Returning Player - Where to start?

Icarrus.5421

It really depends. If experiencing the story in more-or-less the right order is important to you, see where you left off with the personal story, then go talk to Magister Ela McKay in Lion's Arch to get a re-cap of Living World Season 1 if you missed any of it. After that, pick up any of the LWS2 episodes you missed, and then head deeper into the jungle for the HoT story. You may need to use the LFG tool to find well-populated maps, but there are still plenty of people doing the meta events and willing to help with the trickier bits of map completion for any of the achievements or collections you might like to do.

LWS3 continues the story, and those maps are good for achievement chasing and ascended trinkets, plus an ascended back piece collection, ascended water breathers, and a collection that unlocks the ability to craft a legendary trinket (Aurora). After that, head to the desert.

If you aren't worried about experiencing the story out of order, but would like some convenience, do the first story step of Heart of Thorns to unlock the glider, and the first story step of Path of Fire to unlock a mount, then hit the LWS3 episodes if you need to build up karma or to get those ascended trinkets and upgrade your gear, after which you will probably have some idea which maps are of most immediate interest to you.

If you pick-up both HoT and PoF, I'd recommend starting in HoT. You can get a feel for your mesmer again and join other in an event chain and/or hero-point train (the HP's in HoT and PoF are 10 each, instead of 1 each, like in core - HoT difficulty is quite high and PoF is moderate to low, relative to Core being a cakewalk - some are commune, so the difficulty is getting to them or killing something that's around them first).

If you head to HoT first and enjoy some exploration and group events, you should be able to get Gliding started. If you head over to PoF and do the first bit of the story with an instance and a heart, you can unlock the raptor mount. Those two things will help you explore both expansions to a greater degree as you feel comfortable, and they should enable you to get acquainted with the Core maps again (alts or main).

Check out the Elite specializations available to each class. This is where getting the HP's in the expansions and throughout the core will be handy if you'd like to try out something for your Mesmer or level an alt and push them through to one of the Elite specializations. Every class has an elite available, one per expansion.

Glad that you've returned; enjoy!

If you finished Living Story Season 2 before you took your break, then yes, that's what I would do as far as the story goes. You may be able to purchase Season 3 when you buy the expansions, but if not, they can be unlocked with gems. Be sure to log on for each new episode of Season 4 even if you take another break, since you can unlock them for free during their initial release window, then play through them later.

@Icarrus.5421 said:Is that pre-expansions? So I wouldn’t need to worry about the expansions just yet?The "correct" order is:Living World Season 2Heart of ThornsLiving World Season 3Path of Fire

Depends on where you left off and how determined you really are to do it in the "right" order. Personally...I'd unlock gliding as quick as I could (1st heart of thorns mission). It is a life saver whenever you stumble off a cliff in any of the maps. Then go back and do whatever story missions you want.

Check your story tab.Also i suggest take both expansions. Reason is simply because for me HoT maps are way better with PoF mounts.I find myself more at hot maps than pof for do some reason. Maybe are the meta events there that i like more.Other than that, is worth to have all LS seasons to have full in depth story and the game complete.

@Icarrus.5421 said:Silly question but how do I know which ‘living world’ I’m on?

Your story tab should tell you where you left off. Since you have neither expac, and if you were playing when LS2 & 3 were live. Then them two seasons should be available to you. S2&3 pretty much segue way in to their respective expansions. Get to grips with the story in them first before getting the expansions. Otherwise you'll be lost as to what the heck is going on in the expansion if you just jump in.

Archived