Everything wrong with Revenant (pvp)

JayAction.9056

---Too vulnerable to condi---No on demand stab in viable legends---Damage is too low across the board, requires 4-7 button combos to ever do anything meaningful, and is easily interrupted due to lack of stab, and every other class having better defense---Legends are too weak on their own. The current legend mechanic is gimping rev. You are very often 2-3 button clicks away from a skill where as an opponent has them immediately---Heals are too weak, too long of CDs---Very few methods of power damage mitigation---Mediocre mobility

I would not even have realized how bad the class was if I did not 1v1 from someone near my ranking playing guard and see just how much harder I was having to play for much worse results.

Why is the class this bad

Edit: Mace, axe, and bow all suffer from being extremely hard to even land attacks on opponents that are halfway decent at positioning their character and paying attention to you.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@JayAction.9056 said:---Too vulnerable to condi---No on demand stab in viable legends---Damage is too low across the board, requires 4-7 button combos to ever do anything meaningful, and is easily interrupted due to lack of stab, and every other class having better defense---Legends are too weak on their own. The current legend mechanic is gimping rev. You are very often 2-3 button clicks away from a skill where as an opponent has them immediately---Heals are too weak, too long of CDs---Very few methods of power damage mitigation---Mediocre mobility

I would not even have realized how bad the class was if I did not 1v1 from someone near my ranking playing guard and see just how much harder I was having to play for much worse results.

I consider myself the best rev in game (not being cocky), so I don't see how anyone could possibly be having an experience too much better than mine.

I don't have problems running power Rev in WvW, they aren't always great 1v1 but that's not solely a Rev problem. Perhaps your issue is you spend too much time playing one or two classes to really see the big picture? I'd advise playing a greater range of professions and maybe watching some pro rev youtube videos to see how others play the class to get a broader idea of the state of the game. You'll be surviving better in no time, just don't forget that the Rev was never intended to be a solo play class.

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@JayAction.9056 said:---Too vulnerable to condi---No on demand stab in viable legends---Damage is too low across the board, requires 4-7 button combos to ever do anything meaningful, and is easily interrupted due to lack of stab, and every other class having better defense---Legends are too weak on their own. The current legend mechanic is gimping rev. You are very often 2-3 button clicks away from a skill where as an opponent has them immediately---Heals are too weak, too long of CDs---Very few methods of power damage mitigation---Mediocre mobility

I consider myself the best rev in game (not being cocky), so I don't see how anyone could possibly be having an experience too much better than mine.

I don't have problems running power Rev in WvW, they aren't always great 1v1 but that's not solely a Rev problem. Perhaps your issue is you spend too much time playing one or two classes to really see the big picture? I'd advise playing a greater range of professions and maybe watching some pro rev youtube videos to see how others play the class to get a broader idea of the state of the game. You'll be surviving better in no time, just don't forget that the Rev was never intended to be a solo play class.

WvW does not give anywhere near an accurate representation of how good a class is. There is not much competition in WvW (meaning the players are not good).

I think you missed the part about me claiming to be best rev In game. There's not anything for me to pick up on watching YouTube videos. Thanks for the suggestion though

Every class is supposed to be able to be self sufficient solo. If a class is not that's like saying "It's shitty on purpose". I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be the case.

@JayAction.9056 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

WvW does not give anywhere near an accurate representation of how good a class is. There is not much competition in WvW (meaning the players are not good).

I think you missed the part about me claiming to be best rev In game. There's not anything for me to pick up on watching YouTube videos. Thanks for the suggestion though

Every class is supposed to be able to be self sufficient solo. If a class is not that's like saying "It's kitten on purpose". I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be the case.

The problem with a narrow mindset like that, is you lose sight of the general state of the class. Since you consider yourself the best at, apparently, just one game mode (spvp I assume) based on your opinion of other modes, you can't possibly hold a balanced view of the class in general. "Top tier" players often get into this rut, where a class does not function at a very narrow, specific level of play in a particular game mode and they therefore believe that it is totally broken. Broadly speaking though, this is not the case, and you shouldn't expect the developers to balance around your specific experience.

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@JayAction.9056 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Every class is supposed to be able to be self sufficient solo. If a class is not that's like saying "It's kitten on purpose". I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be the case.

The problem with a narrow mindset like that, is you lose sight of the general state of the class. Since you consider yourself the best at, apparently, just one game mode (spvp I assume) based on your opinion of other modes, you can't possibly hold a balanced view of the class in general. "Top tier" players often get into this rut, where a class does not function at a very narrow, specific level of play in a particular game mode and they therefore believe that it is totally broken. Broadly speaking though, this is not the case, and you shouldn't expect the developers to balance around your specific experience.

Generally speaking if something works in pvp. It works even better in WvW. In WvW you are less likely to come across the most op builds in game, especially if you are someone like myself and are regularly seeing those op builds in pvp because you are in that match making.

I 1v3 people in WvW and even sometimes win. That doesn't happen in spvp. WvW is a less competitive pvp man. You should test the waters outside WvW (pvp).

It seems you are making the case that I have something to learn from playing WvW? I'm rank 1700 something for reference.

@JayAction.9056 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@JayAction.9056 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Generally speaking if something works in pvp. It works even better in WvW. In WvW you are less likely to come across the most op builds in game, especially if you are someone like myself and are regularly seeing those op builds in pvp because you are in that match making.

I 1v3 people in WvW and even sometimes win. That doesn't happen in spvp. WvW is a less competitive pvp man. You should test the waters outside WvW (pvp).

It seems you are making the case that I have something to learn from playing WvW? I'm rank 1700 something for reference.

