What If...

STIHL.2489

Now, this is just a wondering. Theory Crafting the Worst case as it were.

What IF, they removed PvP/WvW from GW2?

Above and beyond the people who enjoy WvW quitting the game, What is the worst that would happen to the overall game?

And would you really quit the game if they chose to remove WvW/PvP from the game to focus on more PvE related stuff.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what would happen to GW2, but I would definitely leave the game. I only play games which offer coop or pvp and I only stick with a game long term if it has pvp.

For example, I enjoy playing Borderlands and Borderlands 2, but I will not replay the campaign to get max level or the best gear. There's no point in investing that much time when a game doesn't offer a good pvp mode to use it.

I will probably move on to one of the latest Battlefield games. Battlefield 2142 was my main game before GW2, and I played Starseige and Counterstrike before that.

@STIHL.2489 said:Now, this is just a wondering. Theory Crafting the Worst case as it were.

What IF, they removed PvP/WvW from GW2?

Above and beyond the people who enjoy WvW quitting the game, What is the worst that would happen to the overall game?

And would you really quit the game if they chose to remove WvW/PvP from the game to focus on more PvE related stuff.

well there be no reason for me to stay since i play wvwmajority of the time.

i'm already interested in trying overwatch hehe

The game would be at less interesting for me. I binge on WvW a few times a year and often do dailies, because they are generally more fun for me. I do less PvP, but the game itself is more fun for me because of the presence of PvP players.

It seems like a tiny cost savings relative to the impact it would have. Perhaps a little bit like what would happen if my car didn't have a music system. Sure, I'd still drive it, but road trips would be duller — for a few hundred bucks, I'd rather have my tunes.

@Veprovina.4876 said:People would get bored and quit. Simple as that. There's only so much you can do in PvE and you need something like WvW or PvP to break the monotony. I don't want to be stuck doing "rotations" in Fractals or Raids, that's boring after a while. That's why WvW is there.

This is how I feel as well, that WvW is the next step up from PvE, where the opponents are other players.

But I often wonder, how much impact it would have on the game overall, if they simply removed the PvP aspect of it. I realize that some people would leave, that is a given, but, how much would it really affect or change the overall game of GW2.

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:Well I suspect their gem sales would plummet. Most PvE'ers I suspect have more than enough gold to convert to gems to get whatever they need off the TP. WvW'ers however, I'm sure are the bulk of their gem sales.

Do WvW players buy a lot of Gem Store items?

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:People would get bored and quit. Simple as that. There's only so much you can do in PvE and you need something like WvW or PvP to break the monotony. I don't want to be stuck doing "rotations" in Fractals or Raids, that's boring after a while. That's why WvW is there.

This is how I feel as well, that WvW is the next step up from PvE, where the opponents are other players.

But I often wonder, how much impact it would have on the game overall, if they simply removed the PvP aspect of it. I realize that some people would leave, that is a given, but, how much would it really affect or change the overall game of GW2.

Probably not much. There's a lot to do in PvE, and some people don't even like WvW, they like memorizing what keys to press in a raid. I mean i know it's more complex than that, but it doesn't compare to fighting real players. Yeah, zergs are no brainers for anyone except the commander but roaming's fun, and there's no rotation that will surely bring a player down. It's a more reactive gameplay. So people who like WvW would fall back to PvE until bored then leave, and people who don't WvW wouldn't miss it at all.

I'd hate to see WvW gone, i mean, i don't WvW much (except latey, one character is now WvW exclusive), but it's a fun game mode. It also has cheap 20 slot bags lol. :tongue: My alts are greatful haha. :smile:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

Probably not much. There's a lot to do in PvE, and some people don't even like WvW, they like memorizing what keys to press in a raid. I mean i know it's more complex than that, but it doesn't compare to fighting real players. Yeah, zergs are no brainers for anyone except the commander but roaming's fun, and there's no rotation that will surely bring a player down. It's a more reactive gameplay. So people who like WvW would fall back to PvE until bored then leave, and people who don't WvW wouldn't miss it at all.

