Is there any benefit to having both commander tags? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Is there any benefit to having both commander tags?

I'm planning to buy my first commander tag soon(ish) and I specifically want to get the catmander tag because I prefer the icons.

I know the catmander tag is 150g cheaper if you buy the regular one first, which makes me think maybe I should do it that way, just in case I ever want to use the normal tag, but I'm not sure how likely that is. Is there any benefit to having both, other than more icons to choose from?

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

Comments

  • nope not really worth much to even begin with oh you might get a speed boost or something if i remember right. but otherwise no myself i tend to block people with these tags . even more so when they go off on map chat . they get blocked . but will say with the catmander tag i think that is the only one you get more colors from

  • Also, the discount works both ways, so you should just get whichever tag you want first. Even if you get catmander, the regular one will be reduced to 150 and vice versa.

    Permanently Embiggened

  • RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:
    nope not really worth much to even begin with oh you might get a speed boost or something if i remember right. but otherwise no myself i tend to block people with these tags . even more so when they go off on map chat . they get blocked . but will say with the catmander tag i think that is the only one you get more colors from

    No speed boost that I know of, and you get the same colors for both Catmander and the normal Commander tag (even if you just have one of them and not both).

    Oh look. I have a signature now.

  • Galmac.4680Galmac.4680 Member ✭✭✭

    At least the commander tag is useful in PvE too... if a guild searches for a guild bounty (guild missions) and you find it by random, you can tag up and lead them to your position. Or lead guild missions in your own if you have the rights for that in your guild.

    Praise Joko!

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

    I have put a lot of thought into this. I've been playing since launch and never bought a tag before because I wasn't sure I'd use it enough. (And when they were about to got from 100g to 300g and everyone was buying them 'just in case' I'd just bought a precursor and had literally no money.)

    But I've increasingly found myself in situations where a commander would be helpful (Dragon's Stand, Silverwastes, guild events, Mad Kings Labyrinth etc.) but no one else around has one or is willing to use it and I know where to go and what to do but I don't have the tag. I've been making do with a mentor tag but it's really not the same as having the full functionality, especially being able to place markers and have a dedicated chat channel for your group.

    @Cuon Alpinus.7645 said:
    Also, the discount works both ways, so you should just get whichever tag you want first. Even if you get catmander, the regular one will be reduced to 150 and vice versa.

    Oh cool, I didn't realise that. That makes it easy then, I'll get the catmander tag and if I ever want the regular one I can buy it later. :)

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

  • Catmander @Danikat.8537
    Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? :)

    Gz on making a decision. I imagine you'll find a way to enjoy having it, even if just for fun.

    "With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dreamy Lu.3865 said:
    Kind recommendation: Buy the tag only if you really intend to do the commander job, because you know what it means for a "work" and you would love to do it. This is quite an amount of money for an icon and if you do not really use it after that, you will feel like you wasted the gold.

    I heard this feedback from several players already, regretting they bought it, because they get no fun at doing commander so they never use it.

    Generally, a tag does not acknowledge a level of performances and it is also not meant to be a decoration. It is "only" a marking for someone taking a responsibility toward other players and it can be quite a burden at times. A very good player does not necessarily makes a good commander. To do commanders requires different abilities. Unfortunately, several persons don't see that or understand it too late, and the gold is already gone.

    My personal opinion of course. :)

    This is good advice.

    I have had my comm tag for ages (100g per character anyone?) and have gotten good use out of it (and still do) but I have to second this recommendation. If you do not intend to use the tag and tag up for stuff, absolutely do not spend gold on it. Not only do tags automaticall make people follow you, they will also draw negative attention if you are bad at commanding or god forbid forget to tag down.

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    As I said above I have put a lot of thought into this. I'm often the person explaining how to do events in map chat and answering everyone's questions while the commander focused on being in the right place and staying alive, or when there isn't a commander. I've also used the mentor tag as a substitute to lead/direct groups when there wasn't a commander available.

    Basically I've come as close as I can to being the commander without being able to use the extra functions the tag gives and often found it frustrating that I have to make do without them.

    Of course I don't intend to use it all the time, or even that often over all. But it would be nice if next time I find myself in a situation where I'm hoping someone else will tag up or trying to persuade them because the moving map marker would be helpful I could instead just get on and do it myself. Especially since that's usually what people tell me to do when I ask someone else to do it.

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

  • Hex.2579Hex.2579 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2017

    @Dreamy Lu.3865 said:
    Kind recommendation: Buy the tag only if you really intend to do the commander job, because you know what it means for a "work" and you would love to do it. This is quite an amount of money for an icon and if you do not really use it after that, you will feel like you wasted the gold.

    I heard this feedback from several players already, regretting they bought it, because they get no fun at doing commander so they never use it.

