Scourge is still breaking WvW...

gmmg.9210

"The reaper specialization from Heart of Thorns™ is seeing a few significant changes in this update, primarily centered around Reaper's Shroud. We drastically increased the damage of all shroud attacks while simultaneously increasing the rate at which life force is lost while in shroud."

Glad to see the HoT Reaper get some changes but there's an elephant in the room that's causing quite the pirate ship meta to continue. And frankly I was surprised to see no significant changes to this class. Even Spellbreaker got a cooldown increase from 8 to 12 seconds with Full Counter, but nothing for Scourge??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scourge was already nerfed hard twice in two recent updates. For scourge to do effective damage you basically have to spam everything, which is not always preferable but its the best way to maximize damage. It is not as strong as some would think, you don't really rely on any one strong individual skill for high spike/burst damage. What makes Scourge effective is when they group up En Masse. This allows them to dish out a ton of damage, boon corruption, and barriers for allies.

Spellbreaker on the other hand, one well timed Winds can make or break a fight. Full counter needed a nerf in regards to increasing the cooldown, it was basically carrying the class.

@gmmg.9210 said:"The reaper specialization from Heart of Thorns™ is seeing a few significant changes in this update, primarily centered around Reaper's Shroud. We drastically increased the damage of all shroud attacks while simultaneously increasing the rate at which life force is lost while in shroud."

Glad to see the HoT Reaper get some changes but there's an elephant in the room that's causing quite the pirate ship meta to continue. And frankly I was surprised to see no significant changes to this class. Even Spellbreaker got a cooldown increase from 8 to 12 seconds with Full Counter, but nothing for Scourge??

I was surprised too. Guess my pause from WvW will be longer.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Anet arent happy until 50 man zergs consist of 98% necros.

Anet have been fine with 50 man zergs consisting of 40% guards with half the classes having zero to minimal presence, for 5 years, why would anyone who is not new to the game still be suffering from the delusion that they care the slightest about class balance in WvW?

@gmmg.9210 said:"The reaper specialization from Heart of Thorns™ is seeing a few significant changes in this update, primarily centered around Reaper's Shroud. We drastically increased the damage of all shroud attacks while simultaneously increasing the rate at which life force is lost while in shroud."

You’re failing to articulate exactly why Scourge is “breaking wvw”.

@Coldtart.4785 said:Pirate ship is solely because of winds of disenchantment. Scourge is actually really bad at just about everything wvw related but people have managed to convince themselves that it's the cause of all the world's ills.Haha wat?

Pirateshipping is because of the gazillion circles on the ground where you walk a meter and instantly get 4+ condis and a fear. Thats not eating a bomb, thats just moving at max distance. Old 50 man zergs used to have like 10 necros. Current zergs have more in the range of 30.

You're right, necromancer is breaking wvw(stopped by wvw and this is what we all saw, ele's 1 shotting players and zerges everywhere)by the time they nearly wiped out the zerges, no necromancer were found aliveAbsolutely! None

I will tell you what is breaking WvW,The Continual Refusal To Deal With The Root Cause Of WvW

It seems Scourges were built with the idea of being absolutely bonkers in close quarters but at a great disadvantage in ranged fights. I find that approach to be quite balanced. Introduce a strong side and a weak side to all classes and make each class hard countered by another promotes comp diversity in an interesting way.

@Shadowresli.3782 said:can someone explain to me, why pirate ship is so bad (or better, disliked)?

Because it makes half the classes useless?Melee classes aren't going to push when they get completely boon stripped or boon corrupted, cc'd and then bombed hard on.You end up with 20 min standstills of people just throwing red circles into the empty area between them, not exactly "fun".

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@Shadowresli.3782 said:can someone explain to me, why pirate ship is so bad (or better, disliked)?

Because it makes half the classes useless?Melee classes aren't going to push when they get completely boon stripped or boon corrupted, cc'd and then bombed hard on.You end up with 20 min standstills of people just throwing red circles into the empty area between them, not exactly "fun".

Boonball makes the other half useless. Range is useless when there's an invulnerable ball of boonstacked melee destroying literally everything in its path that can't be slowed, cc'd, or broken in any way.

Pirate shipping is actually not the current most effective strategy. Naval ramming is the most effective. You "pirate ship" around for the first 5-6 seconds of an engagement to soften them up and then ram full force into their group from one side or the other. A group stacked in Firebrands/Spellbreakers will still always beat a group stacked in scourges if lead correctly.

@GottFaust.5297 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:

Boonball makes the other half useless. Range is useless when there's an invulnerable ball of boonstacked melee destroying literally everything in its path that can't be slowed, cc'd, or broken in any way.

