Official Mount Adoption Feedback Thread [merged] - Page 47 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Official Mount Adoption Feedback Thread [merged]

1444547495061

Comments

  • If they don't fix this I will be taking gw2 off my pc and will not pay for the next big DLC they make.

  • @WingedLass.7456 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    The odds of getting what you want is not even that high.

    Nope, not very high odds indeed.

    Mis-typed: "The odds of NOT getting..."

    Then this is not about affordability. You're actually complaining about the randomness.


    Yes, I am. And I'm not the only one unable (or, in other cases, unwilling) to afford a way to eliminate the randomness from the equation.

    Well, it's an option and it's available. You don't even need to fork up the cash, you can convert gold to gems too.

    Yes, it's cosmetic. Yes, it's optional. I'm not saying they're obligated to offer it separately. I'm saying that I'd really like to be able to buy it separately, and they don't give me the option to. For people willing to buy the bundle with everything, it's not a problem. For me it is, which I complain about.

    The option is there. If you don't like the randomness, then buy the bundle. If you can't afford the bundle then try your luck on singles. Or cut the odds to 1:3 by buying the 10 pack.

    That's not an option to buy the shirt separately. That's an option to buy all shirts and have 29 of them lying around in the closet, a wasted 116 bucks, and no option to even donate any of them to goodwill. That, or an option to buy a shirt and hope, pray, beg that it'll be the one I want, or keep on spending until I get it (with again, the ones I get before that one lying around in my closet, wasted money, etc.)

    No different than buying an assorted pack of socks even if you're not going to use the tube socks. I doubt they will remove the randomness.

    Hence, me purposely using 'figuratively'. I'm not saying they cost me limbs. I'm saying the comparison is moot because it's still not a good thing. I can say it's like stealing 10 euros vs stealing 100 euros, which is both still not okay, if it makes you feel better about approaching a literal comparison. (Before you continue - yes, I am aware they're also not stealing any money, I'd be spending it voluntarily. That's why it's a comparison.)

    You need to work on your analogy then because those were bad examples.

    I don't complain about your Ferrari, either.

    I used that only because you said it's unaffordable when you clearly complaining about randomness.

    Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

  • John.8507John.8507 Member ✭✭✭

    Should remove the RNG aspect and it's very expensive at full price to buy all skins so will not be buying.

  • @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    No different than buying an assorted pack of socks even if you're not going to use the tube socks. I doubt they will remove the randomness.

    I knew there was a reason I only buy socks I'm all going to use. (Sorry, yes, that was rather childish. True, though, I'll never get an assorted pack of socks that contains ones I know I won't use. I guess we're all different when it comes to these things.)

    It might be best to agree to disagree on the subject. Clearly, we think on it differently, and I'm not sure either of us is going to convince the other. Considering the risk of this devolving into a back-and-forth, this is my final reply. Thank you for the serious discussion, though, and have a nice evening.

  • Rococo.8347Rococo.8347 Member ✭✭✭

    Crikey, I did think 48 hours after the patch came out that there would be some sort of response.

    What this has given me an opportunity to do is expand my awareness of other youtubers than WoodenPotatoes or checking out Dulfy, and its good to see from what ive watched that its not just here that people are unhappy - check out the GW2 partners directory and a few Reddit threads. Deroir and Inks were interesting...

    That said im not sure even their collective power and the gaming media is going to stop this rapid slide into mainly pay walled and RNG cosmetics, though I hope it does because my WoW sub is starting to look attractive when their next xp and classic servers comes out.

    I feel even more strongly now that mount skins ( and gliders actually) and more cosmetic rewards in general need to go into the game.

  • @WingedLass.7456 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    No different than buying an assorted pack of socks even if you're not going to use the tube socks. I doubt they will remove the randomness.

    I knew there was a reason I only buy socks I'm all going to use. (Sorry, yes, that was rather childish. True, though, I'll never get an assorted pack of socks that contains ones I know I won't use. I guess we're all different when it comes to these things.)

