[Suggestions] armor skin ignore weight

A noble goal but it is not worth it. They would have put tons of resources into getting rid of all the clipping that medium/light/have models are bound to have. Outfits have to be in order only within their own texture and with weapons/backpack that are the same for all the weights.

As a player who played this game since release, let me clarify it for you. Wishes and polls aside, what you suggest is not possible in game's engine. Back in the day, you could actually preview multiple weights of armor at the same time, but all you got from it was a bunch of glitched out textures. Game's engine works with certain skeletons and these skeletons have different mesh for armors and pants. This is why medium armors in majority are trenchcoats, and because of different hook spots and whatever, it's impossible to effectively mix and match armor pieces that in some cases go on top of each other's hook point and literally flip your game inside out. Gloves, Boots, Helmets and Shoulders have same hook spots so that can be added across multiple weights, and won't break anything, BUT they work ONLY because they are prepared for that ahead of time, as I remember that previewing heavy pants with light/medium shoes back then also created unsettling graphical anomalies.

Technical part aside, outfits broke enough immersion already, I would prefer actually to have armor weights as they are now, to preserve at least some of classes originality.

@shejesa.3712 said:A noble goal but it is not worth it. They would have put tons of resources into getting rid of all the clipping that medium/light/have models are bound to have. Outfits have to be in order only within their own texture and with weapons/backpack that are the same for all the weights.

we already have "clipping" problem at same weight

so i don't think this is why we can't have ignore weight

ppl who wanna mix weight, he will choose the match one

@DreamyLove.8947 said:

@shejesa.3712 said:A noble goal but it is not worth it. They would have put tons of resources into getting rid of all the clipping that medium/light/have models are bound to have. Outfits have to be in order only within their own texture and with weapons/backpack that are the same for all the weights.

We don't have the kind of clipping problems that come with mixing weights. If you think clipping is bad now, you can't imagine how bad it is without the amount of testing/refinement they do.

I don't think ANet will ever do away with weights of armor. "Outfits" bypass that by creating a fourth weight (or fifth, if you include town clothes, which were also a unique weight that couldn't be mixed with the others).

What they could do is eliminate the requirement that "light armor" skins can only be worn by scholar classes. Since you can appear to be in metal armor using outfits, there's no longer a gamplay reason for the restriction. (That wouldn't be cheap to accomplish; it would just be a lot cheaper than allowing mixed weights.)

Because of outfits and standard models, I see no point on keeping armor weights separate, other than the many problems that would cause allowing to use all 3 at the same time. The 3 armor classes have separate waist lines, and medium armor keeps the 'stuff around the legs', coat tails skirts, etc attached to the torso, while light and heavy armor keep them attached to the legs.

They probably do not have the resources so fix the waist seams so they can all be mixed. It'll mean adjusting the waistline of all 3 armor classe so they match, and having the skirts and coat tails separate like the parts of gloves and boots that get hidden when we equip torsos and legs that would clip with them, and letting us choose if we want the 'skirt' or 'coat tail' that comes with the chest, the one that comes with the legs, or neither in the case of having legs that have pants underneath so we can have the just pants without long coats or skirts. And probably several animation reworks.

But once that's done armor sets would no longer need to be limited to classes. They could be anything, and work as a single set of armors instead having to manage 3 different constructions.

But an alternative could be having "custom outfit" slots that are account-wide. You get a slot and switch to a character that can equip the armor class you want. The character sets an outfit, then goes to the outfit panel, selects an outfit slots and clicks "save", they pay some transmutation charges, and that outfit gets stored in that slot, and then you switch to any other character of any armor class, and they'd be able to equip that appearance as if it was an outfit, and dye it with any colors.

There would be a few custom outfit slots for 'free': 1 for defeating Zhaitan available also for free accounts, 1 for registering a game key for any expansion, 1 for each expansion earned at the final chapter. And 1 in WvW and 1 for PvP in a non-repeatable reward track. And of course more slots for purchase for 600-800 gems each.

This way any character can equip any armor, without having to mix them.

@DreamyLove.8947 said:

not to the extent that mixing armor weights would bring. i'm not talking about bits poking into other bits, i'm talking about entire body parts going missing. these kind of issue would singlehandedly prevent games from launching nowadays. if the game introduced it with the skins as-is, it would be serious amateur-hour.

@Machiavell.7396 said:As a player who played this game since release, let me clarify it for you. Wishes and polls aside, what you suggest is not possible in game's engine. Back in the day, you could actually preview multiple weights of armor at the same time, but all you got from it was a bunch of glitched out textures. Game's engine works with certain skeletons and these skeletons have different mesh for armors and pants. This is why medium armors in majority are trenchcoats, and because of different hook spots and whatever, it's impossible to effectively mix and match armor pieces that in some cases go on top of each other's hook point and literally flip your game inside out. Gloves, Boots, Helmets and Shoulders have same hook spots so that can be added across multiple weights, and won't break anything, BUT they work ONLY because they are prepared for that ahead of time, as I remember that previewing heavy pants with light/medium shoes back then also created unsettling graphical anomalies.

Technical part aside, outfits broke enough immersion already, I would prefer actually to have armor weights as they are now, to preserve at least some of classes originality.

i think skeletons in gw2 is by race/gender

when we use same wepaen on each weightwe can see they are same action

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@DreamyLove.8947 said:

We don't have the kind of clipping problems that come with mixing weights. If you think clipping is bad now, you can't imagine how bad it is without the amount of testing/refinement they do.

