Just a couple questions

Aramus.8143

Hi all

I haven't played for a while due to personal and health reasons (I'm old).

I have GW2, bought it a good while back. I want to buy the Path of Fire Ultimate Edition.I also want to get the Heart of Thorns Collectors edition. It says I can get Hot added to my check outwhen I order PoF. Do I get a choice at check out for the collectors edition or is it just the regular edition ?.

Also If I make a character and buy say a 20 slot bag. If for some reason I decide to delete him can I putthe bag in the bank for another character to use or do I lose it ?.

And just some things I read about classes. I like caster classes so:

Elementalist - Low health, welcome in groups, low to moderate durability, good mobility but very fragile.

Mesmer - Medium health, welcome in groups, fragile, low durability, not good at direct combat.

Necromancer - High health, trouble finding groups, moderate durability, easy to learn, limited mobility.

Are the above descriptions pretty much what they are now. And I know that races are pretty muchjust pictures of who you want to play and have no effect on stats but what about the starting area.Are there any that are more fun, easier to navigate, etc.

I can't speak to the collectors edition, but as far as the bags go, you can certainly store any bags you buy or craft in storage until you put it on a new character.

Also, build are so much more refined now. All the casting classes are welcomed in groups. They all have great uses and build available now.

I'm not sure if the HoT Collector's Edition is still available. It doesn't look like it's an option at checkout when buying PoF Ultimate (you do have to select HoT Standard as an option for $20 USD). If there is a way to upgrade HoT to Collector's Edition, it may be in-game, via gems. It's more likely that the Collector's Edition of HoT is no longer available, since I don't see that as an option when just purchasing HoT from the online store.

Bags should be easily transferable, unless they're a soulbound gift (not sure that this exists anyway). Account bound or unbound isn't an issue. As for caster class, I agree with @IvoryAire.1597, all are welcomed and have utility and favored builds. If you have a preference in theme or how to compliment a group of friends that you'll be playing with, I'd go that route.

You can upgrade your HoT to deluxe edition in-game through the gemstore, same as the basegame and I suppose PoF, too, if you haven't bought the deluxe/ultimate edition to begin with.

Most bags (with a very few exceptions) are not bound, so you can move them over to your bank and put them on another character any time they're empty. Extra bag slots on the other hand are character-bound (and can be bought from the gemstore).

Generally you can (and always could) do any content with any class. Whether they're welcome or not depends a lot more on the people you play with than the class in general ;) .

Every character automatically unlocks the starting waypoints outside of all five racial cities, so you can basically do whichever starting area you prefer regardless of race choice. All it takes is a few copper (while you're low level) to move to the area of choice.

That said, I personally prefer asura as I love their animation and voice as well as their city and personal story, but sylvari, norn, and charr are also on my list of characters multiple times. The lone human was a mistake that I'd rather not talk about ;) .

Just a couple answers:

@Aramus.8143 said:I have GW2, bought it a good while back. I want to buy the Path of Fire Ultimate Edition.I also want to get the Heart of Thorns Collectors edition. It says I can get Hot added to my check outwhen I order PoF. Do I get a choice at check out for the collectors edition or is it just the regular edition ?

I think that's just the standard edition, but you can buy the HoT Deluxe upgrade in the gem store for 2,400 gems which will give you all the extra stuff. (There is no physical collectors edition for HoT.)

@Aramus.8143 said:Also If I make a character and buy say a 20 slot bag. If for some reason I decide to delete him can I putthe bag in the bank for another character to use or do I lose it ?

Yes you can put the bag into the bank. (BTW one thing you can't transfer is extra bag slots - those are specific to the character. Even if you make a new character in the same slot they won't have the extra bag slots, so it's a good idea to hold off on buying them until you're sure you'll keep the character.)

I have no idea about how other people view different professions. I mainly play with people who don't care what you play as long as you're happy with it, so I've never worried about what people want in their groups.

"I think that's just the standard edition, but you can buy the HoT Deluxe upgrade in the gem store for 2,400 gems which will give you all the extra stuff. (There is no physical collectors edition for HoT.)"

Thanks Danikat.8537. I already have 5 Character slots so that should give me a total of 7. I'm only using 3 slots which the characters are very low level so I'll use them for storage and start all new casters.

Necros tend to not be wanted in most of the raids as they don't provide utility/support to the group. Having said that, Power Necro/Reaper running marauder's gear is a blast and I can solo numerous champions. As for mobility, I run signet of the locust for 25% speed increase MOST of the time. If I know I'm going into a fight against 1 or more champions, I swap that to signet of spite. The only time I have drop into shroud is when I screw-up, or get a second champ to spawn on top of me while I'm soloing another one (nighttime in Bitterfrost Frontier. Almost had the Troll down for the second time when the stupid griffon champ spawned and spammed me with chill...).

