How do you climb out of gold?

MichalAniol.5807

Hi,Question in the title. I wonder what am I doing wrong since I'm stuck in gold 3 every last season with no sign of improvement over the time. I main guard and thief in pvp (guard I'm familiar the most). I played bunker builds, condi builds, power builds and nothing seems to help. I try my best at cap, decap, +1 the fights. Still I end up in blowouts - I win some but most of my time I'm on the loosing side. I'm loosing hope for any improvement so I just farm chests, cause that's the only thing I could do. It's frustrating to see (or should I say - NOT seeing) any sign of improve on my side. What else can I do except duo with some pro (which I don't know any). Due to work I don't have much time to play anyway so I guess one point is there but I have other things in life to. I just wish I could be better.

On the other hand the quality of matches is... well, mixed. I can see full condi enemy teams that apply insane stacks of conditions in a blink of an eye, tons of interrupts thrown in between then just a death screen.

So, any advice?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't have to Duo with Pro, just duo with someone you know, so you can be sure there is one less person to worry about. You and your Duo will be more used to rotations you should do with with your respective Comp. and rotation is the key to win. Really no need for a Pro.

Also you could try to watch some streamers, how they play and why, because you never know what you don't know yet. There might still be a room to improve.

Might as well try following the General rule of Rank PvP: "Lost more that twice in a row?" Then nope the hell away for the rest of the day

By the way T3 Gold is worse than Ectogamble, there might as well be no problem at your side at all.

@jul.7602 said:lol you don't need a stream. Go make a bunker rev, (see metabattle) and you will be in plat in about 2-3 days.

I was considering that for two reasons - I rarely played revenant in pvp and I saw healing builds in pve (yeah I know) interesting, wondering how would it work in pvp. Second - playing as kind of support or bunker fits my style. I know it's seen as OP latelty but that's not the reason.

@MichalAniol.5807 said:Well, pretty much both - like you said, there can be stil something I don't know. I play guard mostly so maybe guard streamers? I don't know any.

Well, you got me a bit in a corner there. I don't know any Guard streamers, however you said you play Thief as well, right?Sindrenerr has a nice and useful commentary during his gameplay, try to google his Twitch up as I can't reliably link Twitch links at the moment

For General PvP try -> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/home/leaving?target=https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC0IC9msN2_P6yn9zv2G6JOg

EDIT: As was so Elegantly mentioned above my post - you could also check Metabattle for builds that work for Everyone

@Alatar.7364 said:EDIT: As was so Elegantly mentioned above my post - you could also check Metabattle for builds that work for Everyone

I am playing metabattle builds but I guess my lack of improvement comes from other things like rotations maybe? Idk. Playing for some time should give me at least some general skill at least?

@MichalAniol.5807 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:EDIT: As was so Elegantly mentioned above my post - you could also check Metabattle for builds that work for Everyone

I am playing metabattle builds but I guess my lack of improvement comes from other things like rotations maybe? Idk. Playing for some time should give me at least some general skill at least?

Only playing for some time gives you general skil.You will learn the most if you Fail and Fail and Fail again till you Fail no more.

@MichalAniol.5807 said:

@Greymarch.3291 said:d4 to a d10.

Uhm, can you explain the shortcut?

You see, the dice rolls must be failing so you need to increase that climbing skill and your overall strength attribute. There fore increasing your climbing skill first as stated in the savage world's rulebook as dictates.

You do not need to duo to get into plat. I climbed from mid gold to low plat and am near mid plat at current, this was done solo. If you are playing solo you want to play a build that can carry team fights. So anything with good AoE damage and self sustain, but also supplies your allies with some sort of support. If you can carry a team fight and your team can hold its home then you're more than likely going to win.

Honestly work on your rotations and 1v1 skills.

If you can get to a point where you can 1v1 and win against 80% of the people you face & have good rotations you'll start to climb out of gold.

If you are on thief you have to win thief v thief, v necro, v revs, v warrior and be able to kill their ele when you get to the point. Make sure you can identify the proper target to drop upon arrival at a point.

I managed to end up in silver after placements due to a number of reasons. (Was legendary prior) I managed to climb to high plat within two days by just putting yourself in unfavored matchups. As a DH, there are few matchups you're supposed to actually be able to kill. Nonetheless you can decap just about any other build out there.

