Irenio and "shotgun" abilities.

sevenDEADLY.5281

Whatever happened to the discussion Irenio had about "shotgun" abilities such as shortbow 2 and MH axe 2 being poor game designs? I had a sense that those two abilities were going to be changed for the better in the future after that comment. It's been quite some time since that comment was made now and nothing has changed.

Looks like PvE Instances/Raid balancing > other modes, for Ranger, as you can see in the past few balance patches. People would cry if their shotgun skills were changed to be harder to land and less effective.

It is why they are kept that way and the popular super OP damage Splitblade is still unsplitted from PvP. /s

@Krispera.5087 said:Looks like PvE Instances/Raid balancing > other modes, for Ranger, as you can see in the past few balance patches. People would cry if their shotgun skills were changed to be harder to land and less effective.

It is why they are kept that way and the popular super OP damage Splitblade is still unsplitted from PvP. /s

Are you daft? The revenant "shotgun" for shortbow is terrible in PvE, and mainhand axe isn't even used in PvE after dagger came into the picture. Condi druid is dead, condi renegade is far superior so only healer druid is relevant, which doesn't use mainhand axe.

@Zenith.7301 said:

@Krispera.5087 said:Looks like PvE Instances/Raid balancing > other modes, for Ranger, as you can see in the past few balance patches. People would cry if their shotgun skills were changed to be harder to land and less effective.

Are you daft? The revenant "shotgun" for shortbow is terrible in PvE, and mainhand axe isn't even used in PvE after dagger came into the picture. Condi druid is dead, condi renegade is far superior so only healer druid is relevant, which doesn't use mainhand axe.

Did you read ? I just said

People would cry if their shotgun skills were changed to be harder to land and less effective.

Which applies to Rev Shortbow 3.

Yes MH Axe is not used anymore since the Dagger buff, then ANet has no reason to still keep the split on the PvP higher damaging version of the skill (Or even change it, now that Dagger took its place). Which had no reasons to be split since the beginning. Will it change the raid meta dps ? No, it won't. It's just something they did for no reason. Were they afraid that Splitblade would... do something better !?

I think you missed the /s. They won't change shotgun skills, because they work well in PvE Instances/Raids.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the easiest approach would be making these skills to cause AoE after hitting a foe.

• Axe 2 would split after the hit, launching piercing fragments to all directions that damage and bleed.
  • Shortbow 2 would explode after the hit, launching piercing poison projectiles (like in a whirl finisher).

Hope they don't forget this, because I'm still not a big fan of such skills.

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:I didn't mean necessarily that those two abilities would become any weaker, just that their mechanic would hopefully be changed to a better mechanic that allowed for them to be used at range to the same effect since they are both ranged weapons. That was the impression I got from Irenio's comments.

If they were changed so that they do full damage at range, they surely would not be allowed to keep the same damage. Melee skills are usyally srtonger because risk/reward and stuff and ranged attacks weaker. Suppose the skills are balanced such that you have to be in the harms way to get the full effect, if that was changed to safe/ranged, the maximum damage would be nerfed. So yea.. I think they would become weaker. Condi ranger is pretty much a melee class that happens to have some medium range attacks.

Archived