    Generally, a tag does not acknowledge a level of performances and it is also not meant to be a decoration. It is "only" a marking for someone taking a responsibility toward other players and it can be quite a burden at times. A very good player does not necessarily makes a good commander. To do commanders requires different abilities. Unfortunately, several persons don't see that or understand it too late, and the gold is already gone.

    My personal opinion of course. :)

    every single word. kudos to ya.
    and yes if you don't want to organize events, do other things for the good of other players, then having a tag is a big waste.
    it doesn't matter how long you have been playing the game. you have to find the tag somewhat useful to buy it.
    it's kinda like a "job" sometimes, i agree. but you have to like that "job", or else you would never find any reason to tag up.

    same reason as to why i saved up my golds to buy the tag in the first place. i like to organize events and do that kitten. it feels very rewarding in its own way.
    or at times i ask if someone could tag up and help while a bunch of us standing around and be wishy washy if anyone of us had a tag. while the ones with tags just ignore and tell us to gtfo. lol.
    i tag up for hp trains and i don't ask for golds in an exchange unlike others. and all these little messages i receive are very touching. those i consider real "rewards".
    some even sent me gem items and stacks of items which are insane ,-, maybe i'm not used to it but yea. real rewards are still being able to help out.

    you need people personality and patience. a lot of patience depend on group wise.
    some thick skin helps from time to time too, especially against trolls. because they can sour the whole squad mood if you can't deal with them right.
    if you use mentor tag often, you'll find the use for the commander tag. it's definitely an upgrade and you'll love it.

    i only have one set of tags, the regular ones when i got it. i really don't see the point of having another set. i saved it for my griffon though ^^
    and they work both ways equally. which one you buy first is 300g, while the other sitting at 150g.

  • Neutra.6857Neutra.6857 Member ✭✭✭

    @Cyninja.2954 said:

    @Dreamy Lu.3865 said:
    Kind recommendation: Buy the tag only if you really intend to do the commander job, because you know what it means for a "work" and you would love to do it. This is quite an amount of money for an icon and if you do not really use it after that, you will feel like you wasted the gold.

    I heard this feedback from several players already, regretting they bought it, because they get no fun at doing commander so they never use it.

    Generally, a tag does not acknowledge a level of performances and it is also not meant to be a decoration. It is "only" a marking for someone taking a responsibility toward other players and it can be quite a burden at times. A very good player does not necessarily makes a good commander. To do commanders requires different abilities. Unfortunately, several persons don't see that or understand it too late, and the gold is already gone.

    My personal opinion of course. :)

    This is good advice.

    I have had my comm tag for ages (100g per character anyone?) and have gotten good use out of it (and still do) but I have to second this recommendation. If you do not intend to use the tag and tag up for stuff, absolutely do not spend gold on it. Not only do tags automaticall make people follow you, they will also draw negative attention if you are bad at commanding or god forbid forget to tag down.

    I am like you in that I got the tag after essentially being the commander while not being the commander. In particular I was often the lead for the track in dragonstand while the person with the commander tag was entirely new to the map. I found that having the tag is worth it for me, and it sounds like it will be worth it for you. I probably don't use it as much as other people with the tag do (I specifically do not use it in WvW because I suck at WvW), but when I do want to be the commander it is invaluable. As others have said the first tag you buy is always the same price, and the second always has the discount, so it doesn't matter which order you buy them in. Other then variety there is no real difference.

  • @Galmac.4680 said:
    At least the commander tag is useful in PvE too... if a guild searches for a guild bounty (guild missions) and you find it by random, you can tag up and lead them to your position. Or lead guild missions in your own if you have the rights for that in your guild.

    That's a lot of gold for something you can do with a mentor tag that's free.

  • @Veprovina.4876 said:

    @Galmac.4680 said:
    At least the commander tag is useful in PvE too... if a guild searches for a guild bounty (guild missions) and you find it by random, you can tag up and lead them to your position. Or lead guild missions in your own if you have the rights for that in your guild.

    That's a lot of gold for something you can do with a mentor tag that's free.

    Can't make a PvE squad with mentor tag

    Permanently Embiggened

  • @Cuon Alpinus.7645 said:

    @Veprovina.4876 said:

    @Galmac.4680 said:
    At least the commander tag is useful in PvE too... if a guild searches for a guild bounty (guild missions) and you find it by random, you can tag up and lead them to your position. Or lead guild missions in your own if you have the rights for that in your guild.

    That's a lot of gold for something you can do with a mentor tag that's free.

    Can't make a PvE squad with mentor tag

    Yeah, but if you just want to show someone where something is, a mentor tag is enough. Like the bounty guild missions or something. Squads are for meta events so you can ferry to the map, for raids obviously and for WvW, in general PvE or just showing someone "hey i found your guild bounty" doesn't require you to shell out 350 g for a commander tag.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.