I don't think ANet will ever do away with weights of armor. "Outfits" bypass that by creating a fourth weight (or fifth, if you include town clothes, which were also a unique weight that couldn't be mixed with the others).

What they could do is eliminate the requirement that "light armor" skins can only be worn by scholar classes. Since you can appear to be in metal armor using outfits, there's no longer a gamplay reason for the restriction. (That wouldn't be cheap to accomplish; it would just be a lot cheaper than allowing mixed weights.)

i am not thikng clipping is badbut also i don't thinkg that is a why we can't do ignore weight

also when u preview skinu can see all weight they near the same line base on body

and i think only reason is they don't want, they didn't do, not they can't do by current engine

ks86HDh.png

@DreamyLove.8947 said:

old topic from old forum

does anet can allow player use any weight skin on char?

we already have outfit make all class can looks like sameso why not allow us can use other weight skin on our class too?

if can , it will very coolppl can mixed skin, make more diff style

no dude, the last thing we need is a elementalist running around in full heavy plate snuffing out the last bit of individuality a class has.

not to mention like so many people have said it would be a god damn clipping nightmare

I checked out the new BL sandy weapons yesterday. The clipping on the warhorn, ugh. It's time to stop using clipping as an excuse. There are other valid reasons for things, but clipping isn't one of them and, as other's have said, let us decide. Don't be a clipping nanny state.

I'd be happy if there was an option in hero panel where we could choose the weight of our toon, and it would use whichever skeleton is appropriate. I don't need to mix different weights together. Just being able to choose the weight class would be enough for me.

People keep bringing up clipping but I don’t recall a dev saying that clipping was the problem. What the Devs did say was that the different weights are “fundamentally incompatible”. The meshes and the dye channels being different on the different weights were the two things I recall them saying as problems that kept the armors from mix and match.

If the armor weights are fundamentally incompatible then that means that it’s no small job to fix so that they can be mixed. At best I think they might be able to set up a wardrobe system where the different weights can be used like an outfit over your armor, but only within each armor weight as the incompatible dye channels will still be a UI problem in mix and match armor outfits.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:People keep bringing up clipping but I don’t recall a dev saying that clipping was the problem. What the Devs did say was that the different weights are “fundamentally incompatible”. The meshes and the dye channels being different on the different weights were the two things I recall them saying as problems that kept the armors from mix and match.

If the armor weights are fundamentally incompatible then that means that it’s no small job to fix so that they can be mixed. At best I think they might be able to set up a wardrobe system where the different weights can be used like an outfit over your armor, but only within each armor weight as the incompatible dye channels will still be a UI problem in mix and match armor outfits.

I can believe that, which is why I suggested NOT mixing weights, but at least let us choose the weight, at least in PvE to start.

In Rift, we can mix-n-match light, leather, chain and plate armor. Yes, there is clipping but we just avoid it by picking armor pieces that work well together. And the result can be totally awesome! We can even put 2handed hammer skins on staves, dagger skins on swords, etc. Even if we don't get the weapon part (I can live without that), it would be extremely AMAZING to mix-n-match armor weights in GW2, especially because we are getting less and less new armor skins to work with. :astonished:

(Edit: my English is crappy).

@Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:People keep bringing up clipping but I don’t recall a dev saying that clipping was the problem. What the Devs did say was that the different weights are “fundamentally incompatible”. The meshes and the dye channels being different on the different weights were the two things I recall them saying as problems that kept the armors from mix and match.

I can believe that, which is why I suggested NOT mixing weights, but at least let us choose the weight, at least in PvE to start.

That’s a possiblity. However since armor has stats according to weight I doubt they’ll go that route.

As above , I’m hoping for a wardrobe system.

For a more detailed explanation for others who haven’t seen this suggestion before, you keep your own armor but there will be 2 extra panels for the other weights, each with a wardrobe. On those panels you can create armor outfits using skins from within the other armor weights (no mixing/matching between weights) to toggle on over your regular armor. So, if you are heavy armor you’ll also have light and medium armor outfit panels. You can create light armor and medium armor outfits and toggle them on to look like you’re wearing that other armor weight.

@Atticus.7194 said:

@DreamyLove.8947 said:

old topic from old forum

does anet can allow player use any weight skin on char?

we already have outfit make all class can looks like sameso why not allow us can use other weight skin on our class too?

if can , it will very coolppl can mixed skin, make more diff style

no dude, the last thing we need is a elementalist running around in full heavy plate snuffing out the last bit of individuality a class has.

not to mention like so many people have said it would be a god kitten clipping nightmare

I wanted to run in a dress on my guardian. I do not see what is the problem in that. Dress your characters they way you like and I will dress mine the way I like.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:That’s a possiblity. However since armor has stats according to weight I doubt they’ll go that route.

On that note however, the defense stat on armor is almost trivial since the delta between light and heavy has virtually no impact on a defensive build which is more reliant on damage avoidance rather than reduction. For the last 2 years GW2 has been a game where the main tank is a cloth wearing class and even before that the term "bunker" was closely associated with elementalists, another cloth class. If Anet isn't going to rebalance stat values to make armor weight meaningful then they should just drop the weight distinction. As is, armor weight in this game has had no internal logic for the past five years so is there any real value in maintaining it? It's less likely that Anet will change the underlying combat systems that brought us to this point (i.e. downed state making players unkillable, requiring one-shotting mechanics regardless of armor).