[Final Battle] "dead pls WP" vs. "sum1 rez pls"

Zacchary.6183

Since the community has yet to settle the dispute between waypointing when defeated during an event and waiting for a rez mid-event, it is finally time to figure out who is in the majority. Below will be lists showing the general arguments made for each camp. Pick one and depending on the results I will do another later.

NOTEv.2: Kay I am going to make this really simple for you folks.This poll is meant to collect data to fix a problem. It is not meant to find anything specific, like how many people want forced waypointing.SO IF YOU DISAGREE MORE THAN AGREE WITH THE FIRST STATEMENT, CHOOSE THE SECOND OPTION.

Dead please WP.

• Rezzing the dead can take one person out of a fight for 40s, 8s if there are 5 people ressing. Downed players take up to 7s regardless if they are in combat or not and can have 6 total players reviving at the same time. Also corpses tend to scale up events by taking potential DPS away. (Corpses do not help in any way. Why should we?)
  • The rezzer(s) could be downed themselves which stops the rez and could potentially put another corpse on the ground if the downed player doesn't get rezzed soon. (One corpse can lead to another.)
  • Waypoints cost ~2s, which is nothing. It also takes a minute and armor repair is free. (The penalty is really just a minute of your time.)
  • It makes it harder to rez a downed player when they are on top of a dead player. It's also the downed players fault for getting downed while trying to rez the dead in the middle of combat. (You are sometimes in the way of people who are still useful.)
  • Players should not have to stop what they are doing and pick up your slack simply because you didn't spec properly or failed to take advantage of the fight's mechanics. (Your death is your fault, not ours.)

Can I get a Rez?

• Its usually faster to rez than it is to waypoint and walk all the way back. (Time is money.)
  • The player may not have unlocked the closest waypoint to the event. (You'll screw them out of participation.)
  • The general mentality of refusing to ressing the dead is elitist at best, toxic at worst. (You are also being an ass about it.)
  • They most likely have been ressing downed/defeated players because they believe that it is the right thing to do. It would be nice to return the favor. (Reciprocation for the altruistic.)
  • They are probably new and don't know the fight. It would not be fair for them to have to try to find their way back and lose participation. (Way to represent the community, buddy. Lol)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a polarized subject. Especially if the rezzer isn't in any current danger, the time taken from DPSing the event isn't much of a sacrifice. There's also the concept that some players may have support builds or utilities to aid specifically in those situations to rez faster or more safely (my thief has no problem rezzing one or two people from death in heated situations). On the other hand, if you as a newer player have gone down, gotten rezzed, go down again and die, get another rez, get downed again and die, WPing can at the very least give you an opportunity to rethink the situation and how you approach it, give you a chance to swap utilities/gear/etc. Or if you've already caused the down/death of another player trying to rez you from dead, might as well WP to save others the trouble.

I subscribe to the school of hard-knocks though, things that are a breeze are not challenging or fun and if necessary I will drag your dead naked body through an event so everyone can experience it all.

My answer is generally, if you are all the way defeated, dead... please waypoint. Especially if there is a waypoint in close proximity.

However, there are shades of grey the poll author left out. Some events lack the urgency, and rezzing someone isn't a huge deal if you know you're not going to add to the body count or slow things down. Other events are a race against the clock and a pile of corpses on the ground is problematic.

@Seera.5916 said:It's way too situational for a two option poll. You're missing the middle ground, where sometimes it's best to WP and other times it's best to wait for a rez.

My vote is it depends on the situation.

Yes but who decides which situations is? To the question "In general, should players WP or not if dead?" The answer is a Yes or a No.

@Naxian.9823 said:

@Seera.5916 said:It's way too situational for a two option poll. You're missing the middle ground, where sometimes it's best to WP and other times it's best to wait for a rez.

Yes but who decides which situations is? To the question "
In general,
should players WP or not if dead?" The answer is a Yes or a No.

Yup.Also, though Seera and Leo have a point, it is intuitive that in some fights you are allowed to rezz ( and players do know this ).I guess the question was about a fight where you can't possibly rezz .

