Outfits vs. Armor Skins - Which do you prefer?

MrWubzy.3587

I posted a poll about this a long time ago on the old forums and got some mixed reactions. Now that there are a ton more new outfits out (with new ones on the way) I would like to see what people's opinions are nowadays with Path of Fire being released. If you have anything more to add please do make a post below.

Thanks!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I obviously prefer skins that can be earned ingame, themed to were they can be earned from and for items to have a history in the game.That said, I don't mind Outfits and when they are really well made and priced, it's a great way for me to support the devs, as are glider skins.

As long as I don't have to gamble for it.

If the whole point of end game gear in GW is fashion wars (and let's face it, there's little else when it comes to gear) why would I buy an outfit? So I can be unique with my dye choices? Please.

It's fun to mix and match gear to your tastes. I enjoy making my character look truly unique and not having any starter player with 10 pounds look exactly like I do.

But each to their own I guess.

Outfits are good for seasonal events, being fashionable while leveling, easy too switch out without ruining your main look and gives you a decent appearance out-of-the-box so to speak.

Hunting various skins and complete a certain look down to the dye make for some good time- and goldsinks and is rather enjoyable for me atleast

@Rawr.9467 said:If the whole point of end game gear in GW is fashion wars (and let's face it, there's little else when it comes to gear) why would I buy an outfit? So I can be unique with my dye choices? Please.

It's fun to mix and match gear to your tastes. I enjoy making my character look truly unique and not having any starter player with 10 pounds look exactly like I do.

But each to their own I guess.

I can see your point there. I do enjoy mixing and matching.

@Ohoni.6057 said:Nobody likes outfits, but they just keep making them anyway.

For those curious as to how that "if you don't like the RNG mount skins, just don't buy them" theory works out, this is how it works out.

People still buy them, though. I have bought a couple of them myself, though I don't use them as often on max level characters.

Armor has drawbacks. Mainly that the compartmentalized pieces leave no room for true customization so you're left with over-designed ensembles. Anyone who takes offense to my argument, I'd say look at a few dozen random characters' armor and that is all the evidence you need. The way the system works is you have 6 distinct pieces + the backpiece that you can choose from and the result often is either something nice but similar to multiple other pieces, something overly designed and gaudy or something minimalistic.

Outfits have different drawbacks, mainly that undesired parts of an outfit you might not be able to adjust at all. The advantage, of course, is that the pieces are designed in a way to fit together. Many might say that a drawback of outfits is that everyone will look the same which is both true and untrue. Someone wearing the same outfit as you might look the same if you use the same dyes, be the same race/gender, wear the same backpack and toggle the helm the same, but the same can be said for someone wearing the same armor as you. And as more outfits release, the less chance people will wear the same outfit at the same time with the same dyes, etc.

My problem with this whole outfit vs armor debate is those that defend armor while in the same breath scoff at outfits when outfits are actually better looking and more distinct than a lot of the armor pushed out. Considering my tastes, I haven't found 1 good body piece for practically any of my characters in over a year (just checked, every one of my characters is using a body piece that either released with the game or around the HoT era) which just goes to show the variety available. The last 3 outfits I bought hinged mainly on the torso design.

I like both, but use outfits more. Outfits are nice because I don't have to worry about using up my transmutation charges for a change of look. I'd like outfits better if I could turn shoulderpads off, but I still enjoy them a lot.

Armors skins are nice, and I have a ton of fun with them, but I really feel both products have a place in the game.

I would rather use armour skins to customise my look and not be a duplicate of the guy standing next to me, BUT the armour skins currently available seem to mostly be pretty crappy. I find myself using outfits just because they look better. Once I find some decent armour skins though, I will stop using outfits.

Armor over outfits to me, mostly because i dislike 95% of the outfits and the ones I do like, i'd prefer way more if i could remove a specific piece that isn't the head. And then i despise looking too similar to other people- i have a special hatred for the outfits based on npcs (like kasmeer, zolja, and marjory all have at least, amongst more).

That said, if someone has money, I can see the appeal in outfits as they transcend armor type (ie i cant put a light armor skin on a piece of heavy armor) which makes for some great themes (one of my fave themes being mesmer knights- mesmers in heavy armor outfits).

I think they both have a place. The outfits are nice, but admittedly, there are only 3-4 I use occasionally, and only 1 character 'always' uses 1 of 2 (depending on her spec). Everyone else uses mix-n-match armor. So I guess I should have said armor is more important, but I don't want to dis the outfits. :) I have one character that uses skins from Krytan, Viper and Magitech armor sets. They got me to buy 3 different armor sets because I just wanted one piece from each. Uhm...cha-ching?

More importantly, what is missing is the old mix-n-match clothing. Ideally, I wish they would have added the concept of 'an outfit', but kept 'town clothing'. If you enabled an outfit, it would override the town clothing (I guess?), or maybe an outfit was just a collection of individual pieces that all went together, but then you could mix-n-match them with other town clothing? I like that too.

But really it comes back to some of the great pieces we had before. I used to wear a sleeveless hoodie, gatherer shorts and witches boots, and that was a great outfit.

And I really don't believe (certainly don't care) the explanations they were trying to float for why that couldn't happen, because...it was already happening, and they took it away.

At the 'very' least, they should let us ask for outfits to be built out of some of the old mix-n-match pieces. That would be nice.

Archived