Finding Builds

notebene.3190

[First paragraph kinda sounds like I shouldn't post this here, but bear with me, or just skip it :)]

I was hoping to try a condi (I guess that's what the short bow is, I really want to play around with the short bow) Renegade build, and make her some new weapons and armor to go with that. I've never done a condi build before, most of my other classes are some sort of Power variant, and most wear Zerker gear, with some exceptions. My Rev is currently a Herald that mostly heals (S/Shield+Staff) in Clerics gear. Served me well enough, but it's been a really long time since I've played with or enjoyed the short bow, and thought this would be a good opportunity to make someone who could do that again. My Ranger used one for awhile before the range was nerfed, and there was a period of time when I used one on my Thief, but that was a long time ago (pistols!).

Now, while this starts like a 'go post this on the Rev forum', it got me thinking more in general terms that I just don't know how to 'find' builds. I go to gw2skills.net, but there isn't anything really 'saved' there that you just look up, like 'top builds' or what not. At least that I can figure out. It seems like unless someone posts it somewhere, you don't see it.

When I go peruse a class forum, it's always like I'm coming into the middle of a conversation, and everyone on the planet (except me) knows the metas and the combinations and the moves and the rotations...and don't get me started on the acronyms and other short hand. This is a great example of the type of threads I'm trying to pick through, hoping to find some links to some builds to try, and not finding any links, but a lot of people that just seem to know everything and they all just seem to take this stuff for granted, and I can't figure out how to get to that point to understand the conversation.

I've had some luck in the past finally coming across builds that work for me, often times making sacrifices so I can use my existing weapons and armor (my main Elementalist is a great example, finding builds for HoT and PoF that worked with Zerker gear and a staff). Struggling to find a Renegade build with a short bow and (?/?), and it got me wondering where people hang out that they just 'know' all this stuff? Is there a site besides 'gw2skills.net' that I'm missing that has saved, rated builds?

Also, I know people say "well in open world PvE, you can do whatever you want", but I'm pretty bad at picking things that go together, and need someting a 'little' more powerful than me with a blindfold on throwing darts at my screen to pick things to at least 'start' with, and then fine tune to my own play style later.

I just re-read all that, and it's totally not clear as to what I'm looking for help with, and I apologize. I guess 'better direction and finding builds for specializations to try' in general?

The reason you don't see renegade builds with shortbow is because it has poor DPS compared to Mace+Axe (the reigning champ of condi weapons for rev). However, most builds simply don't list a second set for weaponswap because it's usually disadvantageous to do so in the tight rotation. No harm done for having your bow equipped and using it in open world. Like said, the QT build for condi renegade is probably the best you can find, as revenant has much less room for theorycrafting compared to other classes.

A caveat for people using qT builds: their builds are designed for tailored raid scenarios, where individual survival is compensated for by two Druids and two Chronomancers. While they still make for a great baseline build in other less-structured scenarios, be ready to change your build or rotation to fit a given situation.

For example, a variant I sometimes use swaps out Destruction for Invocation with Cleansing Channel (Adept trait) for a low-cooldown stunbreak and condition cleanse, which are useful in many parts of HoT and PoF. This then allows you to pick up Demonic Defiance (Corruption Adept) and Maniacal Persistence (Corruption Grandmaster) for large bursts of Torment damage that will usually make short work of enemy groups.

Lastly, when channeling Kalla, I often find it more useful to use Darkrazor's Daring to interrupt enemies or break their Defiance bars.

@Ojimaru.8970 said:A caveat for people using qT builds: their builds are designed for tailored raid scenarios, where individual survival is compensated for by two Druids and two Chronomancers. While they still make for a great baseline build in other less-structured scenarios, be ready to change your build or rotation to fit a given situation.

For example, a variant I sometimes use swaps out Destruction for Invocation with Cleansing Channel (Adept trait) for a low-cooldown stunbreak and condition cleanse, which are useful in many parts of HoT and PoF. This then allows you to pick up Demonic Defiance (Corruption Adept) and Maniacal Persistence (Corruption Grandmaster) for large bursts of Torment damage that will usually make short work of enemy groups.

Lastly, when channeling Kalla, I often find it more useful to use Darkrazor's Daring to interrupt enemies or break their Defiance bars.

I'm trying out your suggestion, but not entirely sure what some of the 'rest' of my picks should be in that build. Right now, I've got Invocation, Corruption, Renegade - all 3 right across the middle. Took a guess at filling in the other non-mentioned areas. :)

Archived