Personal Opinon on classes

Demonic.9852

I'll start this off with, "I'd love to call myself a thief main. Not a very good one, but a main all the same."I have 18 characters currently, making sure I have something of each profession, in an attempt to understand every class possible.Quite frankly ive issues with almost all the classes, and I guess I can start with my main.

Thief: Under performing, weapon sets are spam sets for working ones, current nerfs hurt the only thing keeping thieves on top mobility wise, bad version of mesmer. (really nothing I can say here, that isnt being whined b-----ed and complained about by alot of thieves already. Needs some reworking)

Necro: While Scourge is doing decent in pvp, the overall necro class is sad when brought to light in challenging content, reaper is almost pointless at this point, only really being good for epidemic and a higher condi sustain, and then we get to the fact you have to run condi to be accepted into some higher skill level things compared to the power version which gets thrown out the window 9/10 times.

Ranger: Druid heals either need to be tweaked slightly or other healing classes need a severe buff, because honestly, the only viable healer NOW is a druid. It's the easiest thing to pug with, and the easiest thing to rez with. Base ranger I want to say will make a comeback eventually, but it's a joke besides the old condi ranger build we had going. Soulbeast (which I havent played much in honesty, so please give thoughts or tweaks) I find is in the middle of the spectrum, lacking in some good cc and good team fighting ability, while also being able to bring good survivability and damage to the table.

Mesmer: I just....the class that is now replacing thieves, has more mobility, more stealth, and can literally turn itself into a walking breathing tank now. It's not an easy class to play, (for myself) so good on the people who can play it. Personally, Id love to see mesmer becoming the illusion based damager I always thought they'd be since gw1. That or someone who can survive long enough to really lay into an enemy and with a little help, or skill, kill things twice their size. Mirage I cant answer yet cause I havent seen one personally, or bothered unlocking it. Chronotanks and backup chronos continue to dominate my experience with the class.

Elementalist: I've always seen Ele's being overpowered, fiery knockoffs of diablo. Or Zeus. At this point however, an ele is lacking in some serious ability, weaver is like playing a mental game of chess, trying to remember all the combos, tempest.....does anyone run a good tempest on something like gorseval anymore? Temp feels like the poor mans way of saying I can try. And base ele, I havent seen since Pre HoT really....

Engi: Holosmith? You mean jedi stabby stab that just stands there face tanking it all while smacking the heck out of the world? Personally, I find the damage on a few skills overpoweringor too high bursting, along with the high amounts of cc, creating a walk in the park is almost easier than saying hi to your mother. Scrapper was not a personal favourite, even though it was a decent class for a while. I cant really offer an opinion on him, since he's not played all that often in my books. Base engi, still playable, even if power is grenade spam, and condi is a piano.

Warrior: Bloody heck, I had a problem with Cc on holo? Might as well write you up the golden ticket for complain town here. Along with a few invuln builds that just negate everythng, I really feel like im Goliath and david forgot his slingshot. Much the same for spellbreaker and berserker, although, the PS nerf seems a bit rude, since a bad PS really could only give 15 at best.

Guardian: Base guard? That's a thing? Dragon hunters the way to go, till you get grievers and you want a Firebrand. Dragon hunters, even when im playing as it, are becoming a "I can push a button, place this thing, and then say i'm better than you, and in perfect pvp/wvw/haha i survived spirit, go say I did your mother. Firebrand imo is burn guardian 2.0 and will give another option to an already limited class with some playstyles.

Revenant: For a class that was absolutely despised by the community just a few months ago, it's good to see rev's making a comeback. Even if that comeback is one playstyle that you're not allowed to do any differently because if you do, you throw survivability and personal damage to the dogs. Along with the steak. Base rev, much like base guardian is almost non existant now, while herald seems to be just an offhand axe 5 and a prayer to the six that no one else is there to save you from my Unrelenting Assault. Renegade I have yet to unlock, but from what I've seen, it's sitting in a good place. Not fantastic survivabilty like old thief or mesmer right now, but can still pump out some stupidly amazing damage when need be.

Like I said, ladies and gentlemen, this is my PERSONAL opinion on alot of the classes. Feel free to leave yours, leave comments on mine, mainly ill change my own opinion if you you're courteous about the way you do it. Goodluck out there friends, and pray that the six (five?) bap some sense into anet or someone who can possibly have a good effect on our game. (played since gw1, so to see alot of the issues I see now is heartbreaking)

@FaboBabo.3581 said:DD still has more dodges and more mobility then mirage. Core thief has more stealth then any Mesmer. Dont know where u got that infos from...