    It might be best to agree to disagree on the subject. Clearly, we think on it differently, and I'm not sure either of us is going to convince the other. Considering the risk of this devolving into a back-and-forth, this is my final reply. Thank you for the serious discussion, though, and have a nice evening.

    You too.

    Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

  • troops.8276troops.8276 Member ✭✭✭

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @troops.8276 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @WingedLass.7456 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @WingedLass.7456 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    While WoW sells a single skin for $25, GW2 sells a skin for $5 (400 gems). $4 per skin if you buy the bundle.

    1) So does GW2. You have seen the new Jackal, right? Bright side? You know exactly what you're getting.

    You know exactly what you're getting. If you buy the bundle you get all 30 of them.

    For the bundle, yes. For anything less (like the 10-pack or the 1 contract), no.

    The odds of getting what you want is not even that high.

    2) Again, I cannot afford to buy all of them for the few skins I want. It's a bargain, if you get to choose. We don't get to choose, I don't care for most of them, and so I can't/won't get any of them. I complain because there is a few I do want, and there's no reasonable way for me to get them.

    If you can't afford it, then that's your problem, isn't it? I can't afford a Ferrari, but why would I waste my time complaining about it?

    I'm not complaining about not being able to afford a Ferrari. A Ferrari is like the Jackal, which indeed I can also not afford. That's not my problem. My problem is not being able to afford a shirt I want because it's between a bunch of other shirts and I can only get a random one out of 30, instead of the one shirt I want.

    Then this is not about affordability. You're actually complaining about the randomness.

    Yes, it's cosmetic. Yes, it's optional. I'm not saying they're obligated to offer it separately. I'm saying that I'd really like to be able to buy it separately, and they don't give me the option to. For people willing to buy the bundle with everything, it's not a problem. For me it is, which I complain about.

    The option is there. If you don't like the randomness, then buy the bundle. If you can't afford the bundle then try your luck on singles. Or cut the odds to 1:3 by buying the 10 pack.

    3) Comparisons to other games where 'things are worse' don't do much to me. Figuratively speaking, I'll still complain about someone chopping off my hand, rather than chopping off my arm. Thanks, but just because it could've been worse doesn't mean it's okay.

    That's your perception. Things in WoW isn't worst. And no, ArenaNet does not want your arm or your hand -- that's you underpricing your limbs. If I have to chop my finger, I better get $100 million for it, so if you want an arm, you better afford $250 Billion. These skins don't cost a hand or an arm, let alone a finger.

    Hence, me purposely using 'figuratively'. I'm not saying they cost me limbs. I'm saying the comparison is moot because it's still not a good thing. I can say it's like stealing 10 euros vs stealing 100 euros, which is both still not okay, if it makes you feel better about approaching a literal comparison. (Before you continue - yes, I am aware they're also not stealing any money, I'd be spending it voluntarily. That's why it's a comparison.)

    You need to work on your analogy then because those were bad examples.

    You very neatly explained the problem therein. There is no way to simply buy the actual product you want. It was designed deliberately to be like that. The inherent weakness that is being 'preyed' upon of the customer is being drawn into a game of chance where the odds are statistically against them. Hence people using the 'predatory' analogy.

    The problem here is that people want to buy something that ArenaNet is not selling.

    Well that is one way of looking at it. Have you considered why it is something Anet is not selling. Maybe if you do then you might understand.

  • This is the biggest, shameless money grabbing scheme I have ever seen...
    There is not 1 single sane reason you can justify this with, not 1!

    You disgust me with this Anet... I once spoke so full of praise of Anet, ever since GW1.. But after a few horrible balance patches, Scourge in general, Reaper shroud decay and the insane amount of "give me all your money" gem store items I now loathe what you have become...

    Listen to your community, your loyal player base, read the official forums, hear our voices and show us you still care!

  • @Rococo.8347 said:
    I feel even more strongly now that mount skins ( and gliders actually) and more cosmetic rewards in general need to go into the game.

