Whats the best way to carry weak players

brannigan.9831

I keep losing matches where I have like 10-15 kills and lead in dmage and only die a couple times and try to fight on only neutral and point we own and I keep losing. It seems like the enemy just plays around me and my teammates make foolish rotations and try to do too much themselves. I acutally lost a match that was tied at 430 and we owned two points and one was contested. The guy on home ran off of it to middle it immediately got capped behind him and they all died in middle. I was on far which we owned already I just wanted us to hold the ends and win. Plz h elp! I mean maybe I should start frapsing these but its getting so tiring. I feel like I shouldnt be losing matches where I win 80-90% of even fights im involved in.

@Jeknar.6184 said:Play Scourge

I have no problems beating just about any class on my radiant guardian. I need real advice here. Like should I just keep trying to take end points by winning duels. Should i just follow the weakest players around regardless of wehter they make good decisions and hope it will just work out if I keep killing stuff? I am asking sincerely for advice. What is not working is me making good rotations and just ignoring the stupid stuff becuase its not working even when i win almost all my fights. I lose so many matches where i lead in damage and have kill deaht ratios of like 5 to 1 and I am not chasing kills those are all on point or right around it. Too often I feel like the little dutch boy trying to stick his fingers in all the holes int he dam that is about to burst. If there is a legit top 100 type that has advice pls share it.

@brannigan.9831 said:

I have no problems beating just about any class on my radiant guardian. I need real advice here. Like should I just keep trying to take end points by winning duels. Should i just follow the weakest players around regardless of wehter they make good decisions and hope it will just work out if I keep killing stuff? I am asking sincerely for advice. What is not working is me making good rotations and just ignoring the stupid stuff becuase its not working even when i win almost all my fights. I lose so many matches where i lead in damage and have kill deaht ratios of like 5 to 1 and I am not chasing kills those are all on point or right around it. Too often I feel like the little dutch boy trying to stick his fingers in all the holes int he dam that is about to burst.

If your team is not capable, you need to be able to hold up for them. The Scourge was meant to be a joke, but depending on the map you can easily control a point and a objective as a Scourge (Skyhammer and Capricorn are good exemples). Of course, if there is another profession you think you can use and carry harder than with a Scourge, then by all means, play it. My other advise would be to play Thief, so you could work on those decap while +1'ing for your team.

But let's be real, no ammount of carrying will help if the other 4 people on your team aren't at least semi-competent. Maybe if you get yourself a duo partner and you two can hold out 2 points you'll work out fine.

@Morwath.9817 said:Communicate with team properly, explain them what to do, and what to not do... and be nice to Quaggans Ooo.

That is so hit or miss though and I try to do it. Its seems like about 50% of players are just going to do wtf they want and they react like 2 year olds, do the exact opposite, even if you ask nice. I need something different. I feel like there is something counter intuitive that im not doing. Like maybe I should let a point get capped sometimes even if its the only one we have if I can go help noobs elsewhere? I wish it was easier to discuss scenarios. I dont want to come across as superior i admit Im probably slightly b etter then average at best it just seems like I should be getting more based on my performance metrics I feel like i must be missing something to lose some of the matches where I win the vast majority of even fights Im involved in.

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@brannigan.9831 said:

I have no problems beating just about any class on my radiant guardian. I need real advice here. Like should I just keep trying to take end points by winning duels. Should i just follow the weakest players around regardless of wehter they make good decisions and hope it will just work out if I keep killing stuff? I am asking sincerely for advice. What is not working is me making good rotations and just ignoring the stupid stuff becuase its not working even when i win almost all my fights. I lose so many matches where i lead in damage and have kill deaht ratios of like 5 to 1 and I am not chasing kills those are all on point or right around it. Too often I feel like the little dutch boy trying to stick his fingers in all the holes int he dam that is about to burst.

If your team is not capable, you need to be able to hold up for them. The Scourge was meant to be a joke, but depending on the map you can easily control a point and a objective as a Scourge (Skyhammer and Capricorn are good exemples). Of course, if there is another profession you think you can use and carry harder than with a Scourge, then by all means, play it. My other advise would be to play Thief, so you could work on those decap while +1'ing for your team.

But let's be real, no ammount of carrying will help if the other 4 people on your team aren't at least semi-competent. Maybe if you get yourself a duo partner and you two can hold out 2 points you'll work out fine.