In the case of mobility, it's got SB and shadow step, considering UC's changes. Yes you could use UC but it's really not worth it at the moment.Also the stealth bit. I say that because the only way a thief has more stealth, is if we run blinding powder, SR, and wall. Along with a traitline. In all fairness, I'm making the judgement I stated because mesmers have 2 skills that cause stealth, and if they really felt like it they could reuse them with chrono. Silly build yes, but still a possibility.

In any case thief stealth is really underperforming in it's usefullness besides skipping mobs in dungeons, maybe blinding powder for a quick getaway and pistol 5 along with heartseeker/bound is really usefull if the enemy doesnt see you attempting to hide. Cause most smart people aoe the heck out of the blinding powder

My personnal opinion:

Elementalist: Core used to be super fun to play, now with the various elite spec, it's a bit neglected but still worth the time. Tempest brought to the elementalist an era of stillness, simply put, it slowed down a lot the ele rythm. Weaver brought back the frenzy but maybe a bit to much to my taste at the moment (need to get back in shape and found the proper rythm)

Engineer: This profession have always been a matter of whether you find the good balance or not, it a real jack of all trade but often lived thanks to gimmicks. Scrapper was a big let down, it felt like an half *ssed rushed spec and well... it still does. I've got no real opinion on holosmith at the moment.

Guardian: Well... I've always felt that the guardian was the most brain dead profession, often very tanky, it was the perfect profession to carry casual players throught dungeon and fractal in the first years of guild wars 2, thought some of it's skills tend to suffer from their absurdly long cool down or the fact that they are very situational. DH is still a one trick pony, not really anything to say about it, it still rock. FB gave the guardian so much of everything that it's kinda confusing.

Mesmer: The most enjoyable profession to play, maybe not much sustain damage or raw tanking ability but man what an experience, I've always been in love with the playstyle. Chronomancer add utility and movement speed to the already enjoyable mesmer... Thank you anet! Mirage, seem awesome.

Necromancer: Ah I've got a long long history with this one. One history of both love and hate. This is the ufo of gw2, the one whose design is so vastly different of every other profession that it's scary. It got it's uses, it's tricks but always count on it's health pool without really taking advantage of it. If we were using the theory of evolution to look at him, we would probably wonder how it ended up like this. Reaper is probably the coolest thing of the game but have always suffered from it's base the core necromancer. Scourge need work... like a lot of work. The design is as awesome as the reaper's but don't really feel polished and balanced.

Ranger: This one have been a roller coaster in the first years and it's most glaring issue have always been it's pet (that need work!). Druid was my bigest disappointment and I still hate this whole avatar thingy. Soulbeast is a breather after years of not being able to benefit from the pet in group fight.

Revenant: It's not that I dislike the profession but for me it feel to rough on the edge, it need a lot of polish. I'dont feel "good" when playing it. Renegade have no appeal for me.

Thief: The eternally sharpened blade... Ah... A pretty good profession overall, it ay lack a bit of support but never lack damage and survivability. That's what I use when I don't want to think but I want a bit a thrill. The daredevil came as what I feel a direct upgrade of the thief. Nothing new but a serious bulk up in the end. Deadeye with it's riffle and an e-spec with a GS are the things that I wanted the least to see... so...

Warrior: Often weak, often strong, today's warrior is the fruit of a very long process of balance seeking for the correct mix of damage and survivability. I like to use it but rarely use meta builds if out of a group content. I like to play it in a a manner that's a bit more "wild" and warrior's meta builds tend to be very boring. I never got used to berserker and will never get used to it, I prefer core warrior. Spellbreaker feel easier to play than berserker, but again, I'm not sure I'm ready to leave the core warrior for that.

Elementalist: An elementally challenged version of Avatar AangMesmer: The digital embodiment of a mind fu¢kNecromancer: Lonely necrofiliac who just wants to befriend dead bodiesThief: The edgy MMO rogue that wants to rebel against everythingRanger: Failed Pokemon trainer looking to get back on their feetEngineer: Hates magic, supports evolutionGuardian: Blocks you more than your ex girlfriendWarrior: The guy that's always looking for a 1v1Revenant: They see dead people

I think the OP did a pretty good job of assessing the classes.

