Nerfs that don't make sense anymore

Sunshine.5014

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2013-06-25#ElementalistLightning Flash: This skill is no longer a stun breaker. Increased damage by 50%. Reduced the cooldown to 40 seconds.This was nerfed because of the D/D bunker/runaway meta. Ride the Lightning was nerfed hard. There is no reason to keep this nerf for Lightning Flash, especially when this only has 900 range, while the Mesmer's Blink has 1200 range and does stun break (and even has lower cooldown!)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blink

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2015-09-29#ElementalistBurning Fire: This trait will no longer grant might when a cantrip is used.This was nerfed because of D/D Cele running rampaged in PvP. Cele Amulet has been removed and Sigil of Battle was nerfed. This trait nerf doesn't make sense anymore. This trait is too weak as is.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blinding_AshesIncreased the recharge of this trait from 5 seconds to 8 seconds.This trait is on a borderline. 5s cooldown is too strong, but 8s is too weak. I think 7s might be the sweet spot.

Blinding ashes at 6 or 7 seconds should definitely be a thing now. The Fire line is incredibly weak defensively compared to literally every other traitline for Ele. The automatic Cleansing Fire is nice but very unreliable and Blinding Ashes is barely noticeable now that there's so much aoe and multi hit skills.

Ride the lightening - people couldn't stand opponents running away but somehow it is alright for thief/warrior/ranger.Might stacking via evasive arcana - "no class should be able to self stack 25 might" yet we have warriors, engis and probably more doing this all the time these days.Moving Bolt to the heart into gm section - we really needed that damage.

@Nutshel.7264 said:Ride the lightening - people couldn't stand opponents running away but somehow it is alright for thief/warrior/ranger.Might stacking via evasive arcana - "no class should be able to self stack 25 might" yet we have warriors, engis and probably more doing this all the time these days.Moving Bolt to the heart into gm section - we really needed that damage.

Brother pls...no more of this, do not make me think about all this...my blood pressure is raising rapidly thinking about all the balancing process going at anet...office politics at their best

If I remember correctly, part of the reasoning behind splitting the stun breaks across different skill types for all classes was to ensure that a player could have a stun breaker if they went all-in on one skill type. While I do agree that lightning flash is pretty unremarkable in combat as opposed to its vanilla version, making it a stunbreak would mean armor of earth would no longer be a stunbreak.

Personally, I'd prefer if lightning flash had a shorter cooldown such as 20-25 seconds or an additional effect such as granting 2 seconds of arcane shield or anything that could make it more interesting as an escape tool than an aggressive gap closer. When I use lightning flash, it's for open world movement or combat repositioning. However, with mounts on the way, that renders exploration using lightning flash a bit of a moot point.

@DanteZero.9736 said:If I remember correctly, part of the reasoning behind splitting the stun breaks across different skill types for all classes was to ensure that a player could have a stun breaker if they went all-in on one skill type. While I do agree that lightning flash is pretty unremarkable in combat as opposed to its vanilla version, making it a stunbreak would mean armor of earth would no longer be a stunbreak.

Personally, I'd prefer if lightning flash had a shorter cooldown such as 20-25 seconds or an additional effect such as granting 2 seconds of arcane shield or anything that could make it more interesting as an escape tool than an aggressive gap closer. When I use lightning flash, it's for open world movement or combat repositioning. However, with mounts on the way, that renders exploration using lightning flash a bit of a moot point.

...Armor of earth was always a stun break.

Glyph of elemental powers was made a stunbreak. A really... weird decision to say the least.

@DanteZero.9736 said:If I remember correctly, part of the reasoning behind splitting the stun breaks across different skill types for all classes was to ensure that a player could have a stun breaker if they went all-in on one skill type.

The reasoning they gave us was "people are using cantrips and no other utilities! We have to nerf cantrips to make other utilities more desirable" - if I remember correctly the effect was such that people still used cantrips exclusively because all other utilities were, and there is no other way to phrase it, just shit.

I agree with moving the stun breaks to other skills. Having all the stun breaks on only cantrips is not a good game design. It locks players into taking a cantrip if they want a stun break, which limits build options.

That being said, I think many of the nerfs are "out-of-date" and should be considered for "un-nerfing". Ride the lightning cool-down is a prime example. I chased a druid across the map for 15 minutes the other day in WvW. You couldn't do that with RTL before the nerf, let alone after. How many off-hand dagger ele's do you see in WvW today?

Their weakness has always been the inability or refusal to revaluate any previous nerfs. The elementalist is indeed the best example for this.Look at RTL. The first nerf was needed at the time but you could already have argued about the second nerf being too much even back then. Nowadays however, It is completely outclassed by the majority of mobility options which have been added since then and to about every class.

I am not saying other skills should not have stun breakers but there is no reason why cantrips shouldn't have them - or something else nice since they were designed as stun breakers to begin with - longs cd. I would like to see cd reduced and range increased on lightening flash. Or better yet make it 2 charge skill with 30 sec recharge and 5-12sec cd. Cleansing fire should give immunity to conditions(applying them) for 3 sec after usage. Armor should probably give some barrier. Mist form needs something but not sure what, or lower cd instead. Tornado should be shroud like effect - not disabling primary skills.

Ride the lightning was intended to be a gap closer. The fact that an opponent dodging it and making the cooldown longer is bad design and will never be reverted. 20seconds base on it is fair.

Funnily enough, Rune of the DeadEye is going to give 2 stacks of might every time a cantrip is used. You can run a might build again, though I don't believe you would get increased might duration.

Blinding Ashes seems really good on Weaver since burns will be split instead of just in fire attunement. I agree that 6-7 seconds would make it a must.

Archived