lot of details, but It was meant to be just a concept to inspire in-game weapon.

@fey.5438 said:That was tough competition, 900 entries to 20 finalists. Didn't make it through, so here is my Pantheon Axe:VWzj7Ap.jpgGeneral idea was to depcit all gods. From the top there is Balthazar section with hounds turned against the rest of the gods. Spear striking Abaddon's head symbolize Kormir. Grenth and Lyssa on the left side and Dwayna and melandru on the right side.

Looking at this now is I see so much room for improvement. I thnik I will spend some time to repaint details :dizzy:

WHAT? That didn't make it in??? Who decided on the finalists lol... Your's is truly one of the best ones I've seen. Don't get why this isn't a finalist but a simple purple 2D-Staff with crystals is...

@Zan.9861 said:I'm sharing my concepts as well :)

UtH4NZH.jpg

HOLY SHIT that shield is amazing! I'm so sad that Guardians rarely use shields and this is not going to be in the game. :anguished:

@fey.5438

How long did it take to make that axe? Amazing work there as well, man! I would love to have this in the game, but I am certain that this didn't make it because of a lot of potato computers out there and the engine would probably not be able to display such detail also.

@fey.5438

How long did it take to make that axe? Amazing work there as well, man! I would love to have this in the game, but I am certain that this didn't make it because of a lot of potato computers out there and the engine would probably not be able to display such detail also.

I'm glad you like it:) I know It's too much details for the game, but the weapon is just a concept and inspiration, so each section could be simplified.

It took me about 2-3h to figure out sketch and 4h to paint details.

That sylvari-ish thing on the first page, that one apparently didn't make it into the finale? It was supposed to be a long- or shortbow, right, and the tip of that spear that tiny green entity holding would be your arrow?

Is there a kind of rule what sort of special effects like those can be applied to which weapons (type and rarity?). Like, effects to be permanently seen around the character only do legendaries? Did these suggestions/specialities have an effect on which weapons became finalist and which not? Obviously only skilled artists made it into the finale. A good idea alone isn't enough if you can't translate it into a sufficiently professional image I guess.

I can imagine the human gods axe, as gorgeous as the design looks and as cool as the idea sounds, might have been a nightmare to texture in detail, as well as Balthazar looking down/facing the other gods might have been a major story spoiler (not that anet isn't already kinda spoiling that detail to everyone who visits the GW2 website and wonders who is depicted in the head-on artwork, and in the way PoF is advertised in the gem store too, but still).

UtH4NZH.jpg

Wow! I really start to question Anets top 20 weapons... Its rigged because these awesome weapons should have been under the top 20 for sure! I'd really love to have this moon shield with the sword for my chrono! Awesome work :)

@Enoah.1956 said:That sylvari-ish thing on the first page, that one apparently didn't make it into the finale? It was supposed to be a long- or shortbow, right, and the tip of that spear that tiny green entity holding would be your arrow?

Is there a kind of rule what sort of special effects like those can be applied to which weapons (type and rarity?). Like, effects to be permanently seen around the character only do legendaries? Did these suggestions/specialities have an effect on which weapons became finalist and which not? Obviously only skilled artists made it into the finale. A good idea alone isn't enough if you can't translate it into a sufficiently professional image I guess.

I can imagine the human gods axe, as gorgeous as the design looks and as cool as the idea sounds, might have been a nightmare to texture in detail, as well as Balthazar looking down/facing the other gods might have been a major story spoiler (not that anet isn't already kinda spoiling that detail to everyone who visits the GW2 website and wonders who is depicted in the head-on artwork, and in the way PoF is advertised in the gem store too, but still).

that bow is the legendary bow https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kudzu

my 2 entrie from main and second acc

hWiPlA6.jpgGvdmDl9.jpg

one in german 1 in englischthe more joking sop shield and the more serious unicorn sword wth bunsh of flame critiuq if you can read both fine if not ignor it

@Sodeni.6041 said:

UtH4NZH.jpg

Wow! I really start to question Anets top 20 weapons... Its rigged because these awesome weapons should have been under the top 20 for sure! I'd really love to have this moon shield with the sword for my chrono! Awesome work :)

Hey I really appreciate your kind words, maybe next contest will be more open :)

Ah, kitten it I'll post mine here as well

H1Qw7TK.jpg

The concept for the dagger is a piece of old magic from a time long gone by. It was standard issue to the troops of forgotten kingdom and that is why the inscriptions on it read "Front towards enemy" and "Blade do not hold"

7MWKKpl.jpg

The concept for the shield is something that has been carried either by the commander or someone fighting with them for the entirety of the game, it once was a nice new shield displaying a guild emblem on it (should change to be the guild you are repping) but having fought Zhitan's minions, Scarlet's machines, Mordrimoth's horrors, and Bathizar's forces this shield has taken a beating, but it has come out the other side infused with hope and magic and it is stronger than ever.

FXSGxrR.jpg

The torch concept was more simple and mostly, what is something that would look cool and have a nice smoke effect, I also wanted something that would kind of fit visiting the desert and becoming closer to the gods. The inscriptions around the top and bottom the the handle read, "Through the" "Burning of the flame" "We find ourselves" "Purified and purged"

Hope you enjoy seeing some of the designs that didn't make it.

@Zidane.9824 said:ZUfPM6J.jpgRushed Submission

I'd vote for that one in a heartbeat. Elegant, polished, with a magic flare that doesn't light up the sky, and looks like something one would actually be able to fight with. Zan's shield is also amazing. It must have been very hard for the ANet panelists to narrow things down.

@TehCorbzor.9852 said:Ah, kitten it I'll post mine here as well

H1Qw7TK.jpg

The concept for the dagger is a piece of old magic from a time long gone by. It was standard issue to the troops of forgotten kingdom and that is why the inscriptions on it read "Front towards enemy" and "Blade do not hold"

I totally vote for more weapons with stowed and drawn 'modes'!

I really dig that dagger with the stow away being a circle, would really go well with a druid/ranger!

Here's the two concepts I've thrown up as entries. They're more or less charr themed weapons. One is a take on a compact crossbow/rifle mix, the other is pretty much just a big 'ol rusty Iron legion tower shield.

eNgULZQ.jpg

I wanted to make a Choya themed weapon so I made a mace, and it was before the hammer came out. So the idea was there was a choya sitting on a mystical sand orb which was floating above a desert jungle vine wrapped handle with a fluid water bottle for the hilt that could collect water from the choya like one would from a cactus. 1 is fine line other is not. Having some problems getting the image url from imgr to workhttps://i.imgur.com/54u0SEC.png[/img]https://i.imgur.com/Fym0Vt3.png[/img]

@Sodeni.6041 said:

@fey.5438 said:That was tough competition, 900 entries to 20 finalists. Didn't make it through, so here is my Pantheon Axe:
VWzj7Ap.jpg
General idea was to depcit all gods. From the top there is Balthazar section with hounds turned against the rest of the gods. Spear striking Abaddon's head symbolize Kormir. Grenth and Lyssa on the left side and Dwayna and melandru on the right side.

Looking at this now is I see so much room for improvement. I thnik I will spend some time to repaint details :dizzy:

WHAT? That didn't make it in??? Who decided on the finalists lol... Your's is truly one of the best ones I've seen. Don't get why this isn't a finalist but a simple purple 2D-Staff with crystals is...

the 2-D staff with crystals is an axe and it isn't a finalist, they haven't posted the voting finalists yet

Archived