Revenant fixed?

BrokenGlass.9356

So, the only things people are complaining about...

The sword redesign (on a weapon nobody used anyways...)The loss of equilibrium (a tiny 1k burst that was difficult to pull off, and only mattered in PvP.)And the nerf to mace 3. (fair to be mildly upset here.)

Yet nobody has addressed the best parts of the patch.

1st: enough bonus damage to have invocation compete with devistation.

2nd: enough energy from our new invocation grandmaster to completely fix the complaints of every "revenant's nrg mechanic should be overhauled, here's how" thread under the sun.

3rd: the burst they removed with equilibrium, they gave you back in spades with off hand sword.

4th: the revamp to the grandmaster traits in renegade means that condi Rev can upgrade citadel bombardment..... More burning anyone?

5th: synergy with the new 'cast a spell on legend swap' helps condi herald alot. Check out that chill when swapping to glint.

Look folks, I'm just saying. The people complaining now, aren't the people complaining yesterday.

We get it, you have to mess with your beloved PvP build. That's OK. So did I, I just don't hate it.

And perhaps a few WvW folk have a point.... Except that other class changes might cover the zerg v zerg interaction. Perhaps, there's another role revenant is supposed to play I'm WvW?

But let's not ask that question. Let's just talk about how evil it is they swapped out one block in a world where firebrand ejaculate aegis all over everyone. Let complain that our old ranged weapon can't make spike numbers quite as big every so often, when the new elite spec is pretty obviously designed to support zergs. (yes I know folk can still target the warband. I still feel your pain there. I'm not blind.)

Anyway. My point?

Revenant is much more fun to play than is has been in forever. They fixed 90% of everything and gave us shiny new shit we didn't even expect... And if you only read the fourms and not the patch notes, you'd think a-net took a tour skinning the family pets of revenant players....

Come on people. If you've got time to bitch on the fourms.... You have time to log in, bite the bullet, and go fuck around with a build calculator. Don't tell the rest of us how damn bad it is, when we know exactly how bad it isn't.

The changes are exciting, and we got more overhauls than what we usually would. I don't think they are perfect, though, and they will further need some polish.

1. The energy trait is a bandaid fix to a core issue. It won't either be strong enough to be picked, or it'll be mandatory in all builds. My hope is that Anet is simply experimenting with this trait to see if or how they should fix revenant's energy problems in the future.
  2. The off-hand sword is more exciting and more in-line with main hand sword and shiro's assassin playstyle. However, it is too similar to axe now, which I feel it is a fail considering that the whole point of the overhaul was to create a unique identity.
  3. Renegade needs skill revamps as well, not just damage buffs. It's clear Anet was focused on overhauling other aspects of the profession this patch, but let's hope the next one actually brings meaningful changes to the shortbow and kalla. That being said, F2-F4 buffs and grandmaster trait improvements were a good thing.

Those are my issues with the patch. As with all changes, players will first complaint that their builds will no longer exist, and then adapt. Equilibrium's instant burst was not good damage design, regardless of how useful it may or may not have been.

Overall, I agree. I'm excite to test out some build but there's a few things I have to point out. The removal of equilibrium hurts WvW players more than PvP as it is often combined with Hydromancy. And since gear actually matters, it wasn't a pitiful 1k burst. All power revenants can use it, even hammer revs(hammer 3 legend swap on hit). Overall, I like the offhand sword change but the mobile block removal pushes revs into backliners even further. WvW is the only place we have a chance at build diversity compared to the meta staleness in PvP so I can see why people are upset. Short-term, yes the new changes are fun and exciting. I was looking forward to some real kalla changes, not some number tweaks that looked like it was done in 5 minutes. Although I hate playing condi, we got a new toy this expac and the changes did nothing to help renegade. Long term, I agree with @"DiogoSilva.7089" and the new GM trait is a halfway fix for the energy issue. Many people suggest starting and swapping energy should be at 100. After initial testing, I feel 75 should be baseline with no weird "at or under 10 energy" conditions. Another thread pointed out that Invocation is the new trickery and I have to agree. This traitline is now a mandatory.

I see your point on #1. It did make invocation a must take line.