    They are in the game. You can convert gold to gem. I farmed this one randomly dropped mount from an old dungeon in WoW so many times. I made a lot of gold wishing that there's a way to use the gold to just buy the mount instead of wasting my time resetting and running the same dungeon over and over. Is that what you like to do, to run the same content hoping for a random drop? Then GW2 has it. To me, there's not difference.

    Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

  • troops.8276troops.8276 Member ✭✭✭

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @Rococo.8347 said:
    I feel even more strongly now that mount skins ( and gliders actually) and more cosmetic rewards in general need to go into the game.

    They are in the game. You can convert gold to gem. I farmed this one randomly dropped mount from an old dungeon in WoW so many times. I made a lot of gold wishing that there's a way to use the gold to just buy the mount instead of wasting my time resetting and running the same dungeon over and over. Is that what you like to do, to run the same content hoping for a random drop? Then GW2 has it. To me, there's not difference.

    The more people do that the worse the exchange rate will become thus effectively increasing the grinding time which in turn makes paying with real money more enticing. They thought this through you know.

  • Same as many here. I don't post often at all. My two cents is that it's not that I disagree with the gem store at all I know you guys need some way to turn a profit without sub fees and all. But please, in game rewards suck compared to the gem store. I also don't want to have to pay the worth of a legendary to try and get the one or two mount skins I want if I get screwed by RNG. I love this game I do. But friends of mine are leaving over this kitten. There needs to be balance between the two. Hell even the legendary backpack gliders don't hold a candle to the gem store ones.

  • @troops.8276 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @Rococo.8347 said:
    I feel even more strongly now that mount skins ( and gliders actually) and more cosmetic rewards in general need to go into the game.

    They are in the game. You can convert gold to gem. I farmed this one randomly dropped mount from an old dungeon in WoW so many times. I made a lot of gold wishing that there's a way to use the gold to just buy the mount instead of wasting my time resetting and running the same dungeon over and over. Is that what you like to do, to run the same content hoping for a random drop? Then GW2 has it. To me, there's not difference.

    The more people do that the worse the exchange rate will become thus effectively increasing the grinding time which in turn makes paying with real money more enticing. They thought this through you know.

    Nah, I doubt it. It might spike the exchange rate sure, but you can't ignore those who exchange gems for gold.

    Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

  • troops.8276troops.8276 Member ✭✭✭

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @troops.8276 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @Rococo.8347 said:
    I feel even more strongly now that mount skins ( and gliders actually) and more cosmetic rewards in general need to go into the game.

    They are in the game. You can convert gold to gem. I farmed this one randomly dropped mount from an old dungeon in WoW so many times. I made a lot of gold wishing that there's a way to use the gold to just buy the mount instead of wasting my time resetting and running the same dungeon over and over. Is that what you like to do, to run the same content hoping for a random drop? Then GW2 has it. To me, there's not difference.

    The more people do that the worse the exchange rate will become thus effectively increasing the grinding time which in turn makes paying with real money more enticing. They thought this through you know.

    Nah, I doubt it. It might spike the exchange rate sure, but you can't ignore those who exchange gems for gold.

    Yes indeed. Getting real money in is what it's all about. It's a mechanism to ensure that buying gems directly is all ways enticing and that enough people will do it. But it all ways remains that you must grind or pay. It's a very clever business model.

  • The choice to force players to gamble this way to get mounts skins is just so incredibly disappointing. I've always been happy to buy gems in an effort to show my support for the game, you get some fancy skins and it's no pay to win, the Black Lion Chest-RNG can mostly be avoided with the TP. The way Guild Wars 2 has dealt with real money transactions has always been a big reason why it's the only MMO I play, and also a reason why I recommend the game to other people.
    Anet, you -know- that people really want mount skins, the mounts have become a big part of the game now, and by putting them behind a luck based lootbox paid with real money it seems like you only want to force people to pay as much as possible for the skins they want? Rather than the gem shop-skins being a reward for players who support you. It's such a cheap way to profit from the players. I'm glad to show my support with real money -when I know what I will get for them-. Not otherwise.
    Seeing Anet delve into this lootbox-business is disheartening.
    Needless to say, I won't be buying any mount skins as long as they are random.

