What is a TRUE warrior? Not the actual meta!

Zaraki.5784

I and many other people (at least in my guild as far as I know) are very uppset with last developments for warriors, I always played power melee with GS but now due to balance changes, meta has shifted to condi war.....I mean CONDI WAR! A warrior is by definition a brute power fighter with big melee weapons but now I'm forced to play (T4 and raids) with a longbow+crappy one handed sword (not to mention the torch). Now...I know condi war is actually stronger and all but it's not natural to play a warrior this way, so please do something about bringing back to meta our mighty GS or at least other power builds.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank that to crew whot shout loud "I want to play like thiev in my warrior". "I want to show how skillful I am by pressing 200 buttons per second."

I am not against "diversity", but in a game where there is a meta it is difficult to speak of "diversity".

The only good side of current changes, is that the hammer has once again become powerful.

Warrior is class heavy tied to immersion and playstyle. People who play warrior, chose the class because they like the style of being a "brute man" not trick mechanics or "ninja" playstyle.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:Thank that to crew whot shout loud "I want to play like thiev in my warrior". "I want to show how skillful I am by pressing 200 buttons per second."

I am not against "diversity", but in a game where there is a meta it is difficult to speak of "diversity".

The only good side of current changes, is that the hammer has once again become powerful.

Warrior is class heavy tied to immersion and playstyle. People who play warrior, chose the class because they like the style of being a "brute man" not trick mechanics or "ninja" playstyle.

But thief is not ninjaI just love to play in-your-face power melee style combat, that's why i mained warrior which is also why i love S/D thief, it is the class that allows to you stick to enemies' faces and slash them with your sword with burst damage and counter everything enemies' got whether it be boons or blocks.warrior now it's impossible, power is weak, easily kitable and can not nullify anything against good opponent

Meta where? This post just feels like parroting someone else without really understanding it.

PvP and WvW warrior is weak overall right now because of the adrenaline changes for Berserker but Power builds are still superior for both core warrior and Berserker with Might Makes Right.

Open world PvE Power builds are still better because huge mobility, more survivability built into weapon skills, and Spike DPS. Longbow is slow as shit. Dungeons power build is about the same because of wonky expertise scaling on viper gear.

Condi is only superior in end game PvE content like fractals cmodes and raids and you know what? The Condi warrior rotation is a million times more fun than the power rotation. Power GS warrior in high end pve was just a MESS of wasting Dodges for no good reason, huge DPS loss for mistiming 100b which rooted you in place, DPS loss for saving 100b for a good opportunity anyway, hoping you don't accidentally rush off a boss platform, it was honestly horrifying.

With condi PS there's big satisfaction for getting off your full rotation, there's chances for you to mix up your gameplay by observing the current field finisher to blast or leap, and it comes with the benefit of having a ranged option so your dps isn't trash when you have to range for Deimos etc.

TL;DR condi being "meta" doesn't affect you unless you're at the very end game pve and by then you should have noticed how bad the power ps rotation was anyway.

@Jzaku.9765 said:Meta where? This post just feels like parroting someone else without really understanding it.

PvP and WvW warrior is weak overall right now because of the adrenaline changes for Berserker but Power builds are still superior for both core warrior and Berserker with Might Makes Right.

Open world PvE Power builds are still better because huge mobility, more survivability built into weapon skills, and Spike DPS. Longbow is slow as kitten. Dungeons power build is about the same because of wonky expertise scaling on viper gear.

Condi is only superior in end game PvE content like fractals cmodes and raids and you know what? The Condi warrior rotation is a million times more fun than the power rotation. Power GS warrior in high end pve was just a MESS of wasting Dodges for no good reason, huge DPS loss for mistiming 100b which rooted you in place, DPS loss for saving 100b for a good opportunity anyway, hoping you don't accidentally rush off a boss platform, it was honestly horrifying.

With condi PS there's big satisfaction for getting off your full rotation, there's chances for you to mix up your gameplay by observing the current field finisher to blast or leap, and it comes with the benefit of having a ranged option so your dps isn't trash when you have to range for Deimos etc.

TL;DR condi being "meta" doesn't affect you unless you're at the very end game pve and by then you should have noticed how bad the power ps rotation was anyway.

If you read my post, I specified I was only speaking about T4 and raid. And playing condi, to me, is not the right way to play a warrior. If that's "a million times more fun" well...fine, good for you, but don't say that as it's the truth for everyone.Moreover my post is not about rotations but it's about the fact that a warrior's way to fight shouldn't involve conditions.

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:A True warrior goes around with an axe, shield and hammer and uses their healing skills less than anyone else.Sarcasm will not make you better.

@Theudys.2561 said:Not saying Condi Warrior is bad, but I refuse to go that direction.You intentionally limit yourself.

@TexZero.7910 said:A true warrior is someone who uses all the tools in their bag to achieve the best outcome.

Neither power, nor condi are the true path. Using them where appropriate is.This is truth.

Especially since being able to respec in the field, being flexible enough to pull out weapons out of the bag for special bosses and such ( mai trin being a perfect example) and changing a few build settings on the fly transformed pve completely.

wvw with warriors however, mobility is directly tied to survivability so it's more of a compromise situation.In spvp you can truly go wild ( to various degrees of effectiveness), and i have tried a lot of permutations of weapons and setups over time. You have to be open to new things to be able to grow and improve your playstyle.

What do you mean sarcasm? I'll have you know that "using any means necessary" is the sign of a coward and dirty fighter. Not a True Warrior. If you ask what a "True Warrior" is and you don't get the response you want that doesn't mean it is sarcasm. A true warrior would be true to their sense of honor.

♪I am the very model of a legendary warrior,

I've information about weapons, and all tactics known♪

♪I know the queen of Kryta, and I quote the fights historical

From Khylo to the Foefire, in order categorical;♪

♪I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters of the wild and hunt,

I can track every animal, both land dwellers and aquatical,♪

♪About crafting armor and weapons I'm teeming with a lot o' news,♪

Eh...

Hm…

Lot o' news...

♪With many cheerful facts about how to skin a moose.♪

♪I'm very good at pushing, dazing and stunning you.

And I can even shout fear into every one of your bones too.♪

♪In short, about weapons, and all tactics known,

I am the very model of a legendary warrior!♪

@Zaraki.5784 said:I and many other people (at least in my guild as far as I know) are very uppset with last developments for warriors, I always played power melee with GS but now due to balance changes, meta has shifted to condi war.....I mean CONDI WAR! A warrior is by definition a brute power fighter with big melee weapons but now I'm forced to play (T4 and raids) with a longbow+crappy one handed sword (not to mention the torch). Now...I know condi war is actually stronger and all but it's not natural to play a warrior this way, so please do something about bringing back to meta our mighty GS or at least other power builds.

Your definition of Warrior is wrong imo.. or at least doesn't come from GW2 Warrior. Warrior is the master of weapons, we use more weapons than any other class in this game , why should I have to be stuck to GS? Don't get me wrong, I love GS, but it isnt because of the PvE meta being Condi that i stoped using it. I use it in PvP and other modes beside hing end PvE if i feel like it.

Adapt, if you want to play a Warrior for the GS only, when you can use almost every weapon in the game you are playing either the wrong class or the wrong game

I understand that you may not think condi warrior suits the warrior class by definition, and you are indeed correct, but the condi aspect of the build comes primarily from Berserker. By definition a berserker is a warrior that is so fuelled by rage and adrenaline, that he becomes numb to pain and very unpredictable in the battlefield. Personally, I believe the current condi warrior build stays true to the definition, setting himself alight (torch 5), headbutting enemies, and kicking giant rocks at enemies (shattering blow) all suit the berserker definition.While you could argue that this is not what a traditional warrior is, you must remember that you're using the berserker elite spec. And if I remember correctly, elite specs are designed to play a class in a different role/style, which berserker indeed does.

The same way I feel for warrior I feel for reaper: I do not WANT to play Condi on those(well, except for sPvP). Not only is Viper an investment way too high for me currently(recently came back to the game) I just don't like Warrior as a condi spec in PvE. I got that GS because I wanted to use it and having it left behind like that is kind of sad. Spellbreaker while looking cool won't be a new thing in PvE unfortunetly on top of feeling more like a thief compared to a real warrior.

Thank you for this topic, I whole-heartedly agree with your points.I think most of you are familiar with this picture (it's from the official Wiki page): Professions_reveal_12_%28highlighted%29.When I made my (norn) warrior I wanted to be that type of fighter shown in the middle of the concept art. Unfortunately not only Greataxes doesn't exist in the game, the whole warrior concept went to the opposite direction.I really enjoyed the power variant of the original Berserker though (before it was totally gutted by continuous nerfs), it gave me the brutish juggernaut feeling whenever I went berserk, but now in end-game content you're forced to pew-pew with your Longbow and to slap things with a wet noodle Sword while watching some DoT numbers rolling... Moreover I'm not really happy with the daggers either. I mean daggers, seriously?! In the hands of my max-sized bulky norn? Laughable at the very least.Currently only the core warrior is what still slightly provides that 'warrior feeling' to me. I like condi builds on some classes (ranger or necro for example, where it feels more natural) but I simply refuse to go this direction with my warrior - with a warrior I simply want to hit things hard and fast.And don't get me wrong, I'm all up for build diversity and I do get that some people love condi warrior (it's indeed really nice to have different playstyles), I only want to at least balance those DPS numbers to be remotely close to each other to provide a freakin actual choice for people, and don't make one build obsolate to the other. Now a support condi cPS does what, almost 2 times the damage the most selfish power DPS build can output? What is this joke, seriously.And yes, not long ago there was a state when both condi and power was viable - why they had to screw it up this bad is just way beyond me. And unfortunately it seems like Spellbreaker won't bring a cure to this (at least not in PvE).

Remember to always place your trust in the Holy Trinity of DPS.

May Power, the Father grant you His Might to rain death in the form of large numbers on top of your enemies.

May Precision, the Son, with His Fury guide your blades into the flimsiest of their armor.

Though fallen, may Ferocity, the Holy Spirit, imbue you and magnify the virtues of both, the Father and the Son, so that your blows may fall heavy on your foes taking on the shape of more hard-hitting crits.

Spared and blessed be the followers of the Assassin that, though slightly bent on their ways, share our vision of smooth and efficient speedruns.

May you never degenerate and fall and be led astray to the misguided ways of the Rampager, or the nefarious path of the Soldier, or the wretched lanes of the Rabid.

May your faith in the Berserker never falter, your Fury never quenched, and your Might always stacked to 25.

For Great Justice!

Amen.

(Stolen a long time ago from the old forums)

Actually condi warrior does fit the theme. I mean the conditions applied are bleeding and burning. You get slashed by the sword, then you bleed lol. Burns come from longbow arrows dipped in flames which is based on actual warfare strats in the past. Only the torch is a bit weird. But then again, berserkers are pure rage and rage is often associated with flames. Condi warrior makes sense unless they change the condis into poison or torment.

Atm power necro se> @Zsoak.5409 said:

Thank you for this topic, I whole-heartedly agree with your points.I think most of you are familiar with this picture (it's from the official Wiki page): Professions_reveal_12_%28highlighted%29.When I made my (norn) warrior I wanted to be that type of fighter shown in the middle of the concept art. Unfortunately not only Greataxes doesn't exist in the game, the whole warrior concept went to the opposite direction.I really enjoyed the power variant of the original Berserker though (before it was totally gutted by continuous nerfs), it gave me the brutish juggernaut feeling whenever I went berserk, but now in end-game content you're forced to pew-pew with your Longbow and to slap things with a wet noodle Sword while watching some DoT numbers rolling... Moreover I'm not really happy with the daggers either. I mean daggers, seriously?! In the hands of my max-sized bulky norn? Laughable at the very least.And yes, not long ago there was a state when both condi and power was viable - why they had to screw it up this bad is just way beyond me. And unfortunately it seems like Spellbreaker won't bring a cure to this (at least not in PvE).

Who played of warriors in other games, when come to GW2 will feel very strange.

Even the Axe/Axe have really weird animations.

Archived