@Demonic.9852 said:Mesmer: I just....the class that is now replacing thieves, has more mobility, more stealth, and can literally turn itself into a walking breathing tank now. It's not an easy class to play, (for myself) so good on the people who can play it.

This is the problem that a LOT of the community has with so many of the piano classes. Why do you think they are so under-represented? When you throw skill-timing into the mix as well, the vast majority of classes in GW2 are (and, in all fairness, have always been) badly designed and horrible to play.

My personal opinion on classes is going to be very outdated, as I only have 3 PoF elite specs started and none finished being unlocked. And there's still a bunch of HoT elite specs I haven't finished unlocking too.

Playing WvW I don't even recognise the profession symbols half the time any more now that they're mostly PoF ones haha! I can usually only tell if it's a warrior/guardian/ele by the other symbols next to them (like attunement etc).

I've played all the professions, and most of the HoT elite specs. I'm only just starting to get into the PoF ones, I'll specify my level of use on each. FYI I am a casual roleplayer as well as a PVE player (and proud of it), so my insights will be a mix of gameplay, both solo and group, and some other stuff as well.

@Demonic.9852 said:Thief: Under performing, weapon sets are spam sets for working ones, current nerfs hurt the only thing keeping thieves on top mobility wise, bad version of mesmer. (really nothing I can say here, that isnt being whined b-----ed and complained about by alot of thieves already. Needs some reworking)

I have a hard time with thief because it (understandably) doesn't have as much AoE as other classes and even less to offer to the group (basilisk venom being the main thing), and it ranks last of the medium armor classes in terms of how I like to play. I do enjoy the elites, however, and for me, they were a game-changer. I love daredevil, in particular the staff, and still think it has great mobility even with the UC change. Deadeye I've only played a little, but I really like deadeye's mark, if for no other reason than it allows for a ranged playstyle with thief without having to choose between ignoring your class skill (steal) or being pulled into melee. The rifle has been very enjoyable, still getting used to being rooted when kneeling, but not usually a problem for group content since you can usually stay at range. Its potential for group support is an added bonus for me, especially with Fire for Effect giving it the potential to stack might on the level of PS Warriors, and the ability to spam Deadeye's Mark (and the group boons that go with it with traits) with the refresh on kill trait.

Necro: While Scourge is doing decent in pvp, the overall necro class is sad when brought to light in challenging content, reaper is almost pointless at this point, only really being good for epidemic and a higher condi sustain, and then we get to the fact you have to run condi to be accepted into some higher skill level things compared to the power version which gets thrown out the window 9/10 times.

Necro is one of two classes that top the charts on the ability to solo content in PVE. It's also one of the most selfish classes, so I imagine that would seem to go hand in hand. Reaper is a blatant ripoff of WoW's Death Knight, which doesn't stop it from being incredibly fun to play, power or condi. Scourge I haven't played yet, but it seems to be the top tier condi build for necro now, which is weird to me since I thought the primary point of it was to be support (shows what I know).

Ranger: Druid heals either need to be tweaked slightly or other healing classes need a severe buff, because honestly, the only viable healer NOW is a druid. It's the easiest thing to pug with, and the easiest thing to rez with. Base ranger I want to say will make a comeback eventually, but it's a joke besides the old condi ranger build we had going. Soulbeast (which I havent played much in honesty, so please give thoughts or tweaks) I find is in the middle of the spectrum, lacking in some good cc and good team fighting ability, while also being able to bring good survivability and damage to the table.

Remember what I said about potential to solo and being selfish going hand in hand? This profession makes a lie of that. One of the more versatile classes imo, power/condi/support, your choice. Druid became the primary raid healer, outshining every other build, and (until a few days ago) providing a unique damage buff for group content, which now is another might stacker on the level of PS. I admit while I like druid, I do not like what it represents: namely a move towards classes having roles defined by the trinity of dps/healer/tank. I liked that GW2 avoided these, but I guess the introduction of raids made them necessary... Soulbeast i haven't played yet, but I still can't figure out what the point of it is other than to appease the people who didn't want a pet. shrug Also my favorite of the medium armor classes.

Mesmer: I just....the class that is now replacing thieves, has more mobility, more stealth, and can literally turn itself into a walking breathing tank now. It's not an easy class to play, (for myself) so good on the people who can play it. Personally, Id love to see mesmer becoming the illusion based damager I always thought they'd be since gw1. That or someone who can survive long enough to really lay into an enemy and with a little help, or skill, kill things twice their size. Mirage I cant answer yet cause I havent seen one personally, or bothered unlocking it. Chronotanks and backup chronos continue to dominate my experience with the class.

