Gargoyles

Narcemus.1348

So, this is an incredibly random idea to me that has nothing to do with the lore that has been added to the game recently. I was just recently thinking about the Gargoyles, the ones that disappeared from Tyria, not the ones that haunt the Labyrinth. We know next to nothing about their origins or where they went. We don't even know much about their biology. Here is where the speculation begins, Gargoyles in real world lore are living stone, and while Guild Wars gargoyles have some parts that look like they can be fleshy, some parts look like they could be stone as well, and some gargoyles actually drop granite slabs upon death. I was putting a few pieces together and noticed that the Gargoyles were only ever found to live in Ascalon, usually in the catacombs until the Searing occurred and they came to the surface. Now is where the train of thought gets interesting, there is at least one other group of individuals that we know of that are speculated to have lived in the area that are related to living stone, the dwarves... What if, after all this time, the answer to why the gargoyles disappeared has been sitting right in front of us? What if the Dwarves undergoing the Rite of the Great Dwarf called them away? What if they were somehow involved with the way in which dwarves were created? Early experiments? I understand this speculation has a thousand flaws (what about mergoyles, etc..), I also understand that the information is very old and could have been discussed a long time ago, but I am curious what others thoughts on this are.

Ah, good point. Always check the timeline. I had remembered that their disappearance was after the Rite of the Great Dwarf, i just hadn't remembered that it was so far removed. Still, even if their disappearance isn't directly connected to the Rite, doesn't mean that there couldn't be some connection between them and the dwarves.

@Narcemus.1348 said:I Don't recall seeing those. I remember imps, destroyers, elementals, spiders and I Don't really remember mobs in the last room, though I could be wrong.

I think they are outside rather than in the mine itself. I'll have to have a look. There's definitely gargoyles somewhere in PoF

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Narcemus.1348 said:I Don't recall seeing those. I remember imps, destroyers, elementals, spiders and I Don't really remember mobs in the last room, though I could be wrong.

I think they are outside rather than in the mine itself. I'll have to have a look. There's definitely gargoyles somewhere in PoF

I've seen them (they're in the fire room with the embers and djinn), but they're the Mad Realm griffon gargoyles. I believe there was a dev statement back around the first Halloween that those weren't intended to be the same as the humanoid gargoyles that vanished from Ascalon.

Archived