Reason for deadeye stolen skill to only be used on marked?

seanshine.8791

Karl, what was the reason deadeye stolen skills can and will only be casted on the marked target? This change makes no sense whatsoever and only dumb down the skill floor. The malice damage on non-marked target was already nerfed which is fine but being able to cast stolen abilities on other targets is crucial in group fights. For example, if I see a low revenant target low and trying to run away, it makes more sense to steal/mark on a ranger or ele to cast the stolen skills of immob/chill on them.

That's actually very true. Being able to pick your debuffs depending on what mark you've got takes a lot of coordination, and usually has to be done during a very short time-span.

I see why they did it, Mark is supposed to be like a white paper saying Kick Me on the backs of your opponents and as such anything related to mark should only affect the back that piece of paper is glued to, but leaving it alone would've allowed for far more interesting plays to be made.

It wasn't intended to be used that way. If you read the stolen skill, it only applies conditions to your marked target. I personally do not like it when I use the stolen item on my target who is running away only to be saved by his teammate crossing my line of sight.

I understand why you like it the way you want it, however, when I mark someone, they are marked for death and being denied due to LoS is really irritating. It even more so when fighting a boss with a lot of minions. Those little buggers just keep on crossing my LoS.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:It wasn't intended to be used that way. If you read the stolen skill, it only applies conditions to your marked target. I personally do not like it when I use the stolen item on my target who is running away only to be saved by his teammate crossing my line of sight.

I understand why you like it the way you want it, however, when I mark someone, they are marked for death and being denied due to LoS is really irritating. It even more so when fighting a boss with a lot of minions. Those little buggers just keep on crossing my LoS.

That probably MY biggest issue with The marked target. They just get inside of their minion screens or move into a mob of allies and your malice is useless as you keep hitting others. This was mitigated to some extent with ythe way Malice on DJ used to work

I hope the only reason for it being like this at the moment is of technical nature.

Because they decided that you should get your damage boost only to the marked target, which is something that is okay tbh.In the same time they could not split those two things, and therefore they chose to go the path in which you then can only use stolen skills on your marked target.

This change feels really bad in WvW, because often your marked target will run behind a zerg or inside a tower and you will be forced to swap targets before your mark is off CD thus wasting your stolen skill because your original target has run a mile away by that point.

This makes marking a target and then instantly blowing the stolen skill (often with 1 or less malice) while they're still in range/unaware the only viable way to use it much of the time because it becomes completely unusable as soon as they're no longer in range, you can't even use it for the self-buff.

@seanshine.8791 said:Karl, what was the reason deadeye stolen skills can and will only be casted on the marked target? This change makes no sense whatsoever and only kitten down the skill floor. The malice damage on non-marked target was already nerfed which is fine but being able to cast stolen abilities on other targets is crucial in group fights. For example, if I see a low revenant target low and trying to run away, it makes more sense to steal/mark on a ranger or ele to cast the stolen skills of immob/chill on them.

It wasn't intended to be used like that. Hell, I didn't even know that your stolen skills could be used on other targets. Also, Malice damage on non-marked targets is also unintentional. So it wasn't a nerf. Just a bug that thieves got to enjoy for some time.

@Asur.9178 said:Deadeye is a joke. I'm very amused at people still trying to make it work.

I am getting to the point I don't care if it works or not. The sole reason I came back to GW2 was because of the Deadeye and rifle. It's very hard to find a decent non p2w MMO game that allows you to dual wield pistols and have a rifle. GW2 is one of the few that has it, so sadly I have to stick with it even if A-net ignores the Deadeye in balance patch numbers. Yeah though, even it becomes even more of a joke because of it's damage numbers; I'll still use it because it's who I am.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

@seanshine.8791 said:Karl, what was the reason deadeye stolen skills can and will only be casted on the marked target? This change makes no sense whatsoever and only kitten down the skill floor. The malice damage on non-marked target was already nerfed which is fine but being able to cast stolen abilities on other targets is crucial in group fights. For example, if I see a low revenant target low and trying to run away, it makes more sense to steal/mark on a ranger or ele to cast the stolen skills of immob/chill on them.

It wasn't intended to be used like that. Hell, I didn't even know that your stolen skills could be used on other targets. Also, Malice damage on non-marked targets is also unintentional. So it wasn't a nerf. Just a bug that thieves got to enjoy for some time.

Your post makes no sense. A core thief or daredevil can use their stolen abilities on other targets. So to deduct, you've never played thief.

@seanshine.8791 said:

Your post makes no sense. A core thief or daredevil can use their stolen abilities on other targets. So to deduct, you've never played thief.

I believe he is talking exclusively about Deadeye since its meant to be a single target burst elite spec.

Even if it was a bug they should have left it alone. Marking a target in WvW is basically prep work at this point because you have to pop everything in that small window where your stuff wont just tickle people pocketing that stolen skill for a second because your marked target is is already in another area code so you might as well use it to support your team against whatever is still around. Why stick around and kneel for a janky Deaths Judgement when I've already thrown most of my stuff away, I can't sit there without a stolen slow or something to throw on this guy kicking my ass right now. I know I'm overreacting a bit but this one seemed to just come out of nowhere just because why not?

• 2 weeks later...

@kash.9213 said:

Even if it was a bug they should have left it alone. Marking a target in WvW is basically prep work at this point because you have to pop everything in that small window where your stuff wont just tickle people pocketing that stolen skill for a second because your marked target is is already in another area code so you might as well use it to support your team against whatever is still around. Why stick around and kneel for a janky Deaths Judgement when I've already thrown most of my stuff away, I can't sit there without a stolen slow or something to throw on this guy kicking my kitten right now. I know I'm overreacting a bit but this one seemed to just come out of nowhere just because why not?

Are you saying that as a player that's figured out Deadeye? Or are you still learning? I've honestly not had a problem with the class being so single target focused. You have to rely on your utilities more than other specs... which is normal for core thief back in the day. And be a step ahead of everyone.

@kash.9213 said:

Even if it was a bug they should have left it alone. Marking a target in WvW is basically prep work at this point because you have to pop everything in that small window where your stuff wont just tickle people pocketing that stolen skill for a second because your marked target is is already in another area code so you might as well use it to support your team against whatever is still around. Why stick around and kneel for a janky Deaths Judgement when I've already thrown most of my stuff away, I can't sit there without a stolen slow or something to throw on this guy kicking my kitten right now. I know I'm overreacting a bit but this one seemed to just come out of nowhere just because why not?

Are you saying that as a player that's figured out Deadeye? Or are you still learning? I've honestly not had a problem with the class being so single target focused. You have to rely on your utilities more than other specs... which is normal for core thief back in the day. And be a step ahead of everyone.

It's still mostly throw away countermeasure. Best use I get out it is to pop the stolen skill, if I even got one due to whatever, and build up malice as fast as I can before the marked target gets out of range. I get a fully cooked flare to mess with their driver or something at least but trying to hold the stolen skill for anything meaningful is sparse payoff.

It was intended, so it's a nerf.

@Sobx.1758 said:

It was intended, so it's a nerf.

Is it intended because you say so? Because the description says something else before path of fire released.

Archived