I have a mesmer/chronomancer in all soldier's gear (except for the elite spec collection ascended shield) that came with the instant level 80 boost. I took her down to the Troll Runestone HP in Tangled Depths, along with the engineer on my alt account. I had the engi drop every turret it could and start the HP. I then ignored the engi and solo'd the champion troll on my mesmer (I'm just not that good with engi yet, plus I only have leveling/dropped equipment on it). And after that was done, some nice person ran up behind me and started the HP again...before all my skills were off cool-down! So I got to do the fight twice in a row!

My ele is pure berserkers armor...and she would have died before I could get that same HP to 50% solo. Ele is not the most difficult to learn to play, but it is far from the easiest either. Pure bersker ele is going to make it squishy and needing support. Other builds and stat combinations might off-set this, but I don't have the experience to say one way or the other.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:Necros tend to not be wanted in most of the raids as they don't provide utility/support to the group. Having said that, Power Necro/Reaper running marauder's gear is a blast and I can solo numerous champions. As for mobility, I run signet of the locust for 25% speed increase MOST of the time. If I know I'm going into a fight against 1 or more champions, I swap that to signet of spite. The only time I have drop into shroud is when I screw-up, or get a second champ to spawn on top of me while I'm soloing another one (nighttime in Bitterfrost Frontier. Almost had the Troll down for the second time when the stupid griffon champ spawned and spammed me with chill...).

I have a mesmer/chronomancer in all soldier's gear (except for the elite spec collection ascended shield) that came with the instant level 80 boost. I took her down to the Troll Runestone HP in Tangled Depths, along with the engineer on my alt account. I had the engi drop every turret it could and start the HP. I then ignored the engi and solo'd the champion troll on my mesmer (I'm just not that good with engi yet, plus I only have leveling/dropped equipment on it). And after that was done, some nice person ran up behind me and started the HP again...before all my skills were off cool-down! So I got to do the fight twice in a row!

My ele is pure berserkers armor...and she would have died before I could get that same HP to 50% solo. Ele is not the most difficult to learn to play, but it is far from the easiest either. Pure bersker ele is going to make it squishy and needing support. Other builds and stat combinations might off-set this, but I don't have the experience to say one way or the other.

Great, thank you. With starting over any help I can get is really appreciated. I was thinking of working on necro and mesmer. From what I've been reading they seem to be pretty popular.

Races go a little beyond "appearance", as each race also has special dialogue that crops up here and there, different personal story experiences, and even a few achievements that can only be completed by specific races. I won't say it makes a monumental difference which race you pick, but there are small effects throughout the whole of the game, especially if you pay attention to details. Lots of fun to be had, no matter which race you pick. I recommend trying each at least once.

@Aramus.8143 said:And just some things I read about classes. I like caster classes so:

Elementalist - Low health, welcome in groups, low to moderate durability, good mobility but very fragile.

Mesmer - Medium health, welcome in groups, fragile, low durability, not good at direct combat.

Necromancer - High health, trouble finding groups, moderate durability, easy to learn, limited mobility.

Are the above descriptions pretty much what they are now. And I know that races are pretty muchjust pictures of who you want to play and have no effect on stats but what about the starting area.Are there any that are more fun, easier to navigate, etc.

I wouldn't lock any GW2 class into such narrow descriptions, especially not without specifying a game mode. For instance, ele in raids is very much a glass cannon DPS class, while ele in PvP is a tanky support healer with excellent survivability. To avoid problems, you shouldn't deviate too much from the meta in organized group play as other players are generally counting on you to fulfill a specific role. But if open world is more your thing you can play these classes however you like.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@Aramus.8143 said:And just some things I read about classes. I like caster classes so:

I wouldn't lock any GW2 class into such narrow descriptions, especially not without specifying a game mode. For instance, ele in raids is very much a glass cannon DPS class, while ele in PvP is a tanky support healer with excellent survivability. To avoid problems, you shouldn't deviate too much from the meta in organized group play as other players are generally counting on you to fulfill a specific role. But if open world is more your thing you can play these classes however you like.

I agree with @AliamRationem.5172. First of all, context matters. And for Guild Wars 2, that means discerning between open world (from solo play to large map-wide meta events), Fractals, Raids, sPvP, and WvW. Each game mode views each class differently.

Archived