Ryzen processors?!

Ragnarox.9601

found this

looks like this guy dont have much fps :scream:

If u pretend to get stick to this game get a decent cpu (intel K cpu version) to oc+wc

The computer i am atm, might be the only one of several amd and intel machines i got that can run gw2 smothly but its cpu is oc'ed @ 5.4GHZ

You know you've played too much GW2 and don't know skritt about computers when you thought it was some weird typing of Risen or maybe it's story related on some Asuran or something trying to convert Awakened into mindless beings to go against Joko's forces with the project being "Code Ryzen" where the processor is supposed to do something to the Awakened or something.

@Malediktus.9250 said:Get an intel i7-8700k or i5-8600k and overclock it to 5 GHz+ at least 16 GB 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram. GW2 profits a lot from high IPC, high clockspeeds and fast memory

I can confirm this. Running an i7-6700K stock clocked and I still get FPS drops (busy times in LA, Teq party, etc.). My GPU (GTX 1070) isn't maxed out, or even struggling, this game is a CPU hog when you're in any large group.

This game does not scale over 3 main threads, so keep in mind anything more than quadcore is of little benefit.

That being said Ryzen is not the best choice. This game likes strong FPU and memory bandwith ( like most CPU starved MMO's ), and thats not Ryzens strong point. Ryzen has very picky memory subsystem (likes only Samsung B-die chips), and divided L3 cache so Intel still has IPC lead. I5 or I7 with solid memory will be up to say 40% faster in GW2 than Ryzen. I have it tested I have all those systems. So far the 8700K did best of all CPU's, but notable strong ones is also old 6700, 7700 and 5775C which is very strong despite its clockspeeds thx to its 128MB of L4 cache. If you are on budget and cannot go for the best and you do not plan to overclock anything, get I5-8400.

Also, in the game, don't forget to turn off reflection, shadow on high, never maximum, and set effect LOD to ON. With that, on my overclocked system I have smooth blobfights with everything else maxed out. Ill throw my last video as example, its 60fps video so you can see how smooth the game runs:

The i5 7600 will be faster for Guild Wars 2 because it has better single-threaded performance. The AMD has more cores, but Guild Wars 2 is not able to take advantage of the two additional cores of the AMD. For workstation tasks like video encoding, the AMD will be faster, provided that the encoder uses all available processor cores.

7600 is outdated and on dead platform, 8400 or bust. Or if you are on short money, still go for Z370 and buy like I3-8100, its basically as fast as the old I5-7600 and cheaper, and you will need the Z370 for faster memory support + better future upgrades.

Skylake- architecture based CPU's are very memory bottlenecked in games, CPU running at 4Ghz with 3,2Ghz memory will get higher FPS than CPU overclocked to 5Ghz but with slow 2,4Ghz memory.

@Aeolus.3615 said:found this

If u pretend to get stick to this game get a decent cpu (intel K cpu version) to oc+wc

The computer i am atm, might be the only one of several amd and intel machines i got that can run gw2 smothly but its cpu is oc'ed @ 5.4GHZ

That video was max settings on a crowded teq. The grand majority of computers will do poorly.

The real choices are R5 1600 and I5-8400 or 8600k (if you have more money).

@Ragnarox.9601 said:Well I ask cause my dilemma is i5 7600 or ryzen 5 1600. :/ They cost the same and I dont know what to buy, intel was always better in gaming but I dont want to go to amd and have kitten performances in other games too.

The i5-7600 will do a bit better in Gw2.... but

I think you should go with R5, unless you plan to only play Gw2 on that computer, and IMO it makes little sense to spend so much money (and also on a nice video card) to just play Gw2. Better off picking a more future proof option than one on a dead platform.

Gw2 is very badly optimized and a lot of the trouble comes from limitations of the engine and server rather than something wrong with people's computers. Basically, anything modern can easily run Gw2 and have like most of the performance already and the benefits beyond that are incredibly marginal.

Also the Ryzen can overclocked, the 7600 can't.

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

That video was max settings on a crowded teq. The grand majority of computers will do poorly.

The real choices are R5 1600 and I5-8400 or 8600k (if you have more money). i5-7600 shouldn't even be a choice, unless you only plan on playing Gw2, and it wouldn't even be that much better.

i dont recall teq event being that heavy.... still 1 only did it once after the event trampolines update and bailled out of that thing.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

The real choices are R5 1600 and I5-8400 or 8600k (if you have more money). i5-7600 shouldn't even be a choice, unless you only plan on playing Gw2, and it wouldn't even be that much better.

i dont recall teq event being that heavy.... still 1 only did it once after the event trampolines update and bailled out of that thing.

