Underwater combat?!

I'll just start off straight away by saying gw2, might have the best ever underwater combat in games so far. From release and still holds its crown.But for me it seems in the early maps of gw2 when they were still hyped on underwater combat, there is some content and bosses to go for.

So it got me thinking... one of the coolest races in this game for me imo was Tengu, but then I saw the Largos.We haven't seen any new playable races since game release, and there is a clear lack of good underwater content.

An expansion based around the release of the Largos and a greater focus on underwater content (not saying I think it should be all underwater content just more than now.) is probably my wet dream atm, f.ex. an underwater world boss with 3D space movement to play around where the possibilities for different attack patterns etc are huge. Because... there are actually NO underwater worldbosses in a game that has probably the greatest underwater battle system to this day.

Anyone care to dream with me?

EDIT: also... underwater legendaries are looked on as a joke due to the lack of content for it

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@Rumba.3174 said:I don't mind underwater combat. I do like to explore underwater find it pretty kitten cool.

This.I hope they won't ever spend any resource in developing underwater combat anymore.

Take them in developing underwater mounts to just travel around underwater and call it a day.Make all underwater things not hostile no more and that's that.

Since getting the Skimmer, I never go in the water unless I have to. Not because I don't like seeing things underwater, I just don't want to deal with fighting things there.

underwater "mounts" are not needed imho.

1. First, cause it's plural. Moving with swiftness, since there are few underwater zones, it's fair enough.
  2. Second, cause underwater you can freely move in any direction ( the worst exploration ever ). There are no special mechanics needed. At least currenyly ( maybe tomorrow there will be some underwater portals like the ones for jackal, but this would mean that they will throw resources into developing underwater content, so i do really hope this won't ever happen ).

@Rumba.3174 said:I don't mind underwater combat. I do like to explore underwater find it pretty kitten cool.

The underwater exploration part might be what I find most interesting aswell, just think the zones we have now is a bit too shallow.Deep water with nooks n' crannies, caves with f.ex. air pockets for normal combat scenarios.

@Shirlias.8104 said:

This.I hope they won't ever spend any resource in developing underwater combat anymore.

I just think that the 3D space movement if utilized better can prove for great challenges and attack patterns and new mechanics for defeating bosses and the likes.So exactly because not enough resources has spent, if they did spend more resources on underwater combat. Maybe those who despise it would come to like it?

@ChasingDreams.3250 said:

The underwater exploration part might be what I find most interesting aswell, just think the zones we have now is a bit too shallow.Deep water with nooks n' crannies, caves with f.ex. air pockets for normal combat scenarios.

@Shirlias.8104 said:

I just think that the 3D space movement if utilized better can prove for great challenges and attack patterns and new mechanics for defeating bosses and the likes.So exactly because not enough resources has spent, if they did spend more resources on underwater combat. Maybe those who despise it would come to like it?

Not enough?I disagree.

Underwater is a part of tirya.There are plenty of zones where you can Explorer there, and also through personal story.

It was simply a failure, though resources were spent on it.

I agree that for what it is, GW2's underwater combat is far better than any other system out there. Sadly, that's not saying much as almost everyone dreads having to fight underwater. I for one would love to actually see more underwater zones, but I'd like to see far more skills added to go with that. So often, a bunch of useful skills are locked from being used underwater, some for good reasons and others... less so. But if we're going to focus more on underwater combat, we need new weapons. Having just one or two weapons per class is far too few to give any sort of real choice.

As for underwater bossess, I think there is the Krait Witch is Kessex Hills, which people so rarely fight that I think she's a perma-spawn in that underwater cave. I think there's another event chain in a Bloodtide Coast cave, but it's been too long since I've tried it to remember what goes on down there.

In PvE the performance of classes is irrelevant and theres no real benchmark to go on, in WvW you quickly see the laughable imbalance. Some classes are completely worthless underwater, up top they can instakill enemies, down below they cant even kill things 3v1. Some class mechanics make them pretty near immortal, such as rangers. I have seen 5v1 on a ranger and he still healed up again from downed. Underwater balance has been completely ignored since the launch of the game. Its broken and it boring. You'd need like a year of balancing from Anet to do something with it.

@Dawdler.8521 said:In PvE the performance of classes is irrelevant and theres no real benchmark to go on, in WvW you quickly see the laughable imbalance. Some classes are completely worthless underwater, up top they can instakill enemies, down below they cant even kill things 3v1. Some class mechanics make them pretty near immortal, such as rangers. I have seen 5v1 on a ranger and he still healed up again from downed. Underwater balance has been completely ignored since the launch of the game. Its broken and it boring. You'd need like a year of balancing from Anet to do something with it.

In PvE it is relevant because in PvE it's the same issue.When the most annoying bloodstone boss is the shark, you have a problem.

