Holosmith: Should Heat Generate Passively?

Omnicron.2467

Been playing a lot more Holo recently. I find the class a lot of fun and I enjoy it for a numbr of reasons.

I was just thinking about how heat works, that it is a kind of a rescource which you spend every time you use a holo-mode skill. The fact that you also passively generate heat makes it a timer as well. This feels like overkill. It should be either-or, not both imo. It would make heat manageent a lot easier! I cannot roam from one mob to the next without generating a fair amount of heat, so would prefer if heat was only generated on skill use.

I think there was a similar thread about how heat as a resource should be reworked?

Yeah passive heat generation isn't really much at all IMO, unless someone has put the time into a bunch of side by side tests and can convince me otherwise. I don't feel like you could get off more than one or two auto attack hits (hits, not the whole chain) with PBM if there were no passive heat gen.

It seems mainly as a mechanism to limit chances for cheesing the entire spec by camping PF. I can imagine that would introduce some shenanigans.

@Vagrant.7206 said:Honestly, passive heat generation is pretty slow. It primarily seems to be a method to keep people from pulling up to the 99% (or 149%) mark every time, or entering PF when at 90% (or 140%) to top off.

Why is that a problem? They're choosing not to use skills, or at least to avoid using skill 5, in order to top it off. They also flirting with dealing like 8k damage to themselves if they screw up.

@Unholy Pillager.3791 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:Honestly, passive heat generation is pretty slow. It primarily seems to be a method to keep people from pulling up to the 99% (or 149%) mark every time, or entering PF when at 90% (or 140%) to top off.

Why is that a problem? They're choosing not to use skills, or at least to avoid using skill 5, in order to top it off. They also flirting with dealing like 8k damage to themselves if they screw up.

I don't actually have a problem with it, but ArenaNet seems to. It might be related to ECSU -- if you keep topping it off, you'll stay near 25 might permanently.

@Unholy Pillager.3791 said:

....... In a vacuum

The reason for the passive generation is to account for the traits Adept trait line, which offer benefits while in PF, and to ensure Heat is moving upward. This is to reduce the cheese potential of Photonic Blasting Module, camping the forge mode to fire utilities, and reinforce the 6 second disable timer as an actual risk for overheat.

Archived