Introducing Concept: “Daily Dungeon Path”

Abstract: Remove “Daily [insert dungeon here]” (i.e. Daily Ruined City of Arah). Instead have a specific dungeon path be a daily , in a separate category, on a 25 day rotation (to account for each dungeon path). This makes accessing dungeons easier. This makes dungeon dailies and doing dungeons daily easier. This makes dungeon frequenter feasible for non-dungeon goers. Small reward attached to Daily Dungeon Path. Should be easy to implement by Anet. Is not meant to revive dungeons, they are dead.

What is occurring now: Dungeons are dead. Though they are dead, there are still dungeon dailies in the daily system. Having this Daily Dungeon so infrequently is wrong. It makes daily achievers fail at Arah for hours on end when Daily Ruined City of Arah comes around. This puts dungeons in a bad light. The occasional and random daily dungeon does not promote dungeons, they just become daily chores. This is unacceptable.

The solution: Daily Dungeon Path. Remove the random and infrequent daily dungeon from the system. Replace it with a separate daily dungeon section. Each day, one path will be chosen as the Daily Dungeon Path. There are 25 explorable paths; 25 day rotation to account for each dungeon path (1path:1day, allpaths:25days). The reward for completing the daily dungeon path would be the regular dungeon path reward and then an additional small-daily reward (i.e. the superior rune aligned to the dungeon, dungeon token gambling, a chance at a dungeon-specific recipe!!!).

Why would this work? It adds dungeons into a daily routine, but does not need to be a chore. The additional reward would be large enough to make the path worthwhile, but small enough to be missed without any tears. It would not overfill a dungeon, just one specific path. After the third rotation, players will be (at the very least) comfortable with the different dungeon paths (save for aetherpath and arah p4), so not all parties will be trash. This will not be included with Daily Completionist. Because this rotation will repeat itself, people will learn the different dungeon paths, or at least be comfortable before the end of the third full rotation. Daily Dungeon Path gives all dungeons an equal chance at being played (arah excluded). Lastly: this makes Dungeon Frequenter a reasonable goal for players that do not commit to dungeons (7 daily dungeon paths + 1 random in a single week) and spices up Dungeon Frequenter for those who do it.

At Anet: we (me?) get that you have a lot of things to do. The implementation of this should not be difficult, as it functions similarly to the daily fractal system (except more basic and easier!). This should also reduce the “dungeons are dead” forums and complaints.

At community: this is not meant to revive dungeons. They are dead. The main source of the idea comes from a player who does arah daily and is super pissed that trash players are taking 3 hours to do arah p2 when it is a daily: and that lfg is only filled with these people (p2 should only take 30 minutes…). The Daily Dungeon Path should NOT make dungeons more or less profitable.

Thank you for your time. Please leave suggestions.

I agree, I have only played a few dungeons and have never played each path and I have never done fractals so giving me an incentive and extra rewards to do these parts of the game would probably get me to try them and invest in equip to get better at them but as is, I don't like elitists and agony costs are high without some return or reason to do these regularly.

@miracleHat.2435 said:What is occurring now: Dungeons are dead.

Are we... playing the same game? My partner and I queue up for dungeons every now and then for certain skins or whatever, and it takes no longer than 5 minutes to get enough people. Every time.

People don't need dungeon path dailies to get groups for dungeons. It's called LFG.

@SmirkDog.3160 said:

@miracleHat.2435 said:What is occurring now: Dungeons are dead.

Are we... playing the same game? My partner and I queue up for dungeons every now and then for certain skins or whatever, and it takes no longer than 5 minutes to get enough people. Every time.

People don't need dungeon path dailies to get groups for dungeons. It's called LFG.

What dungeons you and your partner do? Easy paths usually get groups quick, but try making a group for HotW p2. It take far longer than filling a party for AC p1 for exemple.

5 years in the game and I still haven't done CoF p3 and Arah p2-3-4. Mostly because it's hard to get groups to do these...

I'd be fine with this in addition to current dailies, but I don't really want newer, PvE-exclusive players to feel forced to do a dungeon path to complete their daily when they may not even be sufficient level to do so. I do agree that were this to happen they'd need to replace the current daily dungeons that sporadically show up.