My first main. Loved it, though I haven't played it in a while. It definitely is one of 3 classes that I think has a high skill ceiling (Engi and Ele being the other two thanks to kits and attunements respectively). It's dps has usually been underwhelming, something I still need to test out after the changes to confusion and torment when PoF dropped. Versatile class, but its weak dps usually forces it into a support role in group content, and makes it imo the hardest solo class (at least until you reach max level). The skill ceiling has prevented me from mastering chrono, and I am very excited to try mirage, which has the potential to be a high mobility and high dps elite.

Elementalist: I've always seen Ele's being overpowered, fiery knockoffs of diablo. Or Zeus. At this point however, an ele is lacking in some serious ability, weaver is like playing a mental game of chess, trying to remember all the combos, tempest.....does anyone run a good tempest on something like gorseval anymore? Temp feels like the poor mans way of saying I can try. And base ele, I havent seen since Pre HoT really....

The skill ceiling on ele is more for those who want to do more than just crank out dps. A huge number of combo options across attunements, and the elites only intensify this, particularly weaver. Piano class I think applies here, especially for those who can move beyond spamming fire attunement skills.

Engi: Holosmith? You mean jedi stabby stab that just stands there face tanking it all while smacking the heck out of the world? Personally, I find the damage on a few skills overpoweringor too high bursting, along with the high amounts of cc, creating a walk in the park is almost easier than saying hi to your mother. Scrapper was not a personal favourite, even though it was a decent class for a while. I cant really offer an opinion on him, since he's not played all that often in my books. Base engi, still playable, even if power is grenade spam, and condi is a piano.

The other high skill ceiling class, unless you break from meta and don't use kits, which is possible with scrapper's hammer and the overhaul on gadgets imo. Also possesses a high number of combo options. I liked the hammer, not so much the gyros (seemed gimmicky and even less controllable than ranger's pet), and holosmith is pretty much pure damage with a weird new mechanic to monitor and little synergy with the rest of the class. It's a close second to ranger for the medium classes for me.

Warrior: Bloody heck, I had a problem with Cc on holo? Might as well write you up the golden ticket for complain town here. Along with a few invuln builds that just negate everythng, I really feel like im Goliath and david forgot his slingshot. Much the same for spellbreaker and berserker, although, the PS nerf seems a bit rude, since a bad PS really could only give 15 at best.

I find this class boring. I've played core warrior, and can't maintain interest long enough to try the elites. shrug

Guardian: Base guard? That's a thing? Dragon hunters the way to go, till you get grievers and you want a Firebrand. Dragon hunters, even when im playing as it, are becoming a "I can push a button, place this thing, and then say i'm better than you, and in perfect pvp/wvw/haha i survived spirit, go say I did your mother. Firebrand imo is burn guardian 2.0 and will give another option to an already limited class with some playstyles.

The only heavy profession I've liked, even more so with the introduction of firebrand. Firebrand will likely raise the skill ceiling of the class with the virtues becoming kits, and returns the class to a good boon support and healing role if you don't need the insane amount of healing that druid brings. DH... I hated dragonhunter because it didn't fit the lore of guardian, and if you disagree, I point to Braham's emo fit as what happens when a guardian forgets what his job is.

Revenant: For a class that was absolutely despised by the community just a few months ago, it's good to see rev's making a comeback. Even if that comeback is one playstyle that you're not allowed to do any differently because if you do, you throw survivability and personal damage to the dogs. Along with the steak. Base rev, much like base guardian is almost non existant now, while herald seems to be just an offhand axe 5 and a prayer to the six that no one else is there to save you from my Unrelenting Assault. Renegade I have yet to unlock, but from what I've seen, it's sitting in a good place. Not fantastic survivabilty like old thief or mesmer right now, but can still pump out some stupidly amazing damage when need be.

I tried to like this class. It seemed like such an amazing idea for a class. But I failed. Repeatedly. This class needs a complete redesign that I know is never gonna happen. Effectively kitting the 6-10 skills seems good on paper, but I can't stand it. The energy mechanic is wonky, and the weapon options a likewise limiting. No opinion on Herald and Renegade. I'd sooner play a Warrior.