Underwater combat is most likely intentionally avoided by the developers. The issues with it isn't a numbers issue, they have to redo all classes as well as how the combat itself functions underwater. I personally do not enjoy underwater combat and prefer it be used only for easy casual stuff in the open world for exploration. Currently underwater combat has the drawback of requiring additional gear and sometimes you would need two sets of gear, such as if you're condi on land but you have nearly 0 condi under water in addition to 70% of your abilities being disabled, you would then need to swap to power setups for underwater; and the game doesn't provide a quick way to swap between entirely different builds quickly either.

• 2 weeks later...

@Yamazuki.6073 said:Underwater combat is most likely intentionally avoided by the developers. The issues with it isn't a numbers issue, they have to redo all classes as well as how the combat itself functions underwater. I personally do not enjoy underwater combat and prefer it be used only for easy casual stuff in the open world for exploration. Currently underwater combat has the drawback of requiring additional gear and sometimes you would need two sets of gear, such as if you're condi on land but you have nearly 0 condi under water in addition to 70% of your abilities being disabled, you would then need to swap to power setups for underwater; and the game doesn't provide a quick way to swap between entirely different builds quickly either.

The thought never hit me, but you're absolutely right.But yeah, there are some issues that needs to be looked into for underwater combat, they dread touching it for what it is seen as now. But I think that's exactly why it should be changed up a bit, maybe they will actually see use of the mechanic.

@Yamazuki.6073 said:Underwater combat is most likely intentionally avoided by the developers. The issues with it isn't a numbers issue, they have to redo all classes as well as how the combat itself functions underwater. I personally do not enjoy underwater combat and prefer it be used only for easy casual stuff in the open world for exploration. Currently underwater combat has the drawback of requiring additional gear and sometimes you would need two sets of gear, such as if you're condi on land but you have nearly 0 condi under water in addition to 70% of your abilities being disabled, you would then need to swap to power setups for underwater; and the game doesn't provide a quick way to swap between entirely different builds quickly either.

^^This.

I love underwater combat and I think GW2's is the best of any MMO I've played, but a lot of players don't like it and it's not where it needs to be in terms of mainstream gameplay.

ArenaNet has made it clear enough that what we have is what we get, and though I consider it regrettable, I do understand why.

If they re-did underwater combat it would be a huge investment on Anet's part. To start, every skill would ideally be redesigned to work underwater (with this being almost all of Revenant). Then remove the ridiculous aquabreather crap and let us keep our helmets on, and the stats from them. Its kind of absurd to require 7 runes of the same set just to keep your 6 set bonus when you step foot in water. Turn aquabreathers into purely cosmetic items, and only because of the ones with auras.

Then the combat itself would need to be addressed. And it needs quite a bit of work imo. Its less so that its poorly implemented and more so that on land combat in GW2 is just so much better implemented, that its painful to step back into a less developed combat system. If it can't be brought to the same level as on ground combat then I would rather be without it entirely

@OriOri.8724 said:If they re-did underwater combat it would be a huge investment on Anet's part. To start, every skill would ideally be redesigned to work underwater (with this being almost all of Revenant). Then remove the ridiculous aquabreather crap and let us keep our helmets on, and the stats from them. Its kind of absurd to require 7 runes of the same set just to keep your 6 set bonus when you step foot in water. Turn aquabreathers into purely cosmetic items, and only because of the ones with auras.

Then the combat itself would need to be addressed. And it needs quite a bit of work imo. Its less so that its poorly implemented and more so that on land combat in GW2 is just so much better implemented, that its painful to step back into a less developed combat system. If it can't be brought to the same level as on ground combat then I would rather be without it entirely

Quite fair point regarding on ground combat being a lot more refined than underwater.

I am sorry, I am not thrilled at the idea of an underwater content.

I am maybe an exception,but I dislike very much to go underwater. Or to be more precise, I like to go underwater swimming and farming, but combat underwater is something very difficult to me and I do not enjoy it at all.In combat underwater, the 3D is a killer to me. I feel lost, regularly lose my target with big difficulty to catch it again, I also have difficulties to move up and down during fight, losing time, moving badly... Never knowing where I am exactly... Let's be honest: In underwater combat, I am more an iron than a graceful siren...

Due to that, I have nothing against a bigger part of underwater content, but then please, not something mandatory to progression, otherwise, players like me, we will be left aside or forced to be carried out by others, what is not a good feeling for me as I don't want to be a leecher.

I don't enjoy underwater combat and I would like if ANET removed it and focused on underwater exploration only.Currently once you get underwater using combo fields becomes harder, dodging most attacks becomes harder. Half your skills stop working.If underwater content is only exploration it would be fun, there are some nice vistas there.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:I'm still pondering wether I should account-bind a TP-purchased Kraitkin. The weapon looks great but the amount of usefulness is close to zero.

I haven't made a legendary weapon, and have no intention to (5+ years)...but I've told my former guildmates, if I ever do: It would be an underwater legendary...even if it is just for the Underwater Fractal.

That's how much I enjoy/prefer/like underwater content. Land isn't worthy.

Archived