Dishonor, Crashes, and Winning.

narcx.3570

If you logged back in quickly enough to still have a long respawn timer, that should mean you relogged within ninety seconds. You shouldn't get dishonor in that case. If you have frequent disconnects that cost your team the game, you deserve to get that dishonor. I do agree that you shouldn't get dishonor if you end up winning the game, though.

@OlrunTheBlade.1486 said:If you have frequent disconnects that cost your team the game, you deserve to get that dishonor. I do agree that you shouldn't get dishonor if you end up winning the game, though.

Ok, we agree if you win you shouldn't get dishonor. That's only logical.

But why do I deserve dishonor if I get a disconnect? The game client isn't really realiable sometimes and disconnects, so that's my fault also? And now let's talk about internet providers - I have a lowest speed (about 6 mb/s and I'm fine with that) which is of course the cheapest. And yes, in peak hours when lot of people connect speed can drop, and sometimes when it's really bad weather outside also. So, it's also my fault that if I get disconnected for not having thefastest internet connection? Well, the fact is that I work 2 jobs to pay for my scholarship and earn some money for living and excuse me if I decide to cut back on something not that important as internet connection. As far as disconnects go, I get one once/twice a month and that's when I'm playing the game every day for a few hours and mostly the client disconnects itself. So, by your logic every dishonor I get for this is deserved? I say it isn't, and only dereved dishonors should be for afking, throwing matches adn things like that but sadly you don't get dishonor for that. I play PvP and GW2 in general because I like it and it's fun not to get bashed for something that in 4/5 cases is out of my control.

@chibi.2537 said:

@OlrunTheBlade.1486 said:If you have frequent disconnects that cost your team the game, you deserve to get that dishonor. I do agree that you shouldn't get dishonor if you end up winning the game, though.

But why do I deserve dishonor if I get a disconnect? The game client isn't really realiable sometimes and disconnects, so that's my fault also? And now let's talk about internet providers - I have a lowest speed (about 6 mb/s and I'm fine with that) which is of course the cheapest. And yes, in peak hours when lot of people connect speed can drop, and sometimes when it's really bad weather outside also. So, it's also my fault that if I get disconnected for not having thefastest internet connection? Well, the fact is that I work 2 jobs to pay for my scholarship and earn some money for living and excuse me if I decide to cut back on something not that important as internet connection. As far as disconnects go, I get one once/twice a month and that's when I'm playing the game every day for a few hours and mostly the client disconnects itself. So, by your logic every dishonor I get for this is deserved? I say it isn't, and only dereved dishonors should be for afking, throwing matches adn things like that but sadly you don't get dishonor for that. I play PvP and GW2 in general because I like it and it's fun not to get bashed for something that in 4/5 cases is out of my control.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell between a player induced crash and a error induced crash or a network related dc and a cord puller.With more cord pullers and force quitters than legit dced player.... it makes more sense to keep the system in place.

@Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

@chibi.2537 said:

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell between a player induced crash and a error induced crash or a network related dc and a cord puller.With more cord pullers and force quitters than legit dced player.... it makes more sense to keep the system in place.

That's what I still don't understand. How can Arenanet not at least tell if someone was dc-ed because client crashed or network related. That seems to me it shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Ok, let's keep the system in place even though mybe half the times players didn't do anything to cause dc. But I think report system is long overdue for some changes and should be connected to dishonor.

@chibi.2537 said:

Nobody is saying you should be ashamed of having a slow internet connection. But if it isn't dependable then you are making a choice to risk putting your team in a bad spot because of your bad internet. And how is ANet supposed to be able to tell when you get d/ced because of your bad internet connection vs you just pulling the plug to your router? I get that internet is expensive and not a priority but you can't expect a company to cater to you just because you can't afford a reliable internet connection.

For what its worth, I have had GW2 randomly crash on me once in the past 3 months or so since I came back and I play every day. GW2's client seems pretty stable so I have a feeling what you are seeing is more your side than theirs.

Ok, I get all that. I understand that I let my team down, but why do people become so resentful. It's just a game, and even if it was something else you can't always control every aspect of something, and you can't always win and have everything your way. I came to terms with dc every now and then and silently wait for dishonor to pass, but do I think I deserved it? No, I don't. And if that happens once a month or less, what's the big deal?

@chibi.2537 said:Ok, I get all that. I understand that I let my team down, but why do people become so resentful. It's just a game, and even if it was something else you can't always control every aspect of something, and you can't always win and have everything your way. I came to terms with dc every now and then and silently wait for dishonor to pass, but do I think I deserved it? No, I don't. And if that happens once a month or less, what's the big deal?

In your case it might not be fair to get labeled with dishonor for something out of your control. But in plug pullers it is. ANet cannot determine when it is one or the other so made the decision to punish D/C regardless in an effort to dissuade plug pulling. This seems reasonable to me.

The dishonor timer is relatively short, isn't it? I've gotten it a couple times randomly when I click "accept" and it immediately kicks me out of queue and gives me dishonor (only happened twice and both times when queued with a friend, dunno). Inconvenient but it didn't seem to last long. Its what, 15min or something?

If its only happening once a month or less then it doesn't seem like something worth complaining about. Its something to dissuade plug pullers from abandoning matches. If they were to remove the system to not punish legit D/Cs then you would see more plug pulling. Unfortunately, people abusing a system are often the reason for rules getting put in place that are inconvenient for everyone else. That's just how life works.