@Demonic.9852 said:

@FaboBabo.3581 said:DD still has more dodges and more mobility then mirage. Core thief has more stealth then any Mesmer. Dont know where u got that infos from...

In the case of mobility, it's got SB and shadow step, considering UC's changes. Yes you could use UC but it's really not worth it at the moment.Also the stealth bit. I say that because the only way a thief has more stealth, is if we run blinding powder, SR, and wall. Along with a traitline. In all fairness, I'm making the judgement I stated because mesmers have 2 skills that cause stealth, and if they really felt like it they could reuse them with chrono. Silly build yes, but still a possibility.

In any case thief stealth is really underperforming in it's usefullness besides skipping mobs in dungeons, maybe blinding powder for a quick getaway and pistol 5 along with heartseeker/bound is really usefull if the enemy doesnt see you attempting to hide. Cause most smart people aoe the heck out of the blinding powder

Thief also has steal, which is a shadowstep to target, along with Sw2. Considering that most of mirage's mobility is tied to in-combat mobility outside of mirage thrust, it only makes sense to compare the 2 if you also compare thief skills which grant in combat mobility. As for the stealth, mesmer only has 1 weapon skill granting stealth. An elite that grants 5 seconds of stealth, and veil/decoy. That doesn't compare to thief's access to stealth.

@OriOri.8724 said:

@Demonic.9852 said:

Thief also has steal, which is a shadowstep to target, along with Sw2. Considering that most of mirage's mobility is tied to in-combat mobility outside of mirage thrust, it only makes sense to compare the 2 if you also compare thief skills which grant in combat mobility. As for the stealth, mesmer only has 1 weapon skill granting stealth. An elite that grants 5 seconds of stealth, and veil/decoy. That doesn't compare to thief's access to stealth.

Steal is sometimes buggy, SB 5 sometimes has problems going over the tiniest of gaps (where some instances you can go up LEVELS with it and others you cant even cross a tiny lip in the ground without getting the "No valid path.")

Shadowstep, Infiltrator's Signet, and Steal for utility mechanics.Sword 2, d/p 3, shortbow 5, and rifle 4 for weapons.^ that's everything that thief has for mobility, and even that is sometime pushing it due to the issues with no valid pathing and such. Pointing at wvw and pvp, go run these in there and you'll discover just how much of an issue this really is. Also rifle 4 is unreliable, sometimes not moving you at all.

The problem is that it's not only spread out, but requires again a lot of sacrifice to make it work well. I dunno about you but at most I'd run steal and shadowstep. Shadowstep's cooldown is amazingly long at 50s.

Daredevil as well being the mobility espec, is questionable at best in regards to pvp/wvw since most classes are running condi. The 4 second destruction of the very thing that allowed us to be invulnerable, is countered by everyone else's ability to diminish or negate our damage meaning, we get to really run dead eye now and sit off point attempting to snipe.

But yeah, overall yes our mobility is still good. Our stealth is still -good-. The problem is just that a mesmer can do our job better, or to compare we have to sacrifice a lot of useful things.To keep up stealth, we either have to run Shadow Arts, Deadeye, d/p, or use up a utility skill or two. But that's just for stealth. To keep up with mobility it's not nearly as hard or sacrificial, but it just doesn't feel like we have a lot of mobility compared to other classes now.This isn't even touching on our damage output, which is just so negated because of the stupid amount of invulns/blocks/evades that exist overall.

@zinkz.7045 @bearshaman.3421

Zinkz, I have to agree with bearshaman here, please post something helpful instead of assuming I play one gamemode. That or post YOUR opinion of the classes, and feel free to discuss with the people who respond to you. This post was not made to insult, hinder, or argue, it was made as a debate.

It's up to you to choose what you believe, based on the personal experiences, insight and tips that this community gives us.

From a thiefs perspective of wvw, I think that yes, we can still do our job of having mobility, stealth, and burst. It's just that now, there is mobility creep, stealth is a mechanic that should be looked into and re-evaluated, and our burst is alright at best because of a plethora of defensive options everywhere. We just lack the amazing defensive options it seems many other classes have. Our defense includes mobility/evades (which mobility creep is ruining), stealth (it's ok as a defensive mechanic, but it doesn't negate things like blocks and invulns do), and a singular elite spec block (recently nerfed though it didn't really need it).

I'd love to see d/p not be meta anymore after it being the stale go-to for such a long time now. I don't run it myself but it would be a good sight to see for me.

Archived