On #2 I agree it does feel too much like axe. It's fun, and cool... But Shiro has a shadowstep... We didn't need more of them. But that's not so much a complaint per se.... Just that I would have made a different skill for the 5 key. But hey.... More burst dmg is good. Shadowsteps are good if they cost less energy than phase traversal.

I'm #3.... I hope the damage buffs to SB work in raid encounters where you need ranged. Dunno haven't tested it yet. Although it's still too slow and clunky as a pvp weapon. (although I don't see why it isn't solid against a large zerg. But I don't play WvW much so.... Grain of salt)

I see that you are looking at the changes from a PvE perspective, and in that perspective the changes are indeed non significant, but be a bit more realistic, if you don't play a certain game mode, it doesn't mean that you can justify what you said with a remark like "only mattered in PvP".

Look, the changes made Revenant worse than what it was before the patch, and it was NOT in a good position at that time... (Speaking from a PvP/WvW side).

Accepting all and and every change with compliance thinking that the ones that made the change are always right and that we must comply to every of their actions is quite a bit resembling to dictatorship, don't you agree ?

That's how a System / Community (In this case the Game and it's Community) slowly dies out.

I wouldn't say Rev is fixed but it's not any more broken than previous. Herald still does roughly the same mediocre dps, Renegade still does roughly the same dps, base Rev is still bugged and now loses a block. But overall nothing horrible. Sword changes aren't super worthwhile since it's now a slightly worse axe with a slight dps increase that won't do much of anything in improving its place in pve, while making the OH slightly more useable in competitive. Roiling mists will still be taken over slightly more energy in most cases. SB had slight improvements but still has issues, spirits still have issues, the class is still overall suffering from bugs and a feeling of incompleteness. So, yes, was this update wasn't horrible but it didn't fix a lot of the issues people were complaining about which is why there are a lot of angry people. Frankly, this really didn't do much to affect me other than losing the block on sword OH which I used quite regularly and being forced to use Crystal hibernation sucks. Otherwise, it didn't improve or destroy my place in anything.

In conclusion, is Rev fixed? No. Is this a step in the right direction? Yes. Could this update have been better? Yes. Is it a horrible patch? No. The only thing that really got hurt by this is base Rev which lost a block.

People who are saying offhand sword is better are probably all pve players. The thing is it is barely better for pve, while being considerably worse for pvp. You think it's better for pve because sword 5 has a big number? It's not, because that big number cost 20 energy, 20 energy you could spend auto attacking with shiro quickness for more damage. Sword 4 is like a slight dps increase from just auto attacking. It looks better for pve, but it's really not.

If they just reduce the cd on 4 to 10 seconds and 5 to 15 seconds, and the energy cost on 5 to 15, It would be better. That and/or completely rework sword 5 animation, currently it feels so slapped together and clunky, sword 5 just doesn't even land half the time.

@Flauvious.6195 said:People who are saying offhand sword is better are probably all pve players. The thing is it is barely better for pve, while being considerably worse for pvp. You think it's better for pve because sword 5 has a big number? It's not, because that big number cost 20 energy, 20 energy you could spend auto attacking with shiro quickness for more damage. Sword 4 is like a slight dps increase from just auto attacking. It looks better for pve, but it's really not.

If they just reduce the cd on 4 to 10 seconds and 5 to 15 seconds, and the energy cost on 5 to 15, It would be better. That and/or completely rework sword 5 animation, currently it feels so slapped together and clunky, sword 5 just doesn't even land half the time.

To expand upon this I did a dps test last night (no food/utilities and realistic buffs) and using sword 5 was a dps loss while sword 4 was a slight dps increase (800 dps) vs just main hand sword auto and Precision Strike. Not worth using sword 5 in rotation.

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:

4th: the revamp to the grandmaster traits in renegade means that condi Rev can upgrade citadel bombardment..... More burning anyone?

I think Lasting Legacy would still be more dps than Vindication... Could be wrong, but 5% flat condi dmg and 100 ferocity across the board should easily beat adding 5 more missiles to CB.

What is interesting though is that a Condi Rev can easily keep up 25 stacks of might for their sub now at the cost of maybe 1k dps loss for including Heroic Command in their rotation.

Archived