Power Soulbeast vs. Holosmith

Za Shaloc.3908

Hey all, I was wondering if any of you had any tips to fight against Holosmiths. Honestly the duels I have had feel more on the balanced side of things, but I always feel like the Holosmith has the upper hand with all of the utility it has in its kit (Rocket Boots and Elixirs) on top of the high damage Photon Forge mode brings. I tend to play with Longbow and Sword/Warhorn. It's a bit frustrating for me to fight them because I feel like I can't really make any mistakes and then when I think I can land a burst, they Elixir S or stealth and negate that burst. I have Signet of Stone, but that will only be good for one burst and I feel like I rely way too much on it in those duels. When they run Rocket Boots, it's hard for me to kite them, especially with the crazy range that the knockdown has in Photon Forge, and then the fact they still have some ranged pressure when taking Rifle. I would love any tips because I feel like more often than not, I have to play perfectly in order to win the duel, and even then, they have such great disengage potential so actually landing the kill often just doesn't happen. Sorry if this comes across as complaining, they are just a difficult spec for me to fight and I would like to get better. I think my biggest mistake is allowing them to get too close to me.

When they are in photon forge, you should be in sword/warhorn. Being in longbow while a Holo is in Photon Forge mode is not smart because alot of engis run 15% reduced damage in photon, they have almost permanent stability in that mode, and you will have less defensives. The sword 2 and 3 combined with normal dodges is enough to dodge all their photon forge burst. Stealthing with your smokefield while evading them will also make them waste more aoes and leaps (and heating up faster) trying to hit you in stealth. When they arent in Photon Forge you should be pressuring them with longbow burst. If they are running reflects/blocks make sure to pop beastmode right as you hit rapid fire for the unblockable.

Ranger is my Main and Holo is my secondary and I can assure you that rangers have the upper hand in this fight. If you're not able to kite them it may be because your sitting in longbow for too long. Most engis don't run stability outside of Photon Forge mode, so make sure to hit your CC after they've left it.

@ninjambo.3784 said:When they are in photon forge, you should be in sword/warhorn. Being in longbow while a Holo is in Photon Forge mode is not smart because alot of engis run 15% reduced damage in photon, they have almost permanent stability in that mode, and you will have less defensives. The sword 2 and 3 combined with normal dodges is enough to dodge all their photon forge burst. Stealthing with your smokefield while evading them will also make them waste more aoes and leaps (and heating up faster) trying to hit you in stealth. When they arent in Photon Forge you should be pressuring them with longbow burst. If they are running reflects/blocks make sure to pop beastmode right as you hit rapid fire for the unblockable.

Ranger is my Main and Holo is my secondary and I can assure you that rangers have the upper hand in this fight. If you're not able to kite them it may be because your sitting in longbow for too long. Most engis don't run stability outside of Photon Forge mode, so make sure to hit your CC after they've left it.

What he says

• 1 year later...

@ninjambo.3784 said:Ranger is my Main and Holo is my secondary and I can assure you that rangers have the upper hand in this fight. If you're not able to kite them it may be because your sitting in longbow for too long. Most engis don't run stability outside of Photon Forge mode, so make sure to hit your CC after they've left it.

Agreed with this as well, as holo main, I definitely struggle to counter a good SB. With their high level of evades, stun breaks, unblockables, and their ability to kite and pressure us from range while we retreat for sustain, they can more or less nullify the highly telegraphed holo skills and pressure we put on other classes.

Right now I'm working on playing SB myself, if for no other reason than to figure out timing against them - but I fear it'll just confirm that they will simply out-duel us (mesmers do this as well in my experience, even bad ones).

I have lots of experience.Personally I'd say your weapon choice is a big issue if you wanna fight melee. Use GS instead it has more.dmg and holo actually has to be afraid of you.

In photon forge thing make sure you have stab ready, preferably a way to mitigate some dmg.. and a few evades. Dodge his #3 so he doesn't get stab ( this means you need to be in beastmode so pet doesn't proc it ). Dodge that.. and try to hit him with maul while hes casting stuff like his KD Aoe. After photon he's gonna try to stealth and reset with rifle. He will probably have quickness so make sure to dodge his KB on the rifle or block ( remember, use Gs not sword ) . You essentially have to beat him with good stealth rotations and superior CC. If you run gazelle like me you have 2 daze in beastmode GS, 1 block/KB and maul. Holo lacks stability/stunbreaks but they have more quickness than you.

The only time holo should have a clear advantage over you is if they use "lock on" for reveal so you can't stealth. Otherwise the fight should be quite fair. I assume my rotation advice is enough... Use longbow only at the right time. Your main weapon is GS..

Archived