Design-a-Weapon Contest voting

Natto.5819

Hi there. I have a question on the weapon design voting that's going on until Nov. 10. Are we allowed to vote multiple times? My friend voted for his favorite weapon over 1,000 times using multiple VPN IPs and masking his browser cookies. I've only voted once, but I really would like my favorite weapon to win.

@Kichwas.7152 said:So basically you're telling us your friend there ruined it for everyone...

can only hope they figure out who he was and perma-ban him.

There's also a simpler way to do it that is well known and doesn't use VPN. The poll is certainly already ruined.

ANET needs to do a poll through this forum somehow requiring us to be logged in.

I honestly voted only once, but I can't find any instructions on the limit of votes you can submit. The main page just says that the top 3 with the most votes win. I would love to get an official response to know if I can submit more votes legitimately.

It really depends on the amount of people voting, I doubt that a large part will use any method to vote multiple times.ofcourse there is also the change that you friend is boasting with the 1000 whilst it could be lower.

but aside from that, i was reall surprised i could vote without being logged in, allowing people that never heard of gw2 to vote for a random weapon.there is the change the will do a revote, if more of these threads appear, where payed-accounts(no f2p) that are lets say 3 months or older are allowed to vote (that have also been active in the month before the voting started,)

Any type of online poll is going to be open to misuse, the only variations are how easy it is and how motivated the people voting are to bias the results. It's gotten to the point where some music sites will run polls on "Who is the favourite [whatever]" and then announce the winner and the band/song/album whose fans have the most/best bots. (They don't care that it's biased because those polls are always meaningless and pretty arbitrary to begin with, the point is to get people visiting their website to vote and see the result and they get that regardless.)

Even if they required you to log in and restricted it to 1 vote per account it'd just mean the people who own multiple accounts are the ones able to affect the outcome.

In this case it would be nice if the winner was actually the one that most people like. But I can absolutely guarantee you that no matter what steps Anet put in place to make sure it's fair and how transparent the whole process is as soon as the result is announced people will be complaining that it's wrong and citing a whole load of reasons, including 'Anet had already decided, the poll was meaningless', 'they made sure it was one X profession can use because it's their favourite', 'X won because Y profession uses it and it's meta/noob friendly/hipster/whatever' (basically a bunch of people play it for reasons the poster considers invalid), 'the designer is part of [some website] so they all voted for it even though it's obviously ugly and no one likes it'...and so on.

@Danikat.8537 said:Any type of online poll is going to be open to misuse, the only variations are how easy it is and how motivated the people voting are to bias the results. It's gotten to the point where some music sites will run polls on "Who is the favourite [whatever]" and then announce the winner and the band/song/album whose fans have the most/best bots. (They don't care that it's biased because those polls are always meaningless and pretty arbitrary to begin with, the point is to get people visiting their website to vote and see the result and they get that regardless.)

Even if they required you to log in and restricted it to 1 vote per account it'd just mean the people who own multiple accounts are the ones able to affect the outcome.

In this case it would be nice if the winner was actually the one that most people like. But I can absolutely guarantee you that no matter what steps Anet put in place to make sure it's fair and how transparent the whole process is as soon as the result is announced people will be complaining that it's wrong and citing a whole load of reasons, including 'Anet had already decided, the poll was meaningless', 'they made sure it was one X profession can use because it's their favourite', 'X won because Y profession uses it and it's meta/noob friendly/hipster/whatever' (basically a bunch of people play it for reasons the poster considers invalid), 'the designer is part of [some website] so they all voted for it even though it's obviously ugly and no one likes it'...and so on.

Thank you for this reply. I understand what you're saying. The voting results will be biased no matter which way a poll is presented. So I guess I won't be breaking any rules if I vote more than once. I does make me a little sad, because I used to think that as an individual player, my voice mattered to the Devs.

Archived