When I control a point I swear to god what happens half the time is my teammates will split up and go to both side points even when home gets attacked and I end up not knowing what to do. Then they lose on both side points and I get rickrolled or they win on one side point and lose on one side point and the losing side loses faster and I get rickrolled +1. There has to be some strategis plenty of people are winning at a high percentage with duo shut off. I just feel like Im missing something.

If you know there are bad players in the enemy team who you can 1v1 with ease, yet everytime you look at the map you see your teammates dying to said players at the other side of the map, then there is absolutely nothing you can do. A terribly matchmade game that is unwinnable. Your only solace is that those players will continue dropping and dropping to bronze and silver while you either remain stale or climb higher.

The best way would be a tighter matchmaking system, in which players of the same skill level gets matched closer together. But this would increase waiting times to get into matches by quite a bit.

Otherwise, I don't think there is a real solution for now. You would need something like Team Arena's like in GW1 to get rid of the random teams. Truth is that lower skilled players just cannot compete against highly skilled players. And you cannot make them skilled unless you take them on a multi-day training with you. And even then you will have to accept that not all skill levels are equal. So, yes. Players like I am are doing their very best but in my case, when I get oneshot I will need to wait on respawn and hope to not get oneshot again.

@Razor.6392 said:If you know there are bad players in the enemy team who you can 1v1 with ease, yet everytime you look at the map you see your teammates dying to said players at the other side of the map, then there is absolutely nothing you can do. A terribly matchmade game that is unwinnable. Your only solace is that those players will continue dropping and dropping to bronze and silver while you either remain stale or climb higher.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:The best way would be a tighter matchmaking system, in which players of the same skill level gets matched closer together. But this would increase waiting times to get into matches by quite a bit.

The thing Razor said and What Fox said would not work.The issue is we have 10 placement matches where said mentioned bad players got good placement some plat some gold.Wait it out takes time until the bad players drop just do 1 game per day not to ruin your placement.Cause right now what Razor described is happening a loot more then just every game now and then.There is no strategy or build or class that can carry a game like Razor described.Personally i had nothing to do 2 days i played like maniac and i had crap games.Total around 21 lost games i could just watch pac man show,my team mates doing the worst possible things what can happen in the book.Right now i quit to play waiting out until bad players get flushed out so i can later get decent matches to restore my placement.

The key to hard carrying players below your skill level is to generate kills on the opposing team as quickly as possible. This doesn't really mean winning all your 1v1's, it means wiping the enemy team in group fights as well as fast and efficient kills with +1's. If you can keep the enemy players on re-spawn this means that your teammates will have numbers advantages on the rest of the map which will allow them to not totally fail. Of course not every game is realistically winnable.

The best way to carry me is to be standing on point with me.... I'm so bad, I actually try holding points after I cap them.

We win a mid fight off the bat, I'm a really bad shout support Tempest, I ask the big bad Necro to stay with me and protect me, but he has to go far with the Holosmith and Spellbreaker and Thief.... While they win against no one on far, I get wrecked by at least 3 people on Mid, I try holding points, I try asking for team to come back and help me... "No your bad and should have rotated"....

I am bad. Best way to carry me is by letting me stand next to you on point. That's how you carry me.

How does this game rate skill? Your actions in a match or if you win or lose?

Losing due to 4 other people being dead weight brings your rating down just as if you're the problem. There's an inherent flaw in this system. If you're constantly stuck with people that aren't playing to win how do you get into higher divisions?

I constantly get badges for offense/defense/kills/damage and still lose matches enough that I can't get past gold 1. How does this rating system flush the bads out when it's impossible to literally carry a match 1v5? I had 15 blowout losses in a row last night mostly due to my team always trickling into mid while I'm running around capping sides like mad man. Is my current rating really an indication of my own skill?

I'm one to always blame myself, but yeah there are times where teammates do some of the dumbest things that make the win improbable (like even top streamers spot it and call it out). On top of hard match-ups (i.e. certain profession v profession) and trying to do what you expect another profession should be doing ...you can only do so much depending on your profession.

The way I see "carrying", and this is probably some super dumb way of thinking about it, the average player has to give 100% and meet the assumed expectations at the very least. That means each player (if playing at 100%), contributes 20% to the win.

• When one player, say a Warrior, has to play the map to keep the team in the game instead of the Daredevil, that contribution for both those players is skewed unfavorably and the Team Effectiveness is no longer 100% (each player 20%).
  • For example: Average Warriors can sit in fights to buy time longer than an average thief, instead the thief is staying for 90s+. My assumption: if an average thief isn't in and out in 20-30s at most, they aren't effectively contributing (maybe 10% from them, giving an overall 90%). That 10% contribution negatively effects your teammates from performing at their 100%, which then lowers their contribution as well.
  • Then they negatively perform, everything falls into chaos. To reduce this: You got to play your best. Know your profession. Know your role. Do it right. Yes, there is some wiggle room to carry, but it's harder for some professions. Know what carrying would entail (expertly stretch the usefulness of your profession/role--meaning: playing at 120%, overall contributing 40%).

That being said, the best way is obviously playing significant game changers that have higher chances to carry. I can think of 2 options:

• Play Thief or Mesmer (portal is important) if you can play the map (to split them, so you can outnumber when one of them goes to re-cap)--which depends if you have a team that can hold points long enough so you can decap/+1 1v1 fights. This is harder at the volatile ratings (Plat 1, Gold 3, Gold 2) because a lot of players are incorrectly placed into here.
  • Play Firebrand (Bunker/Healer) or Scourge if your team is patient and can stick to just holding 2 points (instead of getting greedy and throw it all away to get a 3rd)--which is rare. This is harder at higher ratings (Plat 2+) because most established players there aren't dumb enough to waste time fighting bunkers for X minutes and getting no where...but easier at lower ratings because players are dumb enough to waste time.
  • Other professions can overlap these options in ways that help the more dominant professions of the two options. For example, Holosmith can play the map or Ranger can somewhat bunker. Ideally, this really means professions that can give that complimentary edge to get secure kills fast--Like a stun on Engi so the Thief can swoop on in and burst him like a bubble. This leads to less time standing around and more time enabling the team to control the map everywhere (forcing the other team to either re-group or continue to fail going in one-at-a-time).

Side note:

• Micromanging your team (telling them what to do) usually comes off as "I want to be a leader. You have to do this for me. ". Most think they are a better leader and just end up letting their ego control the outcome...aka, you aren't the leader and everyone just plays like they want. Rarely you get players that all agree on a strategy...no matter how polite the "ask" was.
  • Solo is harder, but it's way better to see what it takes for YOU to play your best. I'm not perfect and I do get salty at times, but I'm very critical of my gameplay and I do watch replays/others to improve myself.
  • This is probably all terrible advice and someone notable will rightfully disagree with me...or say it better (i.e. ELI5).

@Morwath.9817 said:Communicate with team properly, explain them what to do, and what to not do... and be nice to Quaggans Ooo.

This doesn't work because, as many have admitted on the forums. They turn chat off when they are farming their pips. So in most matches any chance to coordinate with your team, is null and voided.

@brannigan.9831 said:

I have no problems beating just about any class on my radiant guardian. I need real advice here. Like should I just keep trying to take end points by winning duels. Should i just follow the weakest players around regardless of wehter they make good decisions and hope it will just work out if I keep killing stuff? I am asking sincerely for advice. What is not working is me making good rotations and just ignoring the stupid stuff becuase its not working even when i win almost all my fights. I lose so many matches where i lead in damage and have kill deaht ratios of like 5 to 1 and I am not chasing kills those are all on point or right around it. Too often I feel like the little dutch boy trying to stick his fingers in all the holes int he dam that is about to burst. If there is a legit top 100 type that has advice pls share it.

The game design leaves no room for unequal matches. If your team consistently loses team fights, you will lose. Even the most skilled players cannot do much in those situations.

You maybe able to bunker on a point and hold it, but that won’t matter if your allies cannot take another point.

I applaud the OP for thinking outside the "just blame others and/or quit and watch my videos" pathetic way of thinking. I have limited time for gaming, and competition is one of the main reasons I play.

I don't have, nor do I think there is, the single answer. But, agree with one post about knowing your class inside and out and adapt to situations. FWIW, I've found in those situations it is better to go into 'high focus' mode and +1 wherever I can even if rotation doesn't make sense. Keeping bad teammates alive and points capped is better than being perfect in your rotations and theory. I also end up making sure I am the one calling targets (even when downed) to help them learn proper focus technique

Archived