  • @atomy.3817 said:

    Nothing "predatory" about this at all. That's just an exaggeration by inappropriately labeling something they don't like.

    Right, they just want to trick people into spending much more on multiple attempts at winning the skin they want, rather than just letting them buy it outright. Nothing predatory about that. /S

    They are letting players buy them outright if you buy the bundle. It's not cheap, but it's there.

    Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

  • atomy.3817atomy.3817 Member
    edited November 10, 2017

    Anyways, you can't seriously argue that they expect the average person to buy the whole set. They know that most people will behave just the way I described, they'll buy tickets until they get the skin they want.

  • @Wraith.1094 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    Nothing "predatory" about this at all. That's just an exaggeration by inappropriately labeling something they don't like.

    Right, they just want to trick people into spending much more on multiple attempts at winning the skin they want, rather than just letting them buy it outright. Nothing predatory about that. /S

    They are letting players buy them outright if you buy the bundle. It's not cheap, but it's there.

    And you could win the lottery if you just buy a ticket for every possible combination of numbers.

    this. everyone arguing "it's not gambling because you can buy them all" is wasting time on pointless semantics. except for a tiny portion of dedicated collectors and/or whales, most people only want a handful of these 30 skins, not every last one. every skin they pay for but don't want is a lost dice roll. just because there's a fixed total number of possible times to lose doesn't mean it isn't gambling.

    Call it gambling if you want, but this is nothing different than getting a random drop.

    Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

  • Sylv.5324Sylv.5324 Member ✭✭✭

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:
    No different than buying an assorted pack of socks even if you're not going to use the tube socks. I doubt they will remove the randomness.

    It is when your _only _current option is a multi-pack. That's actually happened to me IRL because I love socks, and I generally pass on that and go to a different store.

  • @atomy.3817 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    Nothing "predatory" about this at all. That's just an exaggeration by inappropriately labeling something they don't like.

    Right, they just want to trick people into spending much more on multiple attempts at winning the skin they want, rather than just letting them buy it outright. Nothing predatory about that. /S

    They are letting players buy them outright if you buy the bundle. It's not cheap, but it's there.

    And you could win the lottery if you just buy a ticket for every possible combination of numbers.

    That's ridiculous and you know it. To compare 1:30 chance to 1:1,000,000+ chance is absurd.

    Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

  • STIHL.2489STIHL.2489 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

    @STIHL.2489 said:
    Guys... think about it.
    Dyes are RNG
    Weapon Skins are RNG

    Why is anyone surprised that Mount skins are RNG now too?

    I mean personally.. I would have liked it better if it was divided up by Mount type, so, if I wanted, I could just get a Random Raptor Skin, or Random Skimmer Skin.. s opposed to any skin from any mount.

    If they broke it up a bit at least, to that we could pick which mount we wanted the RNG skin for, that would be much better., IMHO.

    There no gemstore weapons skins that are RNG.

    Fir point, I was thinking more along the lines that the BL Claim Tickets and Scraps were RNG.

    There are two kinds of Gamers, Salty, and Extra Salty.
    Ego is the Anesthesia that dullens the pain of Stupidity.

  • @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @Wraith.1094 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    Nothing "predatory" about this at all. That's just an exaggeration by inappropriately labeling something they don't like.

    Right, they just want to trick people into spending much more on multiple attempts at winning the skin they want, rather than just letting them buy it outright. Nothing predatory about that. /S

    They are letting players buy them outright if you buy the bundle. It's not cheap, but it's there.

    And you could win the lottery if you just buy a ticket for every possible combination of numbers.

    this. everyone arguing "it's not gambling because you can buy them all" is wasting time on pointless semantics. except for a tiny portion of dedicated collectors and/or whales, most people only want a handful of these 30 skins, not every last one. every skin they pay for but don't want is a lost dice roll. just because there's a fixed total number of possible times to lose doesn't mean it isn't gambling.

    Call it gambling if you want, but this is nothing different than getting a random drop.