I'd hate to see WvW gone, i mean, i don't WvW much (except latey, one character is now WvW exclusive), but it's a fun game mode. It also has cheap 20 slot bags lol. :tongue: My alts are greatful haha. :smile:

I love WvW.

I was just theory crafting with this question.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

I love WvW.

I was just theory crafting with this question.

I'm starting to get into WvW a lot myself lately, i like it too. PvE is boring and i can't decide on what to do there. Fractals sometimes, but then i get frustrated when people don't know the basic mechanics and eh...WvW is more fun and focused.

I know they won't remove it and this was just theory, but yeah, bottom line, the game would get much more boring for a lot of people.

WvW is like the wild wild west - that's why I like it. You can be sure of nothing, except if you have the greater number (and that doesn't always equate to win 100% of the time). I like absolutely everything about it - having to try every class, builds that utilise their racial skills, every weaponset, every kind of build (pow/condi/hybrid), gimmick build, just anything to try and see how it does. I love that stuff. Even losing motivates me. If this mode were to go, I'd actually have all the time to spend on the other games I've shunned ever since I started playing gw2 (I started Dec 2k15 just when I was starting Fallout 4, haven't been able to really play any game since, because I dedicated all my time to gw2/wvw). I suppose if it were removed I don't know how I'd feel honestly. Like a piece of me died maybe heh. But then I'd be able to play other stuff. Argh I don't know... I wouldn't really play much pve that's for sure. Maybe just login to keep the account active. In the end it would equate to me not playing at all. Right now there's a lot more pushing me away from the game itself than trying to keep me here, that's all I can say.

WvW is like the wild wild west - that's why I like it. You can be sure of nothing, except if you have the greater number (and that doesn't always equate to win 100% of the time). I like absolutely everything about it - having to try every class, builds that utilise their racial skills, every weaponset, every kind of build (pow/condi/hybrid), gimmick build, just anything to try and see how it does. I love that stuff. Even losing motivates me. If this mode were to go, I'd actually have all the time to spend on the other games I've shunned ever since I started playing gw2 (I started Dec 2k15 just when I was starting Fallout 4, haven't been able to really play any game since, because I dedicated all my time to gw2/wvw). I suppose if it were removed I don't know how I'd feel honestly. Like a piece of me died maybe heh. But then I'd be able to play other stuff. Argh I don't know... I wouldn't really play much pve that's for sure. Maybe just login to keep the account active. In the end it would equate to me not playing at all. Right now there's a lot more pushing me away from the game itself than trying to keep me here, that's all I can say.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:Well I suspect their gem sales would plummet. Most PvE'ers I suspect have more than enough gold to convert to gems to get whatever they need off the TP. WvW'ers however, I'm sure are the bulk of their gem sales.

Do WvW players buy a lot of Gem Store items?

Anecdotally yes. I have seen:

• WvW whales that refuses to play PvE, and instead convert gems to gold to fund their WvW plays and skins.
  • People who literally pays for entire guild's (even multiple guild's) server transfer cost by converting gems to gold -> send gold -> then gold to gems
  • People like me who buys convenience items for bags management, finishers and cool skins every now and then to show off in WvW.
  • I don't make a lot of gold playing wvw, so I sometimes convert gems to gold for some skins I really wanted to craft
  • People who transfers all the time by buying gems with $$$
  • There are even people who buy boosters and utility primer

Unless I see some official statistics, I do not believe WvW-focused players spend less money per person in comparison to PvE+PvP players combined

Unless they were able to make pve enemies as interesting to fight as players - eg NO million hp bullet sponges, properly unpredictable AI, stomping (I really want stomping in pve), etc - if they could do that then maybe. My primary reason for playing pvp is unpredictability of opponents and faster ttk, more like action rpg/tps fight mechanics - compared with usual mmo style of memorising highly predictable "bosses" and performing an indefinite set of skill rotations which I find ludicrously boring.

They could model pve enemies on hotm class npcs and increase their diversity and skill set - but that's pretty unlikely tbh.

Current pve combat is too boring so I'd only continue playing for fashion wars and casual story.

Archived