Me neither. But I tried it myself with max settings, and had like 20 fps. (i5-6500), so I'm guessing it really doesn't matter what you have. So in a way that test doesn't really tell us anything.

Coffee lake still best choice but those z370 motherboards are quite pricey.

They are not really pricey and there is no reason to wait for anything. The only thing you gain by waiting is cheaper chipsets and board, but those will not support faster memory than 2667Mhz, and as I mentioned before you want as fast memory for those CPU's as possible. + Even the cheapest Z370 boards are pretty good. Watch:

I use the ASRock Z370 PRO4 myself and cant say anything bad about it.

@Miyafuji.1340 said:They are not really pricey and there is no reason to wait for anything. The only thing you gain by waiting is cheaper chipsets and board, but those will not support faster memory than 2667Mhz, and as I mentioned before you want as fast memory for those CPU's as possible. + Even the cheapest Z370 boards are pretty good. Watch:

I use the ASRock Z370 PRO4 myself and cant say anything bad about it.Pff whats money anyway? I just got a Maximus X for my 8700K with 3600mhz C15 ram and a 512gb 960Pro nvme drive.

My wallet is only slightly whimpering.

Well it largely depends on what you do with the PC. If you are just playing Gw2 and nothing else the i5 will be a better choice (and for many games in general). Intel has better single threaded performance that GW2 likes a lot. That being said is it GW2. Even the best processor money can buy will have poor performance on zergs.

R5 has more cores so anything that can use them will be better. Streaming, video encoding, having multiple browser tabs at the same time as while you game, game engines that can actually use the extra cores (like frostbite based games). All these will be better with the Ryzen CPU.

So its your call depending on what you do with your PC.

Coming from a phenom you can bet though that with either CPUs you will can a pretty good bump on your FPS.

One extra advantage with the Ryzen is also the fact that it is expected that the socket will not change for the next two ryzen generation. So if you later want to go for a gen 2 or 3 Ryzen you will not have to change your motherboard and RAM.

In have a RX-470 gpu and it easily maxes GW2 graphic prettiness, so the 1060 would be fine.

Regarding CPU if your spending that sort of money I would always go for a 6-core, as the games market is moving in that direction and you should expect a CPU to last at least 6 years. If you want to cover yourself for GW2 then the 1600x is a consideration - at very little additional cost - as the first two cores will automatically turbo up with a game like GW2 with OCing being near pointless.

The main problem with buying a PC atm is memory costs which are sky high (way above CPU cost differences) - GW2 gains nothing from 16GB rather than 8GB sized RAM memory.

Frankly if you have a 60hz monitor a Ryzen 1600 + 1060 will easily get you 60Hz on max settings with a lot of room to spare.

Also note that GW2 was tuned for Haswell Intel processors and the business market is starting to dump their Haswell PCs into the second-hand market. There are some krazy deals out there if you are prepared to re-factor the business PC into a more roomy desktop case. Frankly with GW2 you will be hard pushed to notice the difference if your riding a Haswell compared recent mid-range CPUs if your using a recent GPU, and the cost saving would be huge - example business PC with 120gb SDD, Win 7 and i5 4590 plus 4GB Ram --> £125(ebay, 20 of) plus a recent £250 GPU, recent cheapest mid range PC is around £600 to £800. OK the Haswell might not last you another 6 years, but in 2 years time the 'recent' PC will be 10 to 20% faster and hopefully the price of other components (memory and GPU) will have stabilised downward. Also no business overclocks there PCs and generally the only thing that has been running on them for the last 6 years has been MS Outlook + Office. You could flog your Haswell in two years time for say half the original cost and retain the GPU for your new bight shiny Zen 2 system (BTW currently I would say a RX 560 will max GW2 graphic prettiness on a 60Hz monitor).

Seriously the current crop of PC componets are way in advance of the games available if your doing 1080p 60Hz, there is around a 2 to 3 year lag.

Buying a new PC atm means you're buying at the top of the market imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought i5 7500....whoa...I dont have lags in big blobs, and everything on very high/ultra i have 35+ fps...but I dont have 1060gtx yet, so my 650ti is bottlenecking my processor.....what a huge difference, playing on medium with amd and now everything on max.....like different game.

with 1060 I think i will have 60 fps everywhere on ultra

Archived