    No, random drops aren't meant to exploit people's tendency to buy chances at winning things even though the odds are stacked against them.

  • @Sylv.5324 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:
    Anyways, you can't seriously argue that they expect the average person to buy the whole set. They know that most people will behave just the way I described, they'll buy tickets until they get the skin they want.

    This burned me so bad on AION (another NCSoft game) that I quit and I don't gamble like that anymore. And considering that the reason I bought this game was to a) support ANet and b) mounts mounts mounts, I'm seriously pissed.

    I was in LA and people were saying the hole loot boxes RNG is not bad....well it was fun while it lasted gw2 :(

  • I really don't mind loot box skins, there is some enjoyment out of getting a really cool skin out of a box, but the price of these things are astronomical, 9600 gems is about 3000g with in game currency or over $100. The expansion is $30, is the anyway you can argue that these 30 mount skins are worth more than 3 Path of fire expansions. Most of these skins are just change the dye channels on the mounts. That is way over the curve of price for this games shop. Although it shouldn't be too hard of a fix. Anyone of the suggestions below would be enough for me to be satisfied with

    1. Drop the rng loot-box nonsense and just let us buy the mounts, just like gliders you can make the simple re-coloring ones cheap (400 gems maybe) and the really nice ones that change the shape and add effects could be more expensive (700-1500). I don't think they should be any higher than that, because you only use a specific mount for quite a small part of the game. 5 different situational mounts that can't be used in 1 of 3 main game modes and in pve it isn't allowed in fractals, raids, or even in combat in the open world.

    2.Drop the price dramatically, almost everybody is going to have a favorite skin for each of the five mounts, that is probably the only one that will see any use. So people who want to guarantee that they have to spend 9600 gems or possible more if they try and gamble it. none of those skins you can get from the boxes are worth over $10 which is well beyond what you would have to pay now. On a similar note I think the reforged warhound skin is way too expensive, expecially considering i don't think it looks as good as some of the other jackal skins released, but this doesn't bother me as much because if i don't like a skin i don't have to risk buying it in order to get the one i want.

    1. Have a way to earn a limited number of boxes that can be earned through in game means, maybe little things like getting gold on a griffon adventure, or maxing out a mount mastery line, buy it from one of the mount hearts for karma, achievement reward, at least something to wet the appetite. It could also help playtime in certain areas if they can be earned there. They could also be given away like many gemstore thing s have been in the past, but it is not as satisfying as earning it.

    2. Make the skins trad-able on the TP. You do it with dyes and minis: nobody has a problem with it, if you want ocean dye you buy ocean dye, if you want a mini karka you buy a mini karka. People already buy gems just to turn into in game gold. If somebody buys a 400 gold skin with a week of playtime and 100 gems they converted to gold. it is pretty healthy for the game in my humble opinion. This will also attract some people who don't want the skins but just like gambling. I personally bought season 1 memory boxes for a slight opportunity to make a quick and sizable profit. I think this along with my 3rd suggestion go really well together, It feels extremely good to randomly get a huge high value drop anywhere in game, especially for new players who may have just bought the game and are struggling to make any money in it.

    Something should be done about this, it is pretty disheartening to have something cool behind such an absurd paywall.

  • troops.8276troops.8276 Member ✭✭✭

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @Wraith.1094 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    Nothing "predatory" about this at all. That's just an exaggeration by inappropriately labeling something they don't like.

    Right, they just want to trick people into spending much more on multiple attempts at winning the skin they want, rather than just letting them buy it outright. Nothing predatory about that. /S

    They are letting players buy them outright if you buy the bundle. It's not cheap, but it's there.

    And you could win the lottery if you just buy a ticket for every possible combination of numbers.

    this. everyone arguing "it's not gambling because you can buy them all" is wasting time on pointless semantics. except for a tiny portion of dedicated collectors and/or whales, most people only want a handful of these 30 skins, not every last one. every skin they pay for but don't want is a lost dice roll. just because there's a fixed total number of possible times to lose doesn't mean it isn't gambling.

    Call it gambling if you want, but this is nothing different than getting a random drop.

