What playing through Heart of Thorns feels like....

Steven.9803

Past few days I'm starting to feel like if I am the only one who enjoyed HoT more?I do enjoy PoF too but HoT was something Completely new, with a long and quite surprising story that got me a bit more than PoF, hell I had real feelings for Trahearne.But I guess it was much more of a Hype back then, because it was the very first Expansion full of Unexpected, while with the PoF people were already expecting Mounts for months.Still great though.

@Alatar.7364 said:Past few days I'm starting to feel like if I am the only one who enjoyed HoT more?I do enjoy PoF too but HoT was something Completely new, with a long and quite surprising story that got me a bit more than PoF, hell I had real feelings for Trahearne.But I guess it was much more of a Hype back then, because it was the very first Expansion full of Unexpected, while with the PoF people were already expecting Mounts for months.Still great tho

You're definitely not alone.

Hard to make a choice. In each of PoF and HoT, there are things I dislike and things I like, with a balance rather negative for both in my case, unfortunately. HoT and PoF are not my preferred places to go. I visit them when I have a specific objective located there, like a meta event for example. Otherwise, if I simply want to explore and farm, I will prefer original Tyria and other LS areas.

Returned to the game after I stopped playing during release, so both expansions are/where new to me, havent finished PoF story yet but explored all regions, finished HoT story and regions tough.. and I prefer HoT Way more than the desert wich feels a bit boring to me, HoT's maps are amazing albieth hard to navigate before you get used to them, but are way more intricate and interesting to me... I don't get why people like PoF maps more

@Garinarbis.8952 said:I don't get why people like PoF maps more

Why ask this question when people have explained it time and again across multiple threads? It's like saying "I don't get why people like Chocolate icecream more than Strawberry", you're intentionally trying to incite a strong contrary response.

By all means, more power to you if you want to rile people up but don't feign ignorance.

The only thing I don't much like in either expansion is sometimes I feel like the mobs make it a bit more difficult to find a 'safe' spot to stop and get my bearings. I went into Maguuma today just to do the logging and the area I chose required more tactical maneuvers than I would deal with in Central Tyria. HoT is challenging, which I don't mind when it's part of the story progression, but casual traveling I much prefer the core maps, and to a slightly lesser degree, POF.

I know it's meant to be challenging, and different and that's actually good... but it doesn't mean it can't be annoying. :)

@Chamelion.9536 said:The only thing I don't much like in either expansion is sometimes I feel like the mobs make it a bit more difficult to find a 'safe' spot to stop and get my bearings. I went into Maguuma today just to do the logging and the area I chose required more tactical maneuvers than I would deal with in Central Tyria. HoT is challenging, which I don't mind when it's part of the story progression, but casual traveling I much prefer the core maps, and to a slightly lesser degree, POF.

I know it's meant to be challenging, and different and that's actually good... but it doesn't mean it can't be annoying. :)

Same, when you're high in the canopy it's fine, you can usually just glide to some branch and no mobs will reach you, but at ground level there really aren't many places to stop when I need to check my inventory or look at the map. I mean, I love both HoT and PoF maps, but they both have their ups and downs. For PoF it's much easier to find a safe spot but if a mob gets aggro on you you're done, you'll have to either kill it or run halfway across the map for it to leave you alone.

chucklesThere have definitely been times where the OP's clip was absolutely how I felt with HoT. Learning my way around Tangled Depths in the very beginning, for instance. So frustrating! But, eventually, I did figure out all the twists and turns, and tada... now the Tarzan clip fits. Go figure.

Regardless, there will be people that like Hot, but not PoF. And those like PoF, but not HoT. And those that don't give a hoot about either. And those, like me, that enjoy both, but each for their own reasons (because let's face it, they are very different from each other). To each their own.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Garinarbis.8952 said:I don't get why people like PoF maps more

Why ask this question when people have explained it time and again across multiple threads? It's like saying "I don't get why people like Chocolate icecream more than Strawberry", you're intentionally trying to incite a strong contrary response.

By all means, more power to you if you want to rile people up but don't feign ignorance.

I'm not a forum dweller so haven't read all the topics & was not my intention and was merely just writing whatever popped into my head at the time "just woke up", you are reading to much into it, but I will apologize for it, really really sorry if it seemed that way! :anguished:

@Garinarbis.8952 said:Returned to the game after I stopped playing during release, so both expansions are/where new to me, havent finished PoF story yet but explored all regions, finished HoT story and regions tough.. and I prefer HoT Way more than the desert wich feels a bit boring to me, HoT's maps are amazing albieth hard to navigate before you get used to them, but are way more intricate and interesting to me... I don't get why people like PoF maps more

Honestly, I think I can simply say that I don't like layered maps.It took me a month or so for me to get used to Black Citadel the 1st times I've been there. I used to loathe that place as I would always try to 100% the map and can't figure out which is where as it always telling me "above you" so I get up there "still above me" I get higher "it's below you""What the hell?!" Until I find out the damn place is an instance haven. After learning this, it wasn't as bad, but I still didn't like having to go back and forth through instances to get some of them.... until mounts where I can Springer right into most of them or Griffon too.