1; I always put myself in 1v2s if possible. Kite enemies and as soon as one of them leaves, just go in for the decap.2; Enemy team has only 1 sustain? Go 1v1 it, make sure they lose every other fight.3; If you feel comfortable actually winning most 1v1s, go for it. Stagger enemy deaths because very few people actually regroup in gold / plat.4; DuoQ with a either a roamer or a bruiser. Try playing the Radiant Hammer build and either run around with your thief duoQ and just slamjam your way to victory or +1ing your bruisers.5; Stay positive. I can't stress this enough. If you're starting to get tilted, don't keep on queing.

Gold is a mixed bag of...well I don't know what exactly to call it.

I guess it's people a little more mechanically sound than bronze/silver, but there are so many basics I've seen people in Gold just not do such as being on a team with multiple people that can grant swiftness to the whole team out of the gate and nobody doing it

Wait until they disable duo queuing too. Then until they lock professions so people can't switch at the start of the match and so individual profession skill can be used for matchmaking. And so there's a system that deals with AFKers so those matches stop counting. And then until they properly slow down the rythm of the game to be less about spam, stacking and bursting and more about tactics and reaction.

Once that's out of the way, anyone who truly deserves getting out of Gold will get out of Gold, instead mostly the ones who go around exploiting the flaws of the system while deluding themselves into thinking that's what 'getting good' is.

It is unfortunate there's no better solution, but sometimes all you can do is voicing your concerns and wait.

@Loop.8106 said:

2; Enemy team has only 1 sustain? Go 1v1 it, make sure they lose every other fight.Gonna try this.4; DuoQ with a either a roamer or a bruiser. Try playing the Radiant Hammer build and either run around with your thief duoQ and just slamjam your way to victory or +1ing your bruisers.I tried that build and oh boy, how much I needed that! Quick, effective and fun to play with core guard instead of traps.5; Stay positive. I can't stress this enough. If you're starting to get tilted, don't keep on queing.Staying positive is the hardest I guess. I haven't fully learned how to accept a loss but I'm doing my best. It's just too hard sometimes to keep this way when the only thing you get is lost match after the other. Makes me think about why the hell I even try this game mode.

Duo... for thief watch sindrener... only play a few matches a day. Many of the plat and legendary players I've spoken with have a rule that if they lose two matches, they are done for at least a few hours (most will give it a day). Some days you're just not "on".

Also as a thief...don't be afraid to disengage. You're squishy. Even if all your stats are set for toughness and vitality... you are squishy. Sometimes winning a match is just a game of avoiding being squished long enough for them to overextend.

Also, don't try not to get tilted when you lose (I struggle with this sometimes).. sometimes even in gold you'll get put against the number 1 ranked player... just gotta deal with it. Try to divorce yourself from the toxicity, particularly if it's coming from your own team. Particularly on thief if people are not winning you're the easiest mark to blame because chances are even if you carry the team you're not going to have all the top stats because a still thief is a dead thief. Just focus on you and help out where you can. People will say "never 1 v 1" or "you must ALWAYS decap" (even if the point is being camped by a bunker that counters your playstyle hard). Forget them, you play you. If a player is camping a point, go help on mid.... turn the numbers against the other team.

For guardian... hardest thing is to stay aware of the map. It's tempting to run over, and over, and over to mid...but honestly... if your team can't take it...STAWP... look at where the other team is absent. If they've got 4-5 on mid...they are leaving something open. Resist the temptation to run into a 4v1 situation repeatedly... you've got sustain, but not THAT much sustain. If nothing else wait for your team.

Which applies to all classes.... work with your team. Don't be the engi or guard or even ventari rev who says "don't come to the point I'm on...i'm gonna hold it all by myself". I don't care how good you are, you hurt your entire team doing it. When you become the unmoving bunker that people avoid, your teammates are always going to be outnumbered and that ends badly. Or worse, you die again and again and again but keep running to the same point facing the same ending because you're too stubborn to realize that hey...maybe running into a wall repeatedly isn't a good idea.

Have a character ready that can rotate/decap/+1, one that can bunker/power rez, one that can boon strip/corrupt like crazy, and one that can team fight like a beast.

Swap to whichever of those your team seems weakest on/best counters the other team's comp before the game starts... I feel like more games are lost in solo queue from your team having a bad or ineffective composition than are from you just getting flat outplayed (although that CAN happen; it's not really something you can actively control).

If you're queueing as a duo, obviously that's two people making sure proper roles are being taken... Although I think it does make you queue at a higher MMR--BUT, if all you want to do is climb, that's actually a good thing.

Archived