I agree with RisingDusk, some review on the current state of Dungeon dailies is welcome IMO, as long as it doesn't force players to do it just for the sake of Daily Completion... Also, I kinda agree with SmirkDog, every time I post a LFG party, even for underwater HotW paths and Arah, I don't take more than 15 min to fill a group. It's a lie when people say no one does Dungeons. Many players do, and when I hit LFG it's not uncommon to find players I know doing them. Even though there are a lot of bugs in dungeons, they can be very fun and really rewarding when it comes to gold as well...

@"Rising Dusk.2408" said:I'd be fine with this in addition to current dailies, but I don't really want newer, PvE-exclusive players to feel forced to do a dungeon path to complete their daily when they may not even be sufficient level to do so. I do agree that were this to happen they'd need to replace the current daily dungeons that sporadically show up.

I specifically state that "This will not be included with Daily Completionist". It will be a standalone daily option (much like fractal dailies and expac map dailies, which do not affect daily completionist).

@Grahf.1056 said:Every time I post a LFG party, even for underwater HotW paths and Arah, I don't take more than 15 min to fill a group. It's a lie when people say no one does Dungeons.

You must be extremely lucky, as there are times when I will solo the entire path (arah p3 usually) before somebody joins my party, and soloing usually takes me 45-60 minutes. Compare this to the amount of time it takes to form a party in the raid section of the lfg at the same time/same day, "Samarog (Link KP LF 2 Chrono/Druid/CPS + 3 Weaver + 1 DH)"... While "no one does dungeons" is not strictly true, the difference in the amount of players that actively dungeon and the amount of players that actively raid is staggering (and understandable). While there are certain dungeons that fill up quicker than others, it will on average take longer than raids/fractals and the skill level and knowledge of the dungeon will be significantly lower.

@miracleHat.2435 said:You must be extremely lucky, as there are times when I will solo the entire path (arah p3 usually) before somebody joins my party, and soloing usually takes me 45-60 minutes. Compare this to the amount of time it takes to form a party in the raid section of the lfg at the same time/same day, "Samarog (Link KP LF 2 Chrono/Druid/CPS + 3 Weaver + 1 DH)"... While "no one does dungeons" is not strictly true, the difference in the amount of players that actively dungeon and the amount of players that actively raid is staggering (and understandable). While there are certain dungeons that fill up quicker than others, it will on average take longer than raids/fractals and the skill level and knowledge of the dungeon will be significantly lower.

I don't think that luck is a relevant factor since I've been doing Dungeons for quite a while (like since HoT came), but in random moments during the day, since my work schedule is really messy... However I totally agree with you when you say that:

1. The amount of players that do Dungeons is much, much lower than those that do Fractals and Raids,
  2. Some Dungeons, like AC and CM, and certain paths fill up faster than others, Arah being a good example of the later, and
  3. Those facts implicate that the awareness of skills/dungeon knowledge will be significantly lower even than Raid mechanics (which are by far harder).

Regarding whether the difference between the amount of active players in Dungeon and FotM/Raids PvE modes is understandable, I'm very sad that players are not aware that Dungeons can not only be a very fun game mode to play (I myself love HotW underwater paths and all SE paths), but also profitable when it comes to gold making (those account-bound Dungeon recipes are still a big chunk of my weekly gold profit). I really don't mind taking new GW2 players (like those that are under level 80) and teaching them the mechanics and gimmicks of Dungeon runs, and I do that frequently. This is the PvE game mode I enjoy the most, and even though ArenaNet has no present plans of improving/fixing/expanding it, I'll still play it for the sake of my own satisfaction.

@Grahf.1056 said:

1. The amount of players that do Dungeons is much, much lower than those that do Fractals and Raids,
  2. Some Dungeons, like AC and CM, and certain paths fill up faster than others, Arah being a good example of the later, and
  3. Those facts implicate that the awareness of skills/dungeon knowledge will be significantly lower even than Raid mechanics (which are by far harder).

And this is what the Daily Dungeon Path is meant to address. It should increase the amount of players actively running dungeon paths, whether they just do the one daily path or a full dungeon run. It will allow for dungeon diversity, where everyday a different dungeon would be daily (or at the very least, different path), making lfg wait times more equal overall. The 25 day rotation will be constant enough so that people will learn the different dungeon mechanics within 2-3 rotations (certain dungeons having repetitious and simpler mechanics helps).

One final note: I was doing late-night arah run. I solo'd p2 before a single person decided to enter the party. It took me ~60 minutes. If the daily dungeon path was either arah1 or arah3 or arah4, I feel confident in saying that the p2 posting would've filled in 5 minutes.

Archived