Some of the areas like Tangled Depth and Brink are just like that, but without instances but way too many layers and mazes. I'm okay with looping/mazy areas but not when I'm trying to get to a certain destination.I don't like seeing an event like 10 feet away from me on the mini map but I can't figure out how to even get there because there's a wall in front of me and the only path I see is leading me looped the opposite direction or it's sending me to a higher or lower elevation than the event which now I have to figure out "oh, I'm not even on the right path/maze/whatever.

It's not enjoyable when you're trying to actually do things.This is why me personally why before PoF 99% of the time I was on the core maps as I couldn't stand going to HoT unless it's certain metas... even Brink's metas are annoying to deal with as up to now I still don't know which helicopter goes to which canopy as they seem to never be directly above/below it. Maybe if I visited more I would get it, but it shouldn't be a memory game.When PoF came out, now I'm either on the core maps or the PoF maps.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Garinarbis.8952 said:Returned to the game after I stopped playing during release, so both expansions are/where new to me, havent finished PoF story yet but explored all regions, finished HoT story and regions tough.. and I prefer HoT Way more than the desert wich feels a bit boring to me, HoT's maps are amazing albieth hard to navigate before you get used to them, but are way more intricate and interesting to me... I don't get why people like PoF maps more

Honestly, I think I can simply say that I don't like layered maps.It took me a month or so for me to get used to Black Citadel the 1st times I've been there. I used to loathe that place as I would always try to 100% the map and can't figure out which is where as it always telling me "above you" so I get up there "still above me" I get higher "it's below you""What the hell?!" Until I find out the kitten place is an instance haven. After learning this, it wasn't as bad, but I still didn't like having to go back and forth through instances to get some of them.... until mounts where I can Springer right into most of them or Griffon too.

Some of the areas like Tangled Depth and Brink are just like that, but without instances but way too many layers and mazes. I'm okay with looping/mazy areas but not when I'm trying to get to a certain destination.I don't like seeing an event like 10 feet away from me on the mini map but I can't figure out how to even get there because there's a wall in front of me and the only path I see is leading me looped the opposite direction or it's sending me to a higher or lower elevation than the event which now I have to figure out "oh, I'm not even on the right path/maze/whatever.

It's not enjoyable when you're trying to actually do things.This is why me personally why before PoF 99% of the time I was on the core maps as I couldn't stand going to HoT unless it's certain metas... even Brink's metas are annoying to deal with as up to now I still don't know which helicopter goes to which canopy as they seem to never be directly above/below it. Maybe if I visited more I would get it, but it shouldn't be a memory game.When PoF came out, now I'm either on the core maps or the PoF maps.I just realised that eventough both expansions are new to me, it's still not the same experience as you guys had originally, due to me playing both expansions simultaneously, I do have mounts, wich should make the jungle a lot more accessible & easier than it was for you guys originally. with the addition of breaks from the jungle atmosphere to play some PoF in between,.

@Garinarbis.8952 said:I just realised that eventough both expansions are new to me, it's still not the same experience as you guys had originally, due to me playing both expansions simultaneously, I do have mounts, wich should make the jungle a lot more accessible & easier than it was for you guys originally. with the addition of breaks from the jungle atmosphere to play some PoF in between,.

Yeah, mounts are a great QoL upgrade in HoT! Especially Springer and Griffon. You can pretty easily get into the VB canopy without Choppers using Springer + Grif or some gliding, it's glorious. You can also check how Tarir looks like during the meta, when the gates are closed ^^ Spoilers: not very interesting. Easiest way to get in (inb4 they patch it by placing a bunch of invisible walls) is over the south gate. There is a tree branch you can glide to the wall from, then just springer up and you're through!

@Garinarbis.8952 said:

Honestly, I think I can simply say that I don't like layered maps.It took me a month or so for me to get used to Black Citadel the 1st times I've been there. I used to loathe that place as I would always try to 100% the map and can't figure out which is where as it always telling me "above you" so I get up there "still above me" I get higher "it's below you""What the hell?!" Until I find out the kitten place is an instance haven. After learning this, it wasn't as bad, but I still didn't like having to go back and forth through instances to get some of them.... until mounts where I can Springer right into most of them or Griffon too.

It's not enjoyable when you're trying to actually do things.This is why me personally why before PoF 99% of the time I was on the core maps as I couldn't stand going to HoT unless it's certain metas... even Brink's metas are annoying to deal with as up to now I still don't know which helicopter goes to which canopy as they seem to never be directly above/below it. Maybe if I visited more I would get it, but it shouldn't be a memory game.When PoF came out, now I'm either on the core maps or the PoF maps.I just realised that eventough both expansions are new to me, it's still not the same experience as you guys had originally, due to me playing both expansions simultaneously, I do have mounts, wich should make the jungle a lot more accessible & easier than it was for you guys originally. with the addition of breaks from the jungle atmosphere to play some PoF in between,.

Yeah. My friend got HoT about a week ago after he got all mounts that isn't Griffon and saying that while he don't like HoT as much as PoF, he find it quite fun and don't see the problem with getting around the map... while in Brink he's using springer to get to the Canopys or in Basin getting up on cliffs that used to take long alternate routes to get up there due to no bouncing mushrooms to that area and such.Or him getting access to the NE side of the map with no Leyline or Wallows matery yet... thanks to the mixture of raptor and springer.

Archived