    In a way. Most good random drops come at the end of some sort of content though. A dungeon, a raid, a chain of quests or a world event. Low probability of getting what you want in those instances is to slow down or time gate rewards and content to encourage more play time and thus used to manipulate people in sub based profit models for the most part or to make buying the item with real money more desirable. The beauty of making items exclusive to the cash shop is you don't need to bother making the content to play through in the first place.

  • Tekoneiric.6817Tekoneiric.6817 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Vlad Morbius.1759 said:
    I would say that several thousand posts between here and Reddit, along with several supporters on You Tube and and various gaming sites denouncing this should be enough feedback to warrant some response by Anet. Frankly i am not certain what more they need before they try and fix this and push back the tide of negative publicity this has garnered, to me the silence is the disconcerting part of this after two days.

    They are probably silent because the decision to deliver mounts this way was likely made by someone really high up who has little contact with the public and no one else at ANet who is closer to the customer base knows how to respond or may have been told not to respond. They could also be afraid to respond to it. I'm sure most of the people at ANet had little to do with the decision to deliver mounts as RNG.

    I doubt there will be a response until this gets picked up by larger new organizations like CNN in an article about the spread of gambling in the computer gaming industry. I'm surprised there hasn't been coverage by big new outlets since children play games also. I guess it's lost in all the political news.

  • @troops.8276 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @Wraith.1094 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    Nothing "predatory" about this at all. That's just an exaggeration by inappropriately labeling something they don't like.

    Right, they just want to trick people into spending much more on multiple attempts at winning the skin they want, rather than just letting them buy it outright. Nothing predatory about that. /S

    They are letting players buy them outright if you buy the bundle. It's not cheap, but it's there.

    And you could win the lottery if you just buy a ticket for every possible combination of numbers.

    this. everyone arguing "it's not gambling because you can buy them all" is wasting time on pointless semantics. except for a tiny portion of dedicated collectors and/or whales, most people only want a handful of these 30 skins, not every last one. every skin they pay for but don't want is a lost dice roll. just because there's a fixed total number of possible times to lose doesn't mean it isn't gambling.

    Call it gambling if you want, but this is nothing different than getting a random drop.

    In a way. Most good random drops come at the end of some sort of content though. A dungeon, a raid, a chain of quests or a world event. Low probability of getting what you want in those instances is to slow down or time gate rewards and content to encourage more play time and thus used to manipulate people in sub based profit models for the most part or to make buying the item with real money more desirable. The beauty of making items exclusive to the cash shop is you don't need to bother making the content to play through in the first place.

    Look at it this way. I played for a week running the same content hoping for the mount I want to drop from the boss, after several others drop, I got it. Now I played for a week in GW2, make enough gold to convert to gems and randomly got other skins until I get the one I want. Different path, same result.

    Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

  • Tons of feedback here that I simply haven’t got the time to read through, so I’m sure I’ll be repeating other oft mentioned comments. Here’s my take:

    Arenanet has to monetize the game resources somehow. I don’t begrudge them trying to position new, highly requested options at a price they thought the market might support. I’ve seen multiple posts from individual players requesting certain features at insane prices - gems or gold, sometimes in excess of 5000 gems or 10000 gold - just because they wanted the features that badly, I guess. I think we can point to those players as the scapegoats for the current mount prices.

    Why didn’t Anet sell these skins individually? I think they knew some were totally meh and people would only want the super cool ones. Offer all of them at premium gem prices - even 600-700 gems - and everyone would only buy the “cool” ones, and the unimpressive skins would be a waste of design resources. Everyone would be running a pyroclast jackal or a star bound griffon. The attempt to diversify mount aesthetics would be a failure. So force the less impressive skins into the mix and maybe people will use them anyway.

