Class balance, my opinion after a year playing Guild Wars 2

Halikus.1406

Since my post on another thread got overshadowed by the own thread's title and ppl seems to ignore every argument you bring without even reading the post, assuming that you're talking about X when you're talking about Y, and I got a bit off topic too lol. I decided to create a different topic and copy my post to expose my opinion on class balance on GW2. In the following text I'll mostly talk about balancing the game around the classes particularities instead of team fight focused plus game mode variety and my opinion of Guild Wars 2 after a year playing it. I would like to read others opinion on the matter in this topic about the points I will bring to the table and have a healthy discussion. So be warned wall of text incoming, :)

"The problem with spvp for me isn't because it is 5v5, it's because we have to control and cap/decap certain areas and battle around it to protect. Like I said in my inital post here this game mode clearly gives the advantage to certain classes/specs that can tank, have mobility to rotate, specifc roles that obviously not every class can fill. This game mode limitates build diversity for classes/specs too much since they have their "role" and they can't climb much farther without "adjusting" their build for that purpose.Balancing around the classes particularities and keeping its role in general, or redesign them if needed, could provide a better "balance" in my opinion. Because if each class has it's own tools agaist others, while keeping it's weaknesses at the same time like for example necro vs thief, they could in theory have a better control of things. Like, why are certain classes sooooo dependable of team support to fulfill it's "role"?Why not keep their roles and their weaknesses but give them tools to sustain themselves while not diverging to make them too overpowered, for example giving a specific spec/class high burst capability at the begining of the fight but lower during it with average to low sustain while others the opposite of that or something else, this kind of thing. Because the way I see it today we have certain classes with those capabilities while others dont have the capacity to sustain themselves in that fight, which is an obvious advantage for that class but not only over the one the has been beaten but over all the other classes that don't have that capacity too. The point here being, why balance certain classes/specs around 1v1 AND team fight capabilities while others are only balanced around team fight or single fights, being this game one that revolves around builds you either balance them in the same way or give them the option to choose which one they want to focus. Necros are a good example of that, they are a team fighter but not remotely balanced around single fights, even though necros got a certain advantage agaist certain classes thanks to the boon/condi system, they dont really have the option to choose in this case, it's the players that try really hard to make it happen.Why is almost every skill in the game a multi target skill even though there are specific skills for that purpose? Why not have classes with their particular "boons" and "conditions" but instead you made this sort of "unified system"? Because we clearly have an issue with indiscriminate and overused spread of boons and conditions atm, you can't and you won't balance them like this when you have an excess of things to deal with because instead of shortening the issue you create more to "fix" it when it's clearly doing the opposite.

I hope I could make myself clear because I'm not good at expressing myself in english. But to sum up 5v5/team fights got way too many variables to balance around and involving the player to seize control of something you're limiting their roles and their freedom way too much. I like how anet tried to create something unique in Guild Wars 2, they certainly did it in some points, but I believe they should make their purpose clearer. As an experienced gamer I'm still confused to what their intention is, because in each balance patch they change the classes so much that I sometimes can't seem to understand their objective it's like they are always unsatisfied with the state of the game, to me it seems like they are trying to merge a mmorpg with a moba type of game. I sure know that balance patches are important, even more with each expansion and it's new features for the classes, but the amount of "change" in GW2 balance patches are really something."

Archived