Reaper vs Scourge in WvW

ilmau.9781

Just out of curiosity, who think it is even worth try to play Reaper in WvW those days when Scourge is so fucking OP compared...?

With the Scourge being so OP it was really necessary to nerf Reapers to the point they are not even worth playing....?

So, what everyone think about!!!!!!?

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Power reaper has been buffed. Not to the point of outstripping scourge or old condi reaper, but it's a step.They nerfed deathly chill too, so yes I believe that's makes it outstrip condi reaper .But of course, no one plays that anymore anyway, everyone is a scourge. I havent tried the new power reaper but I highly doubt it can compete in either zerging (scourges dominate) or roaming (power means much more glass than condi to be effective, which makes it weaker in the current climate of insta-killers).

@Choppy.4183 said:Not sure if it means anything, but I'm seeing more Reapers now than I did a few weeks ago to the point of equal distribution. Not talking about zergs... no idea what's happening there atm. Could be meaningful, or it could be a selection bias or a coincidence.

I see a lot of reapers too for some reason but it might be people testing the new changes?

Condi deathly chill reaper is dead... few important skills dead.... deathly chill nerf from 3 bleeds to 1, soul spirral (reaper 4) lowered poison on half, also cut number of whirl finishers (important dps combo...) , also plague sending nerfed. You can still try some boon corrupt / procmancer build, but now less effective.

Power reaper in wvw is really bad... tried version berserk, full marauder, or mixed zerk+valkyrie, good burst on noobs making daily, but when you met mirage, SB, thief, ranger... u are pretty screwed. You will not spend much time in shroud to do something when they kite you. In group play u must act like a thief to dont die fast...

Scourge is now way to go.... tha survivability + range bombs with corrupt... but its quite boring...

@intox.6347 said:Condi deathly chill reaper is dead... few important skills dead.... deathly chill nerf from 3 bleeds to 1, soul spirral (reaper 4) lowered poison on half, also cut number of whirl finishers (important dps combo...) , also plague sending nerfed. You can still try some boon corrupt / procmancer build, but now less effective.

Power reaper in wvw is really bad... tried version berserk, full marauder, or mixed zerk+valkyrie, good burst on noobs making daily, but when you met mirage, SB, thief, ranger... u are pretty screwed. You will not spend much time in shroud to do something when they kite you. In group play u must act like a thief to dont die fast...

Scourge is now way to go.... tha survivability + range bombs with corrupt... but its quite boring...

that sum up perfectly my point of view. Anet destroyed the Reaper and turned Scourge into a beast , basically forcing everyone to play Scourge, that my bad personally speaking is a boring class. So now i am forced to play something i do not like in order to be effective, or be casual playing uneffective specs. Either case this is a loss of fun for me and this is really sad after 1.900+ days of Gw2 and 6.000 hours

I am playing 6 different Specs atm to counter the balance blues that seem to be rampant atm. I suspect the balance frustration will persist for quite some time so mixing it up is a good counter. Changing from "OP" specs to other specs that I enjoy the concept but are a bit "UP" has made this all much less frustrating.

I have also noticed more Reapers since the patch but agree its likely just folks testing the spec.

i play power reaper in wvw. and i still do. sometimes switch to condi scourge if duel person wants to. otherwise, mostly power reaper since i play condi scourge in pve, i'm a bit burned out.haven't played since the balance yet cuz rl gets in the way. i will try to wvw this weekend and see what it's like. but i'm glad they buffed the power reaper or so i've heard.

before the patch, power reaper > condi scourge. since i main necro and engi.i can tell animations from miles away and dodge most of them. i also have plenty of condi cleanses, condi transfers and too much sustain.most of the time scourges kite away and run rather than the other way around.i also want to correct someone above when they say reaper is melee. nope. the only thing melee here is reaper shroud.that and if the reaper uses gs or dagger. every other weapon sets are all range.so both reaper and scourge have equal chances to kite and the fight would literally take awhile to end depend on which side makes the first mistake.the only hard matchups for a power reaper, before balance patch, are a good kiting scourge who knows how to use sand swell well, a mirage, and condi sb.i haven't got enough hero points for my ranger and mesmer. so i've no idea most of their attacks and animations.but for condi sb, as long as you're careful with their traps, you have an upper hand, since they're quite slow compared to druid and quite glassy.for mirage, their mobility is just too much. if they're almost dead, you can't find them. then few mins later they come back for you. back and forth like that, it's annoying.

