Norn personality and Soldier Professions

Breidr.9830

I'm in the process of making a norn guardian or warrior and I'm having a tough time deciding on certain factors of creation such as personality.

It seems like a norn warrior would always be ferocious. I'm not really good at thinking outside the box. What does dignity entail?

I could see a norn guardian with "intuition to guard the mists." Bear would be the stereotypical warrior spirit, but what about wolf, or even raven?

I understand wolf, but raven is kind of an anomaly to me. What does it mean?

Is anyone here knowledgeable in norn lore so I can get an expanded explanation of the choices?

My first character was a dignified protector that was blessed by raven. Making new character I wanted to build them with some "lite rp" in mind.

Think about how you would like your character to respond to an insult. Fight for your honor (ferocity), speaking to them in a way that makes the insulters look like little children (dignity) or turn the insult into a joke (charm). You can easily be a dignified Norn Warrior that only uses his/her fists when necessary, as long as when you do, you make sure you end up the victor. Or be the always laughing and charming giant who makes jokes even in battle and has made bet with his friends to who will make the most kills.

As for the spirits, the in game descriptions give a pretty good idea what they are about (Bear=strength/courage, Raven=wisdom, Wolf=strength in numbers, Snow Leopard=stealth/independence). Gave Bear you the strength to bash through the enemy's armor, or gave Raven you the wisdom to go for the weak points. Has Wolf made sure you have your friends at your side, or did Snow Leopard make you sneak past the enemy to attack them from behind and finish the fight before it even started?

The best advice I can give is to choose first as whom you want to play, what personality you want to be, and make the in-game choices that are closest to that idea. The in-game consequenses are pretty minor, your own ideas about who your character is are way more important. Especially when making a Norn, ask yourself how your Norn would want to be remembered, what legends would you want to leave behind.

Raven is wisdom but also cunning and cleverness. The very first heart in the area that you come across in Wayfarer has an event in the game that is all about riddles and pleases Raven spirit. Raven flies high above the battlefield and sees all, can see how a different approach might turn the tide even if it's not the usual one or the straightforward one. I enjoy picking Raven for my Norn because cleverness is sometimes your best defense.

And the in-game consequences for the ferocity, charm, and dignity are all but gone but the responses you can give live on in places and make it so that you can give some really awesome answers to the questions you're asked.

Just please, please do yourself a favor and pick 'blackout at the moot' if you haven't yet. Best personal story option in the game and best example of how much I love the Norn I could ever give to someone who doesn't know them well, or doesn't know the game yet.

The main difference between a Warrior and a Guardian is that the warrior is purely mundane, hit it with weapons, while the guardian is magical and a bit more about protecting others. The warrior is always front and center, while quite a lot of the guardian skills allow healing to allies as well as the guardian. Let that be your guide in choosing, if you haven't yet.The people above me have done a pretty decent job outlining the 4 Spirits of the Wild. I just want to add that the guards of Hoelbrak, similar to the Warden for sylvari, Peacekeepers for asura and Shining Blade for humans, are the Wolfborn, so if you're looking to be a guard of some kind, either as a life-ambition or before you rise to become the Commander, Wolf is a fine choice. Raven makes you a character like Odysseus; he was a great warrior, but he was also clever and made plans before rushing into battle. If you're planning on joining the Order of Whispers, perhaps you would want to be Snow Leopard, where you prefer to avoid combat but can beat anyone down if you must. And naturally, anyone with the strength to wear heavy armour and still roll away in combat has to have Bear's strength. Decide what you want to emphasize of your character, and choose the respective spirit.Finally, the personality tree, as mentioned, has all but been removed. In the early days, there was a table to gauge how much you followed one of the three default responses, but now that's little more than flavour text. However, ferocious would mean that you have little patience for those who stand in your way, charm means that you flatter people to get them to change their mind, and dignity is about bolstering the spirit (I think, it's the one I have the hardest pinning down). It doesn't matter in the long run, but if you want to have it reflected in RP with others, pick whichever one seems the most fun for you and the personality you want to shape.

Archived