Pirate shipping is actually not the current most effective strategy. Naval ramming is the most effective. You "pirate ship" around for the first 5-6 seconds of an engagement to soften them up and then ram full force into their group from one side or the other. A group stacked in Firebrands/Spellbreakers will still always beat a group stacked in scourges if lead correctly.

That is not how pirate ship works on this game, u simple cant get in melee due the massive aoe spam as self counter to melee group entering in close combat, theres the 111 cleave spam, aoes, no matter even avoiding the redcircles u will be "tackled, condi spammed" while even no one is targeting u directly,

GW2 is a game to carry its pve players on other envirotments... btyy stack n spam, WvW is all about leech what is more effortless to play and stack with numbers for rewards track farming.

Theres nothign Anet will change from the classes to balance their gameplay game wide.. since classes needed to behave like this to give that kewl action aspect while mmsotly being carried with class(build) oveperformance.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@GottFaust.5297 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:

That is not how pirate ship works on this game, u simple cant get in melee due the massive aoe spam as self counter to melee group entering in close combat, theres the 111 cleave spam, aoes, no matter even avoiding the redcircles u will be "tackled, condi spammed" while even no one is targeting u directly,

GW2 is a game to carry its pve players on other envirotments...

It's cool, don't believe me.

I honestly could care less if you believe it or not.

The fact is: that's how it works in T1/2 at this time. All of the competitive guild groups are doing pretty much exactly what I describe to great effect. You bait out the bomb, then counterbomb and finally circle to the left and right to ram into then through them. "Pirate Ship Scourge" has some very, very easily exploitable weaknesses.

@GottFaust.5297 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:

Boonball was nerfed like a year ago, now it's back to pirate ship because of all the new boon strip and corruption sources with the expansion. There's a balance between the two that they should be aiming for, not going to the extreme of either side, which we have already experienced in wvw over the years. It will continue to happen because of their stupid love for boons vs condition combat.

Lastly, I'd take boonball over pirate ship even though I play mostly range characters, just for the fact that it actually still gets you to fight and not standing around for 20 mins throwing spells into empty spaces.

Hammer train meta still best meta.

None is invulnerable as the boons can be ripped easily and the moment your stab and resistance is ripped you die instantly to the necro blob. The issue if the necro blobs is how they stack with numbers. If you have one, it suxx, if you have 5, easily beatable range pressure, you have 10, balanced, you have 40 = If they are at least semi competent they one-shot everything that gets in range. The melee balls in my opinion work only against weak and incompetent enemies, the good ones will save the big stuff for the moment you push and they will just carpetbomb you and you have no real chance. Maybe you can get in if you get lucky spellbreaker incursion and you all dodge perfectly but its not gonna happen. Never seen it happen.

99% Of instant large group wipes Iv seen lately have been either the group pushing in to another that had overwhelming number of necros, or pushed straight in to enemy spellbreaker bubble. Sure there have been some melee pushes that wiped the enemy, but when it worked it was mostly completely incompetent enemy that did not press any skills.

@Miyafuji.1340 said:None is invulnerable as the boons can be ripped easily and the moment your stab and resistance is ripped you die instantly to the necro blob. The issue if the necro blobs is how they stack with numbers. If you have one, it suxx, if you have 5, easily beatable range pressure, you have 10, balanced, you have 40 = If they are at least semi competent they one-shot everything that gets in range. The melee kitten in my opinion work only against weak and incompetent enemies, the good ones will save the big stuff for the moment you push and they will just carpetbomb you and you have no real chance. Maybe you can get in if you get lucky spellbreaker incursion and you all dodge perfectly but its not gonna happen. Never seen it happen.

99% Of instant large group wipes Iv seen lately have been either the group pushing in to another that had overwhelming number of necros, or pushed straight in to enemy spellbreaker bubble. Sure there have been some melee pushes that wiped the enemy, but when it worked it was mostly completely incompetent enemy that did not press any skills.

I'm getting the feeling we're playing in completely different tiers on completely different server groups.

On NA T1/2 pretty much every competitive fight is ended by the group that manages to push into and through the enemy after baiting their condi bomb. Yes: if you waltz directly into 40+ scourge bombs you'll get annihilated. The thing is: no one actually does that. You bait it out, then circle around it and hit them from the side with your ram. The only time I've seen what you described there is T4 "cloud formation" pub groups without a competent commander or none what-so-ever. They all just sit in these spread out blob/lines and throw circles in the gulf between themselves and the other group(s). Groups like that last mere seconds against any competitive guild group doing what I described earlier. Firebrand and Spellbreaker are the kings of the current state of WvW.

Archived