characters for names — Guild Wars 2 Forums

characters for names

To start, i am talking about keyboard characters.

So what i like to suggest is to be able to use some of the keyboard characters in our names, like the apostrophe or the single quote.
I like to make a character that's called shac'naron, a name that fits an Egyptian character yet we can't use that.

It is a small thing i know, but such a small thing can make the difference.

Comments

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    There's been a few topics asking for extra characters to be allowed, particularly an apostrophe, hyphen and more letters with accents.

    I don't have trouble coming up with character names but I'd love to be able to use apostrophes and hyphens as it would open up a lot more options. Even if it was restricted to 1 per name to stop people making something that looks a complete mess.

    "Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

  • You already can, just look up ALT letters. There's a few you can't but there's usually enough to make most even some difficult names.

  • Ayumi Spender.1082Ayumi Spender.1082 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921 said:
    You already can, just look up ALT letters. There's a few you can't but there's usually enough to make most even some difficult names.

    Not even close to the same thing. Especially when what you're suggesting is like when I see people named like Stévén Spiélbérg or something which while when you see the name it's recognizable on what you're aiming for, but Steven and Stévén are completely different sounding when spoken.

    But yes, I would like some apostrophes added for one specific Norn design I would like to make.

  • Agreed there is some punctuation missing, but that's actually by design. Originally Anet wouldn't even allow ALT letters. It has to do with preventing in-game advertising.

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921 said:
    Agreed there is some punctuation missing, but that's actually by design. Originally Anet wouldn't even allow ALT letters. It has to do with preventing in-game advertising.

    How does that help prevent advertising?

    "Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

  • Ayumi Spender.1082Ayumi Spender.1082 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921 said:
    Agreed there is some punctuation missing, but that's actually by design. Originally Anet wouldn't even allow ALT letters. It has to do with preventing in-game advertising.

    I've literally saw someone named "The Legend Of Zelda" before. I'm not too sure how this would prevent in-game advertising.
    While one thing I would've liked was the period for middle names (one of my characters has one), but I can see let's say you add it and people started calling themselves "Smellybob.com" or something to make people do their site or whatever.

  • It's a little ironic that the president of the company can't name their character Mike O'Brienand that none of the millennials working at ANet can use their hyphenated surnames (assuming they wanted to).

    I'd certainly like this feature. I'm not sure it's worth the effort it might take to change the various in-game mechanics that might depend on the fact that names use Title Case, no apostrophes, and no hyphens or dashes.

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • Just what we need. Characters called .-,__,-. or ( . ) _ ( . ) or perhaps !!!!!!

  • Cuddy.6247Cuddy.6247 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

    @Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921 said:
    You already can, just look up ALT letters. There's a few you can't but there's usually enough to make most even some difficult names.

    Not even close to the same thing. Especially when what you're suggesting is like when I see people named like Stévén Spiélbérg or something which while when you see the name it's recognizable on what you're aiming for, but Steven and Stévén are completely different sounding when spoken.

    But yes, I would like some apostrophes added for one specific Norn design I would like to make.

    I just said Stévén out loud and I couldn't stop laughing at how stupid I sounded.

  • Aenaos.8160Aenaos.8160 Member ✭✭✭

    Yep.
    I need to name my char 'Odor,and atm I can't.

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2017

    @penelopehannibal.8947 said:
    Just what we need. Characters called .-,__,-. or ( . ) _ ( . ) or perhaps !!!!!!

    As I said in my first post that could easily be prevented by restricting it to 1 punctuation mark per name.

    Elder Scrolls Online does this. They pretty much had to allow apostrophes and hyphens or people would be unable to use a lot of lore-appropriate names. If I remember correctly their rules are something like:

    • Name must start with a letter
    • Cannot end with a space
    • Only 4 spaces, hyphens or apostrophes in total
    • No adjacent punctuation

    So you could call your character Sarah-Jane D'Lessia or Runs-with-Scissors but not O M G D'e'a't'h-k-n-i-g-h-t... or whatever.

    "Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

  • Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018

    How is O M G D'e'a't'h-k-n-i-g-h-t any worse than O M G D E A T H K N I G H T? They both look like unimaginative calls for attention, to me. No matter what the policy is, people are going to come up with names that look ugly or offputting to some of us. If ANet offers name-appropriate punctuation marks, I'm sure they would also limit usage to a reasonable amount.

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • @Ayumi Spender.1082 said:
    I've literally saw someone named "The Legend Of Zelda" before. I'm not too sure how this would prevent in-game advertising.
    While one thing I would've liked was the period for middle names (one of my characters has one), but I can see let's say you add it and people started calling themselves "Smellybob.com" or something to make people do their site or whatever.

    Actually the period isn't necessary for a middle name first letter works just fine, that is how credit cards write the name.

  • Ayumi Spender.1082Ayumi Spender.1082 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921 said:

    @Ayumi Spender.1082 said:
    I've literally saw someone named "The Legend Of Zelda" before. I'm not too sure how this would prevent in-game advertising.
    While one thing I would've liked was the period for middle names (one of my characters has one), but I can see let's say you add it and people started calling themselves "Smellybob.com" or something to make people do their site or whatever.

    Actually the period isn't necessary for a middle name first letter works just fine, that is how credit cards write the name.

    Guess so, but one of my characters is "Ayumi A Spender" which looks like I'm "a spender" than that being the middle name.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.