@chibi.2537 said:

@chibi.2537 said:

That's what I still don't understand. How can Arenanet not at least tell if someone was dc-ed because client crashed or network related. That seems to me it shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Ok, let's keep the system in place even though mybe half the times players didn't do anything to cause dc. But I think report system is long overdue for some changes and should be connected to dishonor.

Because all of them for the most part cut off network communications the same way so long as the crash is not a handled crash (the one which shows an error or report crash pop up is a handled crash). And would require a second tool running in the background (see spyware) checking if the game had crashed and what the player did just before.

@ibkillin.9610 said:Don't hold your breath, I've experienced at least 12 matches this season where I get stuck in the terrain and have to log out and back in to basically fix it giving me dishonor and an auto 30 second respawn timer. Usually that costs my team the game.

Same, I got stuck in a wall at Skyhammer 3 times now, always need to re-log or wait for enemy to kill me (what never happens because well - it's an advantage for them).

@Aoi.8570 said:

@ibkillin.9610 said:Don't hold your breath, I've experienced at least 12 matches this season where I get stuck in the terrain and have to log out and back in to basically fix it giving me dishonor and an auto 30 second respawn timer. Usually that costs my team the game.

Same, I got stuck in a wall at Skyhammer 3 times now, always need to re-log or wait for enemy to kill me (what never happens because well - it's an advantage for them).

One of the pro's of playing revenant is you can Phase Traversal out being stuck because your target doesn't actually have to be in range to teleport towards them.

Then again, all of our STILL glitchy patting gets us stuck all the time, so I guess it's needed. :pensive:

@Omcrazy.4756 said:

@chibi.2537 said:

Nobody is saying you should be ashamed of having a slow internet connection.

You're right! He shouldn't be ashamed.

The speed of his internet doesn't have a thing to do do with the disconnects. Not a thing.

Now, go educate yourself.

@Omcrazy.4756 said:

@chibi.2537 said:

Nobody is saying you should be ashamed of having a slow internet connection. But if it isn't dependable then you are making a choice to risk putting your team in a bad spot because of your bad internet. And how is ANet supposed to be able to tell when you get d/ced because of your bad internet connection vs you just pulling the plug to your router? I get that internet is expensive and not a priority but you can't expect a company to cater to you just because you can't afford a reliable internet connection.

For what its worth, I have had GW2 randomly crash on me once in the past 3 months or so since I came back and I play every day. GW2's client seems pretty stable so I have a feeling what you are seeing is more your side than theirs.

You can't pay more money to have lower ping.

I've known people who were paying top dollar for fiber and it performed worse than what they had before.I play on a 1.5mb download and I disconnect rarely.

As for "making a choice to risk putting your team in a bad spot" /sigh, you're taking this game way too seriously.

I have one choice of internet provider where I live. Most people in the United States have 2.And if neither of those does well what other choice does the player have? Maybe they could fix the issues that are causing the problem, but then they would be doing more than expect from yourself.

In this game, if you have a DC (cauz of Anet not your fault!) or a wall glitch (Anet again), the best thing to do, for you (minimize the dishonor) and your team (don't lose points) is to not relog : just leave and wait.

Cauz each time i've got back to the game, first you've already got your dishonor, + players repport you and get more dishonor + they are very rude with you cauz they will lose the game ... (PvP mind sucks but it's an other problem)

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

@Omcrazy.4756 said:

@chibi.2537 said:

You can't pay more money to have lower ping.

I've known people who were paying top dollar for fiber and it performed worse than what they had before.I play on a 1.5mb download and I disconnect rarely.

As for "making a choice to risk putting your team in a bad spot" /sigh, you're taking this game way too seriously.

I have one choice of internet provider where I live. Most people in the United States have 2.And if neither of those does well what other choice does the player have? Maybe they could fix the issues that are causing the problem, but then they would be doing more than expect from yourself.

Person whining about dishonor system punishing them once every 1 or 2 months for D/Cing (according to them). Wants the entire system scrapped because it occasionally inconveniences them. And I am taking this game too seriously? How does that make sense? Its OK for the guy with bad internet to keep putting his team in a bad spot, but the second he isn't allowed to queue for 15min we should all feel bad for him? If you get dishonor for a D/C that's outside your control, go do something else for 15min. Might be good, maybe your connection is particularly flaking that evening and you will experience more D/Cs or lag than usual. And, if not, then hop back in the queue when you are done.

The system is in place to try and cut down on the amount of plug pulling that would go on if there wasn't a system in place. It is bound to catch people who D/C when it is outside of their control. If it happens a lot then you probably shouldn't be doing something where teammates depend on you. Yes, its just a game. But its a game some of us play in our very limited free time and constantly getting teammates that D/C ruins the match for the rest of us. And if it is NOT happening a lot, just once in a while, then the dishonor shouldn't be a big deal. Suck it up, do something else for a time, and queue when its over.

If the problems you believe Anet needs to fix include getting stuck in the wall, they have posted they are working on it and it should be reduced after Friday's patch. If you are saying that players D/Cing is due to Anet and not on their end then I think you are wrong. Yes, it may happen once in a long while. But if someone is having chronic D/Cs then that is on their end.

• 4 months later...

I've gotten dishonor 2 days in a row now for client freezing / crashing 1st wasn't able to get back in match got 13 mins. Today had to restart game got back in my match and got 22 mins of dishonor???? Not my fault your clients been crashing not just for me in PvP and only in PvP. Yet I still got my dailys and pips??? This isn't just me it's been happening to the last 2 days it's been several and needs to be fixed.

Archived