I get it, but why...?

First off, let me start by saying that I get the outrage of the way that the mount skins are currently being handled. It makes sense to me. The gem cost is too high for a gamble so either they should lower the cost per ticket (my thought was around 250 with bulk discounts starting from there) or make it a choice like black lion weapon tickets are. Or even at bare minimum keep the price, keep the randomness, but make it by mount category. Raptor claim ticket gives random raptor, for instance. I am on your side in this regard and would like to see the method change.

What I do not get are the comments that "They should be attainable in game" while simultaneously comparing them to glider skins. There are exactly three glider skins attainable without paying gems, the first of which was not introduced until March of 2016 (with HoT being released in October 2015, and many glider skins being released to cash shop before that). All three are legendary collections, and took the same kind of time to develop as a standard legendary weapon. I have no doubt somewhere along the line there may be a chance to obtain some legendary mount skins in game, but if we're comparing mount skins to glider skins, then the gem store should be the ONLY way of attaining new mount skins with a very very very few exceptions.

@Zeivu.3615 said:GW2's business model is free-to-play. They need revenue to keep the servers up, pay the staff and develop new content. 5 American bucks a pop isn't a lot of money considering all the work and effort they put into the skins alone.

This, obviously, isn't the point.I'll assume you just don't get the point yet and will clarify for you: People aren't mad with the prices. People are mad that they can't even know what they are buying.

@Zeivu.3615 said:GW2's business model is free-to-play. They need revenue to keep the servers up, pay the staff and develop new content. 5 American bucks a pop isn't a lot of money considering all the work and effort they put into the skins alone.

Except you need to pay 10 every time.Also, there are 30 Skins, should you get unlucky, which you most probably will, you could have to pay up to 150 USD/Eur.... 150....

@Malafaia.8903 said:

This, obviously, isn't the point.I'll assume you just don't get the point yet and will clarify for you: People aren't mad with the prices. People are mad that they can't even know what they are buying.

They can know what they are buying though. They are buying a chance at a random item. There is no trickery. If you buy this ticket, it is 100% consensual. And you have the right to not buy any of them.

Like I said, I understand the outrage of the gamble boxes. This is not the subject of the post, however... what I am not getting is why people are insisting that all mount skins should be attainable in game through collections, while simultaneously comparing them to glider skins... which are almost universally only attainable through gem purchases.

@Sojourner.4621 said:First off, let me start by saying that I get the outrage of the way that the mount skins are currently being handled. It makes sense to me. The gem cost is too high for a gamble so either they should lower the cost per ticket (my thought was around 250 with bulk discounts starting from there) or make it a choice like black lion weapon tickets are. Or even at bare minimum keep the price, keep the randomness, but make it by mount category. Raptor claim ticket gives random raptor, for instance. I am on your side in this regard and would like to see the method change.

What I do not get are the comments that "They should be attainable in game" while simultaneously comparing them to glider skins. There are exactly three glider skins attainable without paying gems, the first of which was not introduced until March of 2016 (with HoT being released in October 2015, and many glider skins being released to cash shop before that). All three are legendary collections, and took the same kind of time to develop as a standard legendary weapon. I have no doubt somewhere along the line there may be a chance to obtain some legendary mount skins in game, but if we're comparing mount skins to glider skins, then the gem store should be the ONLY way of attaining new mount skins with a very very very few exceptions.

Edit: TL;DR apparently: Glider skins all cost gems except for three legendaries... why did anyone expect (or demand in some cases) mount skins to be collection items that we are "owed"?

Also notable, $5 a skin doesn't bother me at all, the gamble does. $8 a skin wouldn't bother me... $10 would be about the limit I'd spend per skin (though if comparing to gliders, they have mostly been released between 400-700 gems each)... it's really the gamble that's a problem here.

Archived