i also test out power scourge. pretty damn good, hit like a truck but very hard to play. but that's about it.between power scourge vs condi scourge, most people would role condi to get the kills faster.i don't see why you don't play a class or a spec you like. if you play it well, it just works.i find that the best counter against scourges are necro mains. doesn't matter which spec they decide to play.

If necro had a really good Power oriented ranged weapon then Power Reaper could be really good. In the past Necros high damage came from Well bombs, but because of the long cooldowns and limited number of skills it is easily outdone by other classes nowadays. Reapers main power weapon is GS which is melee which is not very preferable with the current meta, especially if using glass gear. Tanky builds might be more useful.

Currently Scourge just offers a lot more for team play with barriers and even cleanses, and offensively with boon corruption.

@X T D.6458 said:If necro had a really good Power oriented ranged weapon then Power Reaper could be really good. In the past Necros high damage came from Well bombs, but because of the long cooldowns and limited number of skills it is easily outdone by other classes nowadays. Reapers main power weapon is GS which is melee which is not very preferable with the current meta, especially if using glass gear. Tanky builds might be more useful.

Currently Scourge just offers a lot more for team play with barriers and even cleanses, and offensively with boon corruption.

wells have to long CD at the moment to be of any use. At last compared to Scourge Shades... so the choice is easy, play Scourge or nothing.

@ilmau.9781 said:

@X T D.6458 said:If necro had a really good Power oriented ranged weapon then Power Reaper could be really good. In the past Necros high damage came from Well bombs, but because of the long cooldowns and limited number of skills it is easily outdone by other classes nowadays. Reapers main power weapon is GS which is melee which is not very preferable with the current meta, especially if using glass gear. Tanky builds might be more useful.

wells have to long CD at the moment to be of any use. At last compared to Scourge Shades... so the choice is easy, play Scourge or nothing.

Yea no argument from me about the cd about wells, my point was that the damage from necros was essentially setup for burst with those 2 utility skills. Staff is a tricky weapon, especially for power necros. Most of the skills inflict conditions, the AA is slow, and what really annoys me is that the marks don't work on downed players and siege. Axe is too focused on single target damage, so staff made a better choice for several other reasons.

@ilmau.9781 said:Just out of curiosity, who think it is even worth try to play Reaper in WvW those days when Scourge is so kitten OP compared...?

With the Scourge being so OP it was really necessary to nerf Reapers to the point they are not even worth playing....?

It really depends on how you play, how you position yourself, if you prefer being ranged or in the middle of the fight, or if you wanna poke and retreat. The profession doesn't define you, only your skills, build and squad comp.

Also... Power reaper is back:

@Raven.1524 said:

@ilmau.9781 said:Just out of curiosity, who think it is even worth try to play Reaper in WvW those days when Scourge is so kitten OP compared...?

It really depends on how you play, how you position yourself, if you prefer being ranged or in the middle of the fight, or if you wanna poke and retreat. The profession doesn't define you, only your skills, build and squad comp.

Also... Power reaper is back:

yoo, or whoever is playing a power build, most zerk/marauder into and organized group of less than 10 players and fighting a group of 15/20. Which is what you are going to do in offpeak hours in eu t1-2, this mean basically late night. During the day or even more in prime time zergs fighting are composed of 50 vs 50 and in some not really rare scenarios you also goes for 50vs50vs50, old Condi Reaper with trailblazer sets was able to play in such scenarios staying alive and not rallybotting every 10 seconds. The power build i see in the video is good as it is any other power build, weaver, daredevil, spellbreaker, dragonhunter...// when played in small scale fights with an organized group as support, nothing new, nothing magical, what you can not do is play that build in large scale WvW fights.

Archived