Im making the case that a single game mode at a specific level of play is not what a class should be balanced around.

This pretty much covers it. With the holosmith buffs to an already powerful class, it's been fun getting tossed around like a sack of vegetables until you die.

Another problem with rev might be the reliability to effect ratio on a lot of your skills. Like Shiro jade winds; With most classes, if you blow your elite on someone in the middle of a fight, and it gets blocked/evaded or they're invulnerable or your wanky targetting switched to a pet or a mesmer clone, it sucks because you now can't use your elite for it's cd. If you jump into a fight and use jade winds and it gets blocked/evaded or otherwise avoided, not only can you not use it immediately again, you just wasted 50 energy, your ability to do anything. You are basically a sitting duck auto'ing until your energy refills or you can switch legends, which will do nothing to save you if you've already used infused light.

Yea there are work around to this specific situation but this is just the mantra of the class, high cost skills that can whiff and leave you with no energy to use other skills.

Still salty they removed sword block. Rev is a heavy armor class, It felt way more thematic having a block like warrior sw/sw instead of just glass cannoning it like thief. People are just like "if you want a block use shield" LOL

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@JayAction.9056 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@JayAction.9056 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Im making the case that a single game mode at a specific level of play is not what a class should be balanced around.

I run in WvW 95% of my time, am of a rank 1000+, and can confirm JayAction( the OP) is very much in line to being correct for WvW.

Rev has to do twice the work to even be remotely successful.

I would also add the block removal from Sword4 really hurt WvW Rev a lot.

People still play rev after recent patch? Are you masochist by any chance? B)Its obvious that devs intention for rev is to become a clunky pve class, i mean even pof elite is telling you that in face. Give up.Much "legendary assassin" there outperformed by a random noname thieves if you know what i mean.

@Burtnik.5218 said:People still play rev after recent patch? Are you masochist by any chance? B)Its obvious that devs intention for rev is to become a clunky pve class, i mean even pof elite is telling you that in face. Give up.Much "legendary assassin" there outperformed by a random noname thieves if you know what i mean.

I like a challenge, but you might be on to something.

Ahh so you are taking the pof elite as a middle finger? GotchaI know what you mean

• 4 weeks later...

@Burtnik.5218 said:People still play rev after recent patch? Are you masochist by any chance? B)Its obvious that devs intention for rev is to become a clunky pve class, i mean even pof elite is telling you that in face. Give up.Much "legendary assassin" there outperformed by a random noname thieves if you know what i mean.

Rev is generally a class for flavour its barly accepted in pve since it has the lowest dps in power its only allowed if condi renegade

@Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:I run in WvW 95% of my time, am of a rank 1000+, and can confirm JayAction( the OP) is very much in line to being correct for WvW.

Rev has to do twice the work to even be remotely successful.

I would also add the block removal from Sword4 really hurt WvW Rev a lot.

If you zerg, its easy as hell. Go hammer. Spam away. Win. Herald is still king of Revenant specs. More damage, more support. More Defense. More Boons. The problem is, rather than bringing Base and Renegade up to Herald level, they will nerf Herald down to their level.

@Burtnik.5218 said:

Much "legendary assassin" there outperformed by a random noname thieves if you know what i mean.

And yed not a single thief was able to win the 1 vs 1 tournaments hosted by Jebro a few months ago, while at least 2-3 Herald managed to did it. Plus, PoF also did nothing for the thieves.

I agree in the background of your statement, but I won't change class to one which I dislike playing just because the one I run fights in disadvantage or is hard to use. I also like how Renegade and core Rev have no users in PvP/WvW. It sends a clear dispatch to ANet headquarters.

@narcx.3570 said:Weirdly enough, Power Herald's probably the most balanced class in the game... It's just that a handful of the other classes are way over tuned.

That's what makes me sad. Occasionally Anet makes something that's really fun, balance, and healthy for the game.. but because it's easier to ruin it than to fix what's broken, they end up ruining them in some way.

@Olivier Yuki.5614 said:Breakrazor's Bastion(50%) + Righteous Rebel(33%) = 83% reduced condition damage. I wonder if this is still considered too vulnerable to condition damage.

Yes, because BB can (and will be) killed in seconds, ending the effect and the remaining 33%, while sounds a lot, is actually next to nothing in this meta. Soulbeast for example can have permanent protection (and thus 33% condi reduction too) and very good cleansing and they still melt in seconds.

the revenant has great mobility with shiro and sword off hand ... and actually , it's pretty good tho ! deals amazingly with firebrand support and fine vs holosmith (but double edge)

Scourges are the problem but if you wait in team fight they "waste" their skills on your allies ... it's almost a free kill if you don't stay too long in there

@"Nath Forge Tempete.1645" said:the revenant has great mobility with shiro and sword off hand ... and actually , it's pretty good tho ! deals amazingly with firebrand support and fine vs holosmith (but double edge)

Scourges are the problem but if you wait in team fight they "waste" their skills on your allies ... it's almost a free kill if you don't stay too long in there

I don't find scourges to be too bad really, unless they have a dedicated FB support with them... Downing them isn't really a problem; it's when their fb faceroll-double-bubble-stability-rezes them and they get up instantly popping f5 and then you have to down/finish them a second time before their fb gets his cool downs back where it gets ridiculous.

Mirages on the other hand... It's a good mirage that I definitely don't stand a chance against.

We'll see how the great condi nerf of 12/12 goes... But I almost feel like it's going to end up making it worse for Revs tho--as crazy as that sounds--since it favors cleanse and our Facet of Light will actually end up being 1/2 as effective vs condi's now.

Archived