New Rev offhand sword is terrible, please give sword 4 its block back and make sword 5 less clunky

Flauvious.6195

I don't get it, you say the problem with offhand sword is that it's a mix of offense and defense, like that's a bad thing. Why is this a bad thing?? Axe is pure offense, shield is pure defense, and sword was a mix of both, what the hell is wrong with that? Now it's the exact same thing as axe, except with higher cd's, energy cost. Sword 4 block was honestly the best thing about it, please either revert it completely or preferably just re add the block part, offhand sword could have used a straight up buff to begin with. Sword 5 needs to land its second hit faster, you will literally never hit anyone with it in pvp. As soon as you jump to someone they have all the time in the world to block, pop invulnerability, or just dodge. Or, even better, just walk away from you since it misses if you aren't basically hugging them.

League of legends preseason just started, so I guess I'll be doing that for awhile now. See you later Gw2.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know the block on that skill 4 was okay but I'd much rather have that sick new skill with ACTUAL BURST POTENTIAL in group fights rather than a block. Honestly this patch revitalized Revenant quite a bit for me and may finally pull me out of Weaver for a bit. Still probably not maining Rev till we get a Greatsword but at least I will love playing mine again.

To everyone complaining about new Sword offhand, I bet you guys were also the ones complaining about how useless the last sword offhand we had was and how shield was much better a while back too. xD

@Rain.9213 said:You know the block on that skill 4 was okay but I'd much rather have that sick new skill with ACTUAL BURST POTENTIAL in group fights rather than a block. Honestly this patch revitalized Revenant quite a bit for me and may finally pull me out of Weaver for a bit. Still probably not maining Rev till we get a Greatsword but at least I will love playing mine again.

To everyone complaining about new Sword offhand, I bet you guys were also the ones complaining about how useless the last sword offhand we had was and how shield was much better a while back too. xD

I saw the start of the season 9 from some streamers and what they won in terms of burst using sword #4 and #5 they lost getting one shooted every time they got focused with staff swap being in cooldwon. Rev's off hand sword is a pure glass cannon for a profession designed to alternate high single target burst with blocks, evades and i-frames. Doesn't fit the philosophy of the class and will made any future main hand weapon of incoming specializations not viable for PvP due the lack of sustain. Is also a weaker weapon than the axe because the larger cooldowns, the lesser AoE cc and higher energy cost. Fits better in a Warrior yolo build.

@Lahmia.2193 said:Go use shield if you want more defense.

iI already do. But now that you mention this, I wonder what WvW raid players will use in zerg vs zerg as off hand, because in that environment the root from the shield is a death sentence. I guess that staff + hammer is still viable...

"Just use shield" yea, just sacrifice all the old damage of the sword so you can root yourself in place, that's the same thing. The only thing I complained about with old off hand sword was the energy cost, new off hand sword still has bad energy costs and super long cds, as well as no block.

It's more fun in pve maybe, where you just cycle through rotations, but in PvP you need all the blocks you can get.

Can I use shield if I do not play Herald? No. While Renegade is terrible in sPvP, the only somewhat usable build used s/s and m/a. Now off hand sword is out of use in PvP. In fact, the only block in the entire none herald arsenal is staff 4. A weapon that does no damage in any game mode.

Off hand sword is just a redundant off hand axe. Might provide a slightly more damage for power builds in PvE, but that is about it. Great solution to resolve off hand weapon "identity crisis," and a great addition to rev weapons variety.

@otto.5684 said:

Can I use shield if I do not play Herald? No. While Renegade is terrible in sPvP, the only somewhat usable build used s/s and m/a. Now off hand sword is out of use in PvP. In fact, the only block in the entire none herald arsenal is staff 4. A weapon that does no damage in any game mode.

Off hand sword is just a redundant off hand axe. Might provide a slightly more damage for power builds in PvE, but that is about it. Great solution to resolve off hand weapon "identity crisis," and a great addition to rev weapons variety.

The Burst Damage that wasn’t lost with Invo changes are offset with Sword OH yes the survivability from it is gone but with a different playstyle in mind it does well-ish in PvP, they just have to fix the clunky ness of Sword OH, reduce the the Cost/CD for Sw5 back to 15 and 15 respectively, reduce cast to 1/4 sec increase the range on the second and fix the camera issues with it. Sw4 seems fine currently could probably use a cast time reduction but not certain yet.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@otto.5684 said:

The Burst Damage that wasn’t lost with Invo changes are offset with Sword OH yes the survivability from it is gone but with a different playstyle in mind it does well-ish in PvP, they just have to fix the clunky ness of Sword OH, reduce the the Cost/CD for Sw5 back to 15 and 15 respectively, reduce cast to 1/4 sec increase the range on the second and fix the camera issues with it. Sw4 seems fine currently could probably use a cast time reduction but not certain yet.

Why should I play off hand sword in PvP again? Burst? GL with that.

@otto.5684 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@otto.5684 said:

It’s serving me well enough, people just have to adapt, I know that’s horrible to say but if players can’t adapt to changes it really says something.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@otto.5684 said:

It’s serving me well enough, people just have to adapt, I know that’s horrible to say but if players can’t adapt to changes it really says something.

Why play with sword offhand which lost block when i can pick axe that does the job much better than current clunky crap called sword offhand?

Rip core rev.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@otto.5684 said:

GL with that buddy. Have fun time adapting with a no block weapon against scourges, SBs and FBs.

In any case, everyone is still using shield so argument about off hand sword in PvP before or after is kinda pointless.

@Burtnik.5218 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@otto.5684 said:

Why play with sword offhand which lost block when i can pick axe that does the job much better than current clunky crap called sword offhand?

Rip core rev.

Higher Burst Damage and doesn’t have a CC that players can just step outside of, again if players can’t adapt it’s telling of that player, they just have to smooth out the Sword 5 and it will be very competitive as a pick.

@otto.5684 been having a blast so far no issues that weren’t present before but now OH Sword adds consistency to landing Burst and no more Auto CC Traits proccing on it so win win there.

And most high end players chose Axe over Shield majority of the time ecause Shield was useless against good players.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Higher Burst Damage and doesn’t have a CC that players can just step outside of, again if players can’t adapt it’s telling of that player, they just have to smooth out the Sword 5 and it will be very competitive as a pick.

@otto.5684 been having a blast so far no issues that weren’t present before but now OH Sword adds consistency to landing Burst and no more Auto CC Traits proccing on it so win win there.

And most high end players chose Axe over Shield majority of the time ecause Shield was useless against good players.

Yea, now it just has burst that players can just step outside of. You will not land the second hit of sword 5 against any competent player unless they are downed or cc'd by one of your teammates, it's to slow and short ranged. As soon as someone sees you blink on them they will reflex dodge, use a block, invulnerability, or just run out of its range if they're faster than you. Compared to axe 4, it's basically the exact same ability down the the chill, except way clunkier, more expensive energy wise, and with a longer cd.

I haven't had a chance to play around with this yet, but one of the reasons it conceptually bothers me is that core Rev does not have access to shield, so having oh sword be a hybrid defense/utility weapon makes more sense than having it be a second offensive weapon comparable to oh axe.`OH Axe works well as an offensive weapon for both condition and power builds, which is why it made more sense for OH Sword to be more utility/defense.

On the other hand, it does fit the "assassin" theme better.

@Orion Templar.4589 said:I'm finding the new OH sword to be a lot of fun, and it hits hard. I think the energy costs need slight reductions though.

I'd be more ok with it if I beleived that was actually going to happen, but this game goes like 6 months between balance updates and then they're some random changes no one asked for, so it's most likely going to stay in this clunky shape.

Archived