Custom avatars.

FOX.3582

Just like the title suggests, I want to be able to upload the avatar I use in all forums and social media! Whoohoo! Thumbs up for the new forum.PS: The phone version could be a little more professional. :p (Sometimes it doesn't fit the screen or some stuff is overlapping).

I don't think that will be an option unless Anet changes their mind on security issues.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/114704#Comment_114704

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:About uploading personal avatars: That is something we are not planning to implement, as (1) we cannot host images here for security purposes and (2) allowing the linking to off-site images can create... er... problems when the images are self-chosen but, perhaps, not self-moderated. That's my attempt at putting things subtly, but do you get what I'm saying there? The ability to link to images on third-party sites can lead to poor choices, like Balthazar in a bubble bath, dogs and cats living together, Faren in a speedo... oh wait... ;)

Anyway, to keep things on an even keel, we're going to host avatars, but we'll definitely look into expanding the choices in the future!!

I'm fine with how they've decided to do it. It limits our self-expression, but also protects us from the bad taste of others :p And yeah, I'm totally ok with that and I support dress codes at schools. Get off my lawn!

Character portraits ... I was about to support that then remembered how many obnoxious infusions there are in the game, so nope. I'm fine with this. Yes, I'm a stick in the mud.

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:i am good with the way they are now . i think they changed this and let people upload their own . that be bring a whole lot of problems and so forth . pretty sure anet does not want to go down that road. and honestly can not blame them for it

Yeah I understand. Al those other websites like YouTube or Twitter have so much problems with people uploading their own image... I always wonder how Arenanet gets away with this lame excuses, just tell me you don't WANT to do it instead of making stuff up.

@Odokuro.5049 said:What about avatars like WoW's forum's have, you can choose a character, and get a avatar of their head.

That's what it looked like they were originally wanting to do back in the day when they had shadowed characters, which was probably as a dream goal, but forum development was abandoned early on. I doubt they'll try for a complex solution like WoW, but they could at least make a generic cache of every gender and race with a few hair and skin styles and colors. With these generic avatars, they'd be better off hiding them, which looks a lot better as they're especially wasteful on the main pages.

Archived