To make a fair example

If you are in Draconis Mon fighting the wyvern bosses and it happens that you die ( not downed ), what are you going to do?

I don't think it's much of a dispute. Its pretty well understood that the courteous thing to do is almost always to WP when you die. But what are you gonna do? We can't force people to be courteous all the time, and even though it's a bit annoying, some people really don't mind res'ing once in a while. I only get annoyed if I have to res the same fully dead person more than once or twice in a short time frame. Then I stop res'ing them.

And in case anyone is wondering, I waypoint when fully dead. I may not be too bothered by it, but I think it's reasonable enough that other people are. Better to err on the side of courtesy.

Your poll is badly worded. The first option is missing the word 'HAVE' which makes it unbalanced compared to the second option. Correct way to word it would be'players SHOULD HAVE to waypoint if they are dead'

Its general knowledge that the common courtesy is to WP if you are dead and most players prefer you to do so, but asking if they think people should be FORCED to wp is a whole different question.

@zombyturtle.5980 said:Your poll is badly worded. The first option is missing the word 'HAVE' which makes it unbalanced compared to the second option. Correct way to word it would be'players SHOULD HAVE to waypoint if they are dead'

Its general knowledge that the common courtesy is to WP if you are dead and most players prefer you to do so, but asking if they think people should be FORCED to wp is a whole different question.

The question is well worded. If you use "should have to waypoint" you are saying that the game should force the player to waypoint. If you use "should waypoint" you are saying that waypoint is the best thing the player should do, but you do not force him to do it.

...aaaand this is not the point of the poll.

@zombyturtle.5980 said:Your poll is badly worded. The first option is missing the word 'HAVE' which makes it unbalanced compared to the second option. Correct way to word it would be'players SHOULD HAVE to waypoint if they are dead'

The way they are worded is fine. The caps are for emphasis and the way they are worded is to pose them as a preference, which is what they are.

@Naxian.9823 said:

In general,

Who decides: the players at the specific event in question, including the one whose dead.

In general, it still depends on the situation. My answer was an in general answer because it's way too situational to go into detail.

@Seera.5916 said:

@Naxian.9823 said:

In general,

Who decides: the players at the specific event in question, including the one whose dead.

In general, it still depends on the situation. My answer was an in general answer because it's way too situational to go into detail.

Hence, the simplified choices.

@Zacchary.6183 said:

@Seera.5916 said:

@Naxian.9823 said:

In general,

Hence, the simplified choices.

But my answer isn't there. Even if I simply my answer to literally only one word: depends.

@Naxian.9823 said:

The question is well worded. If you use "should have to waypoint" you are saying that the game should force the player to waypoint. If you use "should waypoint" you are saying that waypoint is the best thing the player should do, but you do not force him to do it.

...aaaand this is not the point of the poll.

Well if the point of the poll is to decide if its better to res or wp then the 2nd question should be 'players should wait for res'

But the answer to that is obvious and the community already knows it. It is badly worded as it involves a leading question (uses positive language vs negative)

@Seera.5916 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:I believe in rezzing the downs, you know, helping my fellow gamer out.

I think it's elitism or autism not too.

Poll is about the fully dead, not the downed.

OK because I can't edit I'll rephrase what I mean....

I believe in rezzing the dead, you know, helping my fellow gamer out.I think it's elitism or autism not too.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Seera.5916 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:I believe in rezzing the downs, you know, helping my fellow gamer out.

I think it's elitism or autism not too.

Poll is about the fully dead, not the downed.

OK because I can't edit I'll rephrase what I mean....

I believe in rezzing the dead, you know, helping my fellow gamer out.I think it's elitism or autism not too.

But there are situations where going to the waypoint and running back is faster than being rezzed. Or way more safer for everyone involved. Or much less likely to cause the event to fail due to not having a high enough average DPS if it's a boss on a timer and not a huge zerg (rezzing reduces the DPS even more since the rezzer can't attack).

I'll rez typically if it's safe to do so, I've already got credit for the event, and the loss of my DPS won't cause the event to be at risk of failure due to a timer. And I haven't seen the player be obnoxious about getting a rez in chat.

Archived