The "Money Where Your Mouth Is" Challenge

I'm creating a new forum thread for this because I don't want to simply "discuss" my displeasure with the mount skin lootbox lottery. I'm certain that will fall on deaf ears just like all the times I stated how I would be willing to spend so much more money on this game if Arenanet would just sell weapon skins individually instead of putting them in black lion chests. This time I'm going to be the change that I want see this game take.

I am calling this the "Money Where Your Mouth Is" pledge and I am hoping there are others that will follow in my footsteps. I have bought the Reforged Warhound skin. I know that the price is absolutely ridiculous but, as a show of conviction and because I wanted it, I bought it. There are at least 9 other mount skins that I'm interested in. If Arenanet will sell them individually for the 300 gem price that they have set, I will purchase all 9 skins with gems. If they do not, I will never buy another mount skin from the gemstore. That is my challenge to this company!

To sweeten the deal, and to show how adamant I am about this change going through, I will also ask my girlfriend which skins she likes and I will purchase every single one that she wants! If she wants all 31, I will buy all 31 skins for her and the word "discount" won't even be in my thoughts. This doesn't stop at mounts. There are a lot of weapon skins, gliders, dyes and outfits that I am more than willing to buy if only they were sold individually. If you don't believe me, just check my purchasing history. You'll see a bulk of individual items and a lack of bundles. Hundreds have already been spent when I had a crappy part-time job. I work full-time now and make 3 times as much as I use to. Arenanet, I'm sure you guys can imagine how much disposable income I have now. All you have to do is show me that you want it.

Consider this my mic drop. The ball is now in your court.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • ArenaNet Staff

People, I'm going to explain, once again, that when I used the word "redundant" I was referring to a case where someone repeated their comments across multiple posts. No one's individual comments are unwanted or unwelcome; nor will they go unheard. But we didn't/don't need FredPoster.1234 saying the same thing in every one of a dozen threads on the same topic. That's not valuable feedback, that's redundancy. And that's why we have a feedback thread for comments, input, complaints, concerns, and general responses on today's most-talked-about topic. If you misunderstood or if I was unclear, I'm truly sorry. I have edited my initial wording to make my intentions clearer.

@SmirkDog.3160 said:

@SmirkDog.3160 said:

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:Your post is redundant.

Don't be as bad as ANet by saying someone's post is redundant. No thread or comment is redundant.

! REDUNDAAAANNTT

Sure, just try to silence people just like they are. Did you already spend $120+ USD to buy all the skins?

Oh boy, sarcasm is not your forte.Also no, that's like 120 burritos from Taco Bell. ( which I know are worth the price). Priorities, man!If op wanted to call this " money where your mouth is" then he should have not spent 2k gems on a Mount.(Making this post redundant)

I am totally with the OP.

If Anet sold the weapon skins directly as opposed to a RNG lottery from a box, I'd buy them. equally so, I would be more then happy to buy Mount skins for my wife and myself, if they sold them directly, but again, not a fan of the RNG lottery.

I don't like RNG game like that, and I am not going to play them with real world cash, which is why I don't buy BL keys, and I don't see myself buying the mount tickets.

Also I fully agree with what the OP is doing, buy what you want, show a dollar vote, in this case, for the skin you want, and show another dollar vote by not buying what you don't like.

I was reconsidering my policy of not buying gems with money after the fun I had with PoF. I realize that the €40 I paid for PoF wont let the servers run forever. So I thought about paying a reasonable "monthly subscription fee" in RL money for gems in 2018. I am glad I waited. I don't like this this RNG (mount) deal for RL money at all. I don't want to support this kind of business model. So, back to using in-game gold for gems if I really want to buy something from the gem store. If ArenaNet is willing to stop this kind of nonsense I will reconsider my decision.

Disclaimer: I don't play Fashions Wars and I have a lot of in-game gold. So this decision will not hurt me much. And as long as there are whales to finance the daily operational costs of GW 2 I will be able to continue to play GW 2 daily.

@Crossplay.2067 said:300 gem price that they have set

Where did you read this?

I work full-time now and make 3 times as much as I use to. Arenanet, I'm sure you guys can imagine how much disposable income I have now. All you have to do is show me that you want it.

Nobody cares. You've already spent money and you won't be the last.

Consider this my mic drop.

Pretty weak mic drop tbh.

When I read the title and then got to the point about the Mecha Ram skin I thought the challenge was for people to stand up against the RNG and to get that Mecha Ram skin... whether we liked it or not.And I was thinking "Eh..................."Then I read on. It's a cool challenge for Arenanet, but they won't do a thing about it.

I'm pretty much pessimistic though so... they might. I'll be surprised and impressed and excited, but I usually just take the bad before the good.That's the best best way to never be disappointed.

I'm not usually one to complain about a lot of the things Anet does but this really gets me. There are a lot of mount skins that I would purchase, but I'm not going to purchase a CHANCE at getting the skins I want. It's why I don't buy BL keys, and why I will not buy the contracts. I will not purchase the package for them all, because, I don't want them all, and will not use most of them. I do like the Warhound, but it's definitely not worth 2k gems for one mount.

I agree with some of what the OP says...I don't like the lottery style for the new mount skins. I do occasionally gamble with the BL chest keys but only when the keys are on sale. However, I am completely unwilling to play that same lottery with the mount skins.

I bought the Forged Mount yesterday. I still don't quite know if it is an actual mount that has similar abilities to the Jackal or if it is just a skin. 2000 gems seemed a reasonable price for a mount. 2000 gems is far too much for a 'skin' when compared to the price of outfits, armor and weapon skins in the Gem Store. This is why I ended up buying the Forged Mount/Skin because the price seemed to fit what I thought it was - a mount. If it is indeed just a skin - the description needs to be updated on the Gem Store to make that crystal clear so there is absolutely no ambiguity as to what it is players are buying.

That said - I too would prefer the option to buy the skin I want though I disagree with the 300 gems price tag. I think it needs to be in the 500-800 gem mark, not dissimilar to outfits and weapons skins. I imagine that a great deal of work goes into creating the skins and associated animations and actions. 2000 gems though is far, far too high. Ticket bundles to buy desired skins are a good idea. All of them are pretty nifty in their own way, but not all of them are must have in my world. Especially if I'm going to be using real money to buy them.

@Crossplay.2067 said:If Arenanet will sell them individually for the 300 gem price that they have set, I will purchase all 9 skins with gems.

You can't compare bundle / RNG to individual prices. Individually, they would have been more like 1000-1500 gems. Regardless, they'll likely make more money with RNG than allowing you to buy exactly what you want.

I'd have bought at least 3 of those skins for 800-1000 Gems each. 400 for a random one? No thanks.Not to mention completionists who could spend 30000 Gems to get all the skins for no reason. Compared to those who spent 9600 Gams, they lost around 200% of the income, at least on those players. Not to mention people like me. I'm no stranger to the TP, I've bought stuff to support this company, but I won't buy lootboxes. No, thanks.

Archived