    Still, I think the pricing for the current offerings is way off. As a loot box gamble, adoption licenses should only be 200-250 gems. Maybe they’ll correct the pricing with a sale in 3 months. I can only hope. The reforged war hound is way too expensive. 800 gems is a far more reasonable price. Maybe 1000 since it does have exclusive effects to set it apart from the rabble. But it’s only a jackal mount skin and I can’t imagine a large number of people will prefer jackal travel for the majority of their wanderings. Yes, there are some, I’m sure, but I don’t see the majority primarily hopping on a jackal. Maybe that’s just me. In any case, $25 US is crazy expensive for a fashion wars statement in my opinion.

    I trust Anet is learning from this but I have to wonder why it was a lesson to learn in the first place. Didn’t they already cover this ground with glider skins? They’ve settled on a reasonable and sustainable pricing strategy with gliders. How is this different? The differentiation of mounts have very little bearing on the marketability of specific skins. It seems to me that the pricing for gliders would’ve been an ideal model for mount skins. Maybe someone can explain to me how it’s different.

  • @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:
    Call it gambling if you want, but this is nothing different than getting a random drop.

    If you had to pay real world cash for every random drop, i bet you'd see the difference really fast.

    Which is not the case here.

    Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

  • Another thought about how this could work (caveat: this is not my preferred method, which would be no RNG aspect to buying the mount skins at all, but that horse, I mean raptor, has left the barn and I doubt it's coming back) -- what if ANet announced new skins and said, "Here they are, you can buy them randomly or in one big expensive honkin' package and be the first to own them BUT in two (four, whatever) weeks' time they will be available for purchase individually in the Gem Shop." This way the whales and gamblers and impatient could get them first, and those of us who have more patience than money could wait.

  • Wraith.1094Wraith.1094 Member ✭✭
    edited November 10, 2017

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:
    Call it gambling if you want, but this is nothing different than getting a random drop.

    If you had to pay real world cash for every random drop, i bet you'd see the difference really fast.

    Which is not the case here.

    so is it the same as a random drop or isn't it? at this point you're arguing with yourself

  • atomy.3817atomy.3817 Member
    edited November 10, 2017

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    Nothing "predatory" about this at all. That's just an exaggeration by inappropriately labeling something they don't like.

    Right, they just want to trick people into spending much more on multiple attempts at winning the skin they want, rather than just letting them buy it outright. Nothing predatory about that. /S

    They are letting players buy them outright if you buy the bundle. It's not cheap, but it's there.

    And you could win the lottery if you just buy a ticket for every possible combination of numbers.

    That's ridiculous and you know it. To compare 1:30 chance to 1:1,000,000+ chance is absurd.

    You're right, the lottery isn't nearly as bad because people can more intuitively understand how little of a chance of winning they actually have; it's essentially nothing. Here, if you spend 6000 gems on skins you still only have a coin toss chance of getting the skin you want, which to some people might actually seem like a "good deal".

  • Rashagar.8349Rashagar.8349 Member ✭✭✭

    @TheQuickFox.3826 said:
    WoodenPotatoes - MountGate

    Ohhh no, people are actually using that phrase for this? God. Gamers in general really have to get over the fad of using x-gate to describe things.
    But I like WP, time to see if he's any more rational about this whole thing than a depressingly sizeable cross section of people here are.

  • @atomy.3817 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

    @atomy.3817 said:

    Nothing "predatory" about this at all. That's just an exaggeration by inappropriately labeling something they don't like.

    Right, they just want to trick people into spending much more on multiple attempts at winning the skin they want, rather than just letting them buy it outright. Nothing predatory about that. /S

    They are letting players buy them outright if you buy the bundle. It's not cheap, but it's there.

    And you could win the lottery if you just buy a ticket for every possible combination of numbers.

    That's ridiculous and you know it. To compare 1:30 chance to 1:1,000,000+ chance is absurd.

    You're right, the lottery isn't nearly as bad because people can more intuitively understand how little of a chance of winning they actually have; it's essentially nothing. Here, if you spend 6000 gems on skins you still only have a coin toss chance of getting the skin you want, which to some people might actually seem like a "good deal".

    You must have an extremely bad luck if you can't get the one you want after 10 tries with a 1:3 chance -- and I highly doubt that you only want 1 skin.

    Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.