Builds for Scepter/Dagger Elly in stonghold?

TheQuickFox.3826

Are there any usable builds out there for Scepter/Dagger Ele in PvP?

3HkNlYg.jpgI'm currently running Fire/Water/Tempest (Berserker rune, Celestial amulet) and like the jack-of-all trades elements of this build. Damage using fire and burning, healing using water, survivability using celestial stats. But in reality this is mostly theory.

In reality, I do mediocre damage, get oneshotted by high-damage professions before I can react. I can die in 1.5 seconds, so even if I could double my health, I still die in 3 seconds. :astonished:

Is there any way to get something good out of Scepter/Dagger as Elly? I prefer some versatility with some dps, healing and defense.

Scepter ele only works in PvP using Fresh Air build. You take Air line 2-2-2, the grandmaster trait Fresh Air resets air attunment cd when u crit, so you start in air use auto attack + 2 + 3, then switch to fire use ur big skills quickly then straight back to air. and so on and so forth with other attunments and back to air. Everytime you attune to air it procs a lightning (2nd minor trait in air). Takes a bit of time to get used to so watch some vids to see how it looks.

This is a high dps (sustain or bursty depends how you play it), pretty squishy but very strong and quite fun.

air 2-2-2, arcane 1/2-3-2, and either water 1-2-1 for standard build or weaver 1/3-2-1 for extra dmg/style pointsMarauder amulet, Scepter/Focus, Scholar runes, lightning flash, arcane blast, arcane shield. Heal either Glyph or Ether Renewl depends what u like.

Thank you. I hoped for some Scepter/Dagger advice, but I will try Scepter/Focus. I hope to still have enough damage there because the two dagger attacks are quite potent.

@NotASmurf.1725 said:Why don't you ask the PvE sub for Stronghold advice?

Why do you want me to do that? I don't need PvE advice, I have troubles in PvP stronghold.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Why do you want me to do that? I don't need PvE advice, I have troubles in PvP stronghold.

Quaggan thinks some people running in circles believe running is circles is what PvP should be, and Stronhold which is far closer to GW1 PvP (GvG) is PvE for them. It's a bit funny for Quaggan, because they don't mind PvE objectives in Conquest like Beasts, Lord, claimable buffs etc. Quaggan will never understand why Anet won't focus on making Stronghold great again and ditch Conquest completly... but Quaggan is just Quaggan.

@Morwath.9817 said:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Quaggan thinks some people running in circles believe running is circles is what PvP should be, and Stronhold which is far closer to GW1 PvP (GvG) is PvE for them. It's a bit funny for Quaggan, because they don't mind PvE objectives in Conquest like Beasts, Lord, claimable buffs etc. Quaggan will never understand why Anet won't focus on making Stronghold great again and ditch Conquest completly... but Quaggan is just Quaggan.

Thanks for the explanation, You are a nice Quaggan. Considering this: I have no troubles with the PvE elements of stronghold. I blast through guards and the lord without issues and can defend/heal as well. It is just the high damage enemy players (PvP elements) that gives me issues.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

@Morwath.9817 said:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Thanks for the explanation, You are a nice Quaggan. Considering this: I have no troubles with the PvE elements of stronghold. I blast through guards and the lord without issues and can defend/heal as well. It is just the high damage enemy players (PvP elements) that gives me issues.

Well, then Quaggan would suggest Dagger/Focus and Earth instead of Fire.

@Morwath.9817 said:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

‘running in circles’ is a complete misrepresentation of domination (the gammode conquest is based on). it’s about fighting other players for control over objectives under time pressure. the side objectives are not present in every map, & do not define the gamemode. plus, only two maps actually have npcs to kill- the rest just have side objectives, which are not the same as fighting an npc. they are there to force teams to make difficult rotational choices. furthermore, a lot of conquest players are not a fan of mechanics like lord, & would like them toned down or removed.

stronghold on the other hand, is about summoning npcs so you can kill an npc. like thats it. it’s all about killing an npc first.

like, compare Eternal Coliseum to stronghold. one has a ton of npcs, & the whole gamemode is focused on summoning, killing, & supporting npcs. the other is about fighting players over objectives, & has no npcs at all. it’s not difficult to see which mode is more focused on player vs player.

also, stronghold was reviled by the competitive community when it was introduced. no one liked the gamemode bar a few people. it’s extremely unpopular, & badly designed. it’s just a bad moba clone.

@choovanski.5462 said:

@Morwath.9817 said:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

‘running in circles’ is a complete misrepresentation of domination (the gammode conquest is based on). it’s about fighting other players for control over objectives under time pressure. the side objectives are not present in every map, & do not define the gamemode. plus, only two maps actually have npcs to kill- the rest just have side objectives, which are not the same as fighting an npc. they are there to force teams to make difficult rotational choices. furthermore, a lot of conquest players are not a fan of mechanics like lord, & would like them toned down or removed.

stronghold on the other hand, is about summoning npcs so you can kill an npc. like thats it. it’s all about killing an npc first.

like, compare Eternal Coliseum to stronghold. one has a ton of npcs, & the whole gamemode is focused on summoning, killing, & supporting npcs. the other is about fighting players over objectives, & has no npcs at all. it’s not difficult to see which mode is more focused on player vs player.

also, stronghold was reviled by the competitive community when it was introduced. no one liked the gamemode bar a few people. it’s extremely unpopular, & badly designed. it’s just a bad moba clone.

Quaggan disagrees, conquest is far from domination, it's more about standing in circles and not dying than actualy killing your enemies. Quaggan remembers when two NA teams played Chronobunkers comps and when one of teams capped 1st circle, other team just ragequit. It sums game mode pretty well. Quaggan would also like to point that decapper role of Thief in "competitive play" is far from "fightning other players", even if Thief is doing also +1 role.

Quaggan also don't know who so called "competitive community" is, are they equal to "competitive" conquest tournament teams , if so there are used to be like 3-4 truly "competitive teams" in times when Quaggan followed #espurtz (so about 20 non-Quaggans in total), but as far as Quaggan remembers, Chaith for example enjoyed Stronghold, is he part of "competitive community"? Quaggan doesn't knows! Help Quaggan and explain stuff to Quaggan!

Quaggan believes that Stronghold is unpopular, because Anet doesn't support it anymore. No more maps, no real tweaks, no balance patches for mode etc.Quaggan is saaaad.

@Morwath.9817 said:Quaggan disagrees, conquest is far from domination

absolutely incorrect. i’m guessing you actually don’t know what domination is. let’s go with perhaps the most popular representation of that gamemode, unreal tournament. here is how their wiki describes the gamemode "Each team must locate and capture certain points in a Domination map. The more locations a team controls, the faster their score increases.” wow, hot dang looks a lot like conquest. yeah sure, it’s not a carbon copy, but the gamemode is evidently an adaptation of domination. team fortress 2 also has a capture point mode that is based on domination too, & works a ton like conquest.

so you’re wrong there.

it's more about standing in circles and not dying than actualy killing your enemies. Quaggan remembers when two NA teams played Chronobunkers comps and when one of teams capped 1st circle, other team just ragequit. It sums game mode pretty well. Quaggan would also like to point that decapper role of Thief in "competitive play" is far from "fightning other players", even if Thief is doing also +1 role.

wow. terrible argument here. extreme cherry picking.

the fact that we had one meta with a broken bunker build does not mean that conquest is not about killing your enemies. the existence of chronobunker, & the fact that it was widely considered toxic for the gamemode (as well as it being nerfed out of existence) actually supports the fact that conquest is about killing players. here’s why, if a build that is unkillable is toxic to a gamemode it logically follows that that gamemode is at least in part about killing players. otherwise, how would an unkillable build be toxic?

furthermore the chronobunker meta is only one of many metas, all others being about killing players. your example is irrelevant now, & was irrelevant for nearly all of gw2 pvp. you’re obviously cherry picking & it does not become you.

ah, & now the thief. once again your example actually proves your point wrong, thanks for that.how you can think that +1 is not fighting other players is beyond me, it’s literally killing a player. it’s literally fighting a player. sure thief also decaps, but they +1 & are involved in teamfight spikes. so their role is spilit between fighting players & getting objectives. sounds a heck of a lot more pvp than killing doorbreakers.also, thief is actually only one of 9 classes. the other 8 are all focused on fighting other players over the objectives. the fact that you can only give examples of one class having a role that is not 100% focussed on fighting players shows how weak your argument is.

conversely in stronghold the whole gamemode is about npcs. every player is focused on killing or protecting npcs. not one of 9 classes, all classes, all players are npc focussed.

Quaggan also don't know who so called "competitive community" is, are they equal to "competitive" conquest tournament teams , if so there are used to be like 3-4 truly "competitive teams" in times when Quaggan followed #espurtz (so about 20 non-Quaggans in total), but as far as Quaggan remembers, Chaith for example enjoyed Stronghold, is he part of "competitive community"? Quaggan doesn't knows! Help Quaggan and explain stuff to Quaggan!

the competitive community is mostly gone these days. they were the tournament scene, both in EU & NA. over here in EU stronghold has never been loved by the competitive players. it never even gained enough interest to get tournaments after the initial HoT push. sure maybe Chaith liked it when HoT came out, but he never streams or talks about it. regardless he is one person in what was quite a large community, so he’s evidently in the minority- even if he still likes stronghold, which i doubt.

bluntly, the gamemode was not well received by anyone but pve reward track farmers. there is a reason it’s not streamed, not played, & barely talked about. hardly anyone likes it.

Quaggan believes that Stronghold is unpopular, because Anet doesn't support it anymore. No more maps, no real tweaks, no balance patches for mode etc.Quaggan is saaaad.

once again, awful argument.

what you’re saying is ‘if anet patched stronghold to make it good it would be good’. well obviously dude, it’s very easy to imagine something bad being changed to something good. but what that means in reality is the thing you have to imagine being good is actually just bad, why else would you have to imagine it being good? if it was actually a good gamemode, instead of a bad moba clone you wouldn’t need to use your imagination to make it good- it would be good already.

so there, boom. thats me calling you wrong. hope it's on fleek, hope I got my style on

i’m sure you’re going to cook up another hot post, but i’m not hungry anymore. so don’t expect a response

Capture points are there to give a reason to engage in combat, and if you are losing the fight for it it's better to give up the cullcap, heal up, and try again. Only elohell players play it by "standing in circles forever".

Stronghold is like a PvE map where PvP is enabled. Sure, you can mess around attacking others for fun, but playing the main objective (the PvE events) is how you win.

The season 1 bunker meta is a different tale. Since almost everyone was a bunker there was no way anyone would be forced offpoint or killed in 1v1 and in teamfights if someone had to leave the cap anyone else could just sub in without punishment so fights never ended.

Worst part wasn't even the bunkering, but the quickness rez from chrono making it impossible to stomp or cleave even if someone went down, and that was 100% a balance issue and not the gamemode's fault.

@choovanski.5462 said:

@Morwath.9817 said:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Ask yourself why is really "hated"...if we want to be frank, the base idea of stronghold offers far greater/skillful gameplay than conquest where the biggest/baddest zerg with the biggest aoe output wins the day, if we then talk about the implementation then I can agree with you that stronghold is bad

Archived