gw2 forums suggestion.

MarkoNS.3261

I’m not seeing the point of your suggestion. If they’re talking about the subject of the thread then it should be on the thread. If they have a non thread related remark to make they can private message it. Will these side messages be seen by all? How would these side messages not clutter up the thread or be of value to the discussion?

@MarkoNS.3261 said:no i mean like a scrolling wall of text in real time that shows all online members like discord.

Is this going to be moderated? Because that’s more work for the Mods to do. They’ll probably have to have a pay raise if they’re required to moderate a chat thread. And if it’s not moderated and someone gets on and makes racist/sexist/insult remarks? Then those remarks are on ANet’s company approved forum where it gives ANet a black eye sitting there unmoderated.

If you want something like Discord, well ... look! Discord! Feel free to set up a large scale Discord channel for GW2 forum discussion (if one doesn't exist already) and link it here or in Community Creations. It's super easy to make channels there even for total noobs like myself. If you design the chat channels well and set up permissions to allow comfortable use by all forum folks, it will likely snowball.

I really doubt that Vanilla has a live chat feature for its forums. It's a whole different sort of software from static text message presentation. Why ask for what would likely be a far less robust feature than Discord provides when Discord already exists in all its glory?

@MarkoNS.3261 said:my eyes are rolling at the idea that every little thing needs to be moderated.

Oh? You do realize this is the forum of a business, don’t you? It’s not some fan forum set up by some individual. As it’s the public face of a business then it will need to be moderated because as the conversations would be on their property and visible to all, then lawsuits can be filed if racist, sexist, insults, etc, were posted and left up there.

There is something else you failed to address. What advantages does ANet get for allowing unrelated, possibly libelous, conversations showing up on their private property? The purpose of the forum is to discuss gw2. The reason they have this forum is to hear what we think about their product. How does having a rolling text on other topics help them make their product better and why should they pay to have your suggestion added to the forum when it comes with extra costs and promotes conversations about non gw2 topics?

@MarkoNS.3261 said:you know what nevermind its late and i dont fell like talking to you people anymore.

Here is a little light reading then before you go to sleep (or when you come back).

5 easy ways to get sued over online content

Some excerpts

Social media and online content litigation is the fastest growing legal specialty in the U.S., and the number of cases filed every month has risen consistently since 2007.

Three of these issues – tortious interference, product disparagement, and defamation – are somewhat similar. They all boil down to someone posting something negative in an online forum that damages the reputation of someone else (or something else) in a way that is prohibited by law.

Unlike other things that can get you sued, defamation may be a criminal charge in some places if it crosses the line into cyber-bullying or hate speech, or even if it uses the traditional “fighting words” or discloses information that a reasonable person would believe caused harm to the victim. Defamation includes both written statements (known as libel), spoken statements (called slander), and videos, graphics or photographs.

One thing to remember here is that defamation is in the mind of the reader and the outcome. Intent may (or may not) matter. For instance, you might think that what you posted was endearing, funny, cute, and inoffensive. But if the outcome is that the person is unemployable, or suffers